Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Podcasts

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I like most GFW guests. Max Rushden is ok for a one off show, but definitely going to unsubscribe now that Jimbo is gone.
    Gbear wrote: »
    Didn't it go really badly, by Ken's own admission?

Like he turned up late having missed his flight or something like that?

I think he went on the piss with barry glendenning the night before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Ken presented two episodes in 2009. He talked on Second Captains about how it didn't go well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »
    At least if he was bad it means they won't come looking now they want to replace Richardson.

They were having a joke about it on Second Captains yesterday, it became a send up of how footballers passively fan the flames of speculation when they are linked with a transfer. Lots of Ken talking about how "happy" he was to was to work for Second Captains, but that it was an "honour" to be linked with Football Weekly. He's 10-1 with the bookies to replace Richardson but there's no chance he'll be leaving SC. Anyway, he'd be wasted presenting FW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

The football show podcast from Off the Ball
    Graham Hunter - The Big Interview
    Beyond the Pitch

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭RVD420

If Ken "Noodle Head" Early starts presenting Football Weekly it will be the final nail in the coffin for me. Cannot stand him.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Ronan Raver77

I don't get a chance to listen to much but Graham Hunter has some great interviews on his podcast and the football show on Newstalk is also a good one.
    https://audioboom.com/channel/grahamhunter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

I thought second captains you had to pay for now? I seem to be able to still listen through itunes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

POKERKING wrote: »
    I thought second captains you had to pay for now? I seem to be able to still listen through itunes.

2 free shows a week.
    More for patreon subscribers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

I don't get a chance to listen to much but Graham Hunter has some great interviews on his podcast and the football show on Newstalk is also a good one.
    https://audioboom.com/channel/grahamhunter
    Has to be one of the worst football contributors around, he's the only guy that makes me turn off the radio when he's on

Pete Moss wrote: »
    Posted in the Second Captains thread by foxtrot101:

https://twitter.com/TheFinal_Third/status/873146560707788802

Ken Early recalling Saipan. Pretty decent pod if only for nostalgia purposes of one of the most infamous moments in Irish sport.
    Ken really gets into recalling the before, during and aftermath of Keane & McCarthy's fallout in great detail. One of the lads on the pod likens the incident to Ireland's "OJ Simpson" trial, which I thought was a good description. I can still remember where I was when I heard Keane was leaving and the media coverage which followed.

Just listened to this, thought it was absolutely excellent. I know he's a bit marmite but I really like Ken Early have to say. Hence if you can part with a fiver a month I would also highly recommend Second Captains, probably the best sports podcast around imo.

First football weekly of the season is up.

Max Rushen and Barry Glendinning.

Ah heyor! They must be joking.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I don't mind Rushden. Might give it a necessary freshening up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Just gave FW a spin out and it's full of allusions to ACjimbo jumping ship, all a bit juvenile really. Rushdon is okay but he is a jokester and having him and bazza in the Alan Davies role means it's unbalanced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,925 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Rushton as the new full time host and talk of going behind a paywall the Guardian really want to kill off FW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Just listened to this, thought it was absolutely excellent. I know he's a bit marmite but I really like Ken Early have to say. Hence if you can part with a fiver a month I would also highly recommend Second Captains, probably the best sports podcast around imo.

Yeah, I really like him as well to be honest. Could totally see why people mightn't though, with his borderline trolling arrogance. But even when I disagree with him, it usually sparks some interesting thoughts and ideas. Fan of his political podcasts too. Been well worth the subscription fee so far.

On that Seipan podcast he spoke on - I enjoyed what was said, but the two hosts giggling at everything, funny or not, was a bit grating. Find the same issue with Off The Ball sometimes these days too.

Just gave FW a spin out and it's full of allusions to ACjimbo jumping ship, all a bit juvenile really. Rushdon is okay but he is a jokester and having him and bazza in the Alan Davies role means it's unbalanced.

Yeah they really went over the top with it

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Pete Moss

Personally, I didn't think they crossed any lines. The lads on FW were always pretty quick to take the p*ss out of one another. I'd prefer they keep in line with that rather than give AC Jimbo and Producer Ben a mushy send off.

I think the fact the Neymar story broke this week meant they could take the micky out of Richardson leaving a bit more.

If that line of banter continues into next week, week after, then I'd have an issue with it ,because the joke would be stale by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I found it a little grating to be honest. A reference and joke here and there is fine (and can be funny) but it felt like the whole first part and some was about change.

I just wonder how many people who listen to the podcast know that Jimbo is gone.

Also a big fan of The Second Captain's podcasts. Considering I don't even watch that many other sports, I still find most of the podcasts about them to be entertaining.

• Advertisement

I'm wondering if anyone will know where to find Richardson's new home. Leaving a well established property and setting up afresh is a huge risk. A link on his twitter account won't be enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Think I'll be making the jump, with a heavy heart. Before any word of this broke, for the past year I've been noticing myself drifting while FW has been on. It was absolutely essential back in the day with Barry, Jimbo, Sean Ingle, Raphael, Sid, Paolo etc every week. Even before Jimbo left, they diluted it by letting the random 'other guys' who'd usually cover a spot when the regulars were gone take over. And they all sound the same, aren't particularly podcast-trained and don't really offer much in the way of groundbreaking analysis/humour. I liked when Max would fill-in and get abused, but not as a full-time deal. It's time, sadly.

Hoping that Jimbo's new show can fill the void and gets some of the old regular heads in on occasion. There's definitely a need in my life for a show like it (Second Captains football isn't enough alone and I've tried The Game etc and they weren't for me), so I'll look at it like a new opportunity, although I will miss Barry to be fair.

I liked the Brazilian guy - sounded like he'd just woken after a heavy night on the tiles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

The Game is a hard listen, I wish Marcotti would get his sinuses sorted out.

FW is in danger of becoming The Ramble if they don't rein in that Rushden clown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Nice to see Jimbo's new pod happy to take the piss out of themselves a bit too - their episode description:

"Pod legend James Richardson crosses the Rubicon with Kelly Cates, James Horncastle, Julien Laurens, and Yoko Macintosh to preview the new Premier League season..."

Listening to it now, alas no download option on audioboom

Any use?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Is the new James Richardson pod up on iTunes yet? Can't seem to find it.

Worked fine for me on the podcast app anyway.

Good show... with Jimbo on board it's basically business as usual. Carries right on where he left off with Football Weekly really. Guests all decent... not totally gone on Julien Laurens, but he's grand. Nice to have Kelly Cates added into the mix too, definitely a good addition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I never got the love in for FW. It was just one pompous loudmouth after another as far as I could tell.. and that Irish lad being one of the worst.

lawred2 wrote: »
    I never got the love in for FW. It was just one pompous loudmouth after another as far as I could tell.. and that Irish lad being one of the worst.

It degraded a bit over time as the weekly guests dropped in quality. A few of them were really getting on my nerves by the end of last season, so quite happy to have something with Richardson, horncastle and Macintosh, with new guests added in, and some of the better old ones from previous iterations probably getting some time as well. Think think i'll miss Wilson, Glendenning etc.

Macintosh goes over the top sometimes. But the difference between Jimbo and Rushden is night and day, as presenters.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

The new pod is very similar in structure to FW but without Glendenning so better.

When I search The Totally Football Show in iTunes I get the individual episode but not the podcast which is odd

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

It seems like they're having some issues with itunes. I just added the feed to my podcast app (which takes from itunes)

https://audioboom.com/channels/4921650.rss

yeah same, I added that RSS feed to PocketCasts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Is the new James Richardson pod up on iTunes yet? Can't seem to find it.

Doesn't seem to be available in Ireland

I have it downloaded and ready to go. What I did was, in the iOS Podcasts app, I did a search then downloaded the first episode. That meant the podcast appeared in the 'Not Subscribed' section of my list of podcast. I changed the settings in it into 'Subscribed' and boom.

• Advertisement

Doesn't seem to be available in Ireland

I'm listening to it right now at my desk in SoCoDu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I'm listening to it right now at my desk in SoCoDu

They must have fixed it since last night.

I see the Telegraphs Total Football podcast is top of the sports podcast charts, a lot of disappointed people I'd imagine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

leggo wrote: »
    Any use?

Pretty standard fare really. Not a bad start at all.

Think they could do with highlighting segments going forward.

i.e.

0:00 - 21:47: Premier League Chat
    22:00 - 29:30: La Liga with Sid Lowe

Something to that effect. I only say because there's a good chunk of European football I have no interest in.

Yeah I listened earlier and liked it. They just picked up where the old FW show picked up, except they seemed to have a bit of pep in their step with it being a new project. Last week's FW seemed like forced banter with people who didn't know each other that well but knew banter was expected of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

The Totally Football Show seems to be doing ok anyway after week one in iTunes chart which is a decent indicator I guess. FW lagging behind.

https://twitter.com/TheTotallyShow/status/896023427638841346

The iTunes chart is based on new subscriptions, so that's not surprising really.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Thought Total Football podcast was good this week, better than Football Weekly.

Surprised to hear the lads on FW having a go at Shay Given, can see myself stopping listening more and more as the season go's on with Rushden presenting

• Advertisement
Advertisement