Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Podcasts

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭looie

One football podcast per week is plenty for me so I've unsubscribed from FW and gone with The Totally Football Show for my AC Jimbo fix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

• Totally Football Show
    • Second Captains
    • Football Fives
    • Sunday Suppliment
    • Big Interview with Graham Hunter

Totally Football Show
    Considering it's Jimbo with Macintosh moving away from Football Weekly and maintaining the same, good guests with new ones included, it was a no brainer for me. I like the setup, I like how it's not a pandering to the lowest common denominator and always appreciate how Richardson spearheaded shows treat the viewer/listener as actually coherent, knowledgeable and intelligent fans. Thought the first show had the typical good mix of wit, laughs, good chat and discussion and views. So would assume this will be a safe mainstay going forward

Second Captains
    I actually didn't like these three fellas from the Newstalk days, and if I'm really honest I still amn't overly enamoured with them now. A friend told me to check an episode last summer as it was some indepth United discussion that was ludicrous, and I've stuck with it since. I think the views and opinions can be awfully wide of the mark, Early is to pushy with his opinions and thwarts discussions to shape his narrative which I guess is fine and the point of a podcast, but sometimes its ridiculous. Tough at times as a United fan as he clearly has an agenda with Mourinho.

I guess I do like the flow of the show and the guests are good and because maybe its Irish its a lot more blunt and no nonsense then others. I subcribed to the world service but I only listen to the football ones, and just skip everything else.

Football Fives
    Got into this from the start since it had Daniel Storey(a journalist from F365 I like), two guys from the IBWM 100 which I read every year, and Ryan Kearney from Opta, so figured that's interesting.

And it hasn't disappointed. Lighthearted, somewhat freewheeling it's a show with 5 questions a week that can be free for all, from the listeners or following a topic. I think it can be insightful, its lighthearted and its an easy listen. Resembles at times what you and mates would take about when they do their hypothetical stuff, so its just for me good fun and easy listening.

Sunday Suppliment
    Watching this on Sky as long as I can remember, back with Jimmy Hill and I've kept going since moving to podcasts as opposed to the show. I've an interest in journalism and the media in football, and how it can shape fan opinion and narrative. So it's an interesting show to hear the varying takes, but its also interesting to hear this journalists speak too. From it I've found some pretty decent journalists who I then read, and I've also found some detestable characters and people who I know are full of nonsense and avoid.

For a once a week pod, its my monday morning commute listen.

Big Interview with Graham Hunter
    A lot of people don't seem to like Hunter but I do. His interview series has been very good, and while he is a bit of a lick arse,and a bit high and mighty about the type of football he associates himself with, I find the interviews pretty good. And I don't mind him at all. I thought he was always a good opinion journalist and a good reader of the game.

His latest addition in terms of talking about the weeks affairs I havn't got stuck into much, but I did listen to one which was basically transfer speculation and he spoke with what felt like good sourcing and authority on some stuff that did come to pass, or as of yet hasn't happened.

Pretty much keeps me going for the week and havnt really felt the need to find anything else to add to the mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Would agree with most of what you are saying Doc, prefer 2nd Captains myself but do find the Utd talk annoying most the time due to Ken's hatred of Mourinho. 
    Never heard of Football Fives so will give it a go. 

Afraid I can't agree at all about Hunter, cant stand the man!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Totally Football is pretty good alright. It's basically the old Football Weekly minus Barry Glendenning. Some of the old heads have already appeared (Honigstein, Horncastle, Julien Laurens) along with new ones like Kelly Cates and Leroy Rosenior this week. Iain McIntosh's flights of whimsy are probably a bit overdone at this stage alright.

Football Weekly might be a struggle to get through this year with Max Rushden presenting every week and Barry Glendenning still a regular on most episodes. Some of the other contributors like Jonathan Wilson are still pretty good but Rushden and Glendenning together as a double act is a lot to overcome.

Second Captains is still pretty decent. Not a big fan of Miguel Delaney's motormouth although they do get other interesting contributors on. I do enjoy Ken's barely concealed contempt for Mourinho though.

Is The Game even still going this season? Either way with Marcotti involved I'm avoiding it.

Noticed a lot of the papers are now doing football podcasts too. Both the Independent and Telegraph have started ones recently.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Having listened to the new Richardson podcast, Kelly Cates was an excellent addition, was that just last week or is she there longer term?

She would be an example of a far superior presenter than Richardson. She can manage the lighter moments like him but also take on more in-depth stuff properly.

Football Weekly hasn't been weakened by the change in presenter, but more the constant stream of their minute-by-minute bloggers appearing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Good comprehensive list there Doc; I love good comprehensive answers! I also have never heard of Football Fives, but must check it out, based on what you say.

Totally get what you're saying about Ken Early on Second Captains. Personally, I think he's great. He does spoof a bit, but I think it's refeshing how he has a different perspective on the game compared to the received wisdom you'll hear elsewhere. He is, undoubtedly, fixated on Mourinho though - he should cut back on the talk about him. The other non-football pods of Second Captains are hit and miss. If they have an interesting guest on or are talking about an interesting sport they can be fascinating, but sometimes if it's all GAA or Rugby talk it can be pretty weak stuff.

Anyone else listen to The BBC World Football Phone In? I think it is a pretty good show. Tim Vickery is outstanding, even if he does repeat himself from time to time. I feel like I learn a little each time I listen to it, as opposed to just hearing guys chew the fat over the latest goings on in the soap opera that is football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Kelly cates added very little on her appearance, I think for now she's only suitable for a dumbed down show like 606. Leroy rosenior was a little bit odd, his jokes were uncomfortable/unfunny and his contention that Klopp hadn't improved Liverpool was dubious in the extreme.

They need to look to improve their guests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

SC is a fun show, I think it's better taken as irrelevant than hard analysis. I think the show is hamstrung by Ken not having attended a PL game since he worked for newstalk. I think Ken is very inventive and intelligent but his view is warped from watching every from a TV perspective rather than with his own eyes in the press box.

dfx- wrote: »
    Having listened to the new Richardson podcast, Kelly Cates was an excellent addition, was that just last week or is she there longer term?

She would be an example of a far superior presenter than Richardson. She can manage the lighter moments like him but also take on more in-depth stuff properly.

Football Weekly hasn't been weakened by the change in presenter, but more the constant stream of their minute-by-minute bloggers appearing.

Think it was a once off, believe its only Richardson and Macintosh that will appear week to week.

Think you might be going strong there in labelling her a far superior presenter than Richardson. She was a good guest, and added to the shows flow of fun, laughs and serious discussion and viewpoints. But there are stronger guests, there are weaker guests, I wasn't blown away by it, simply just nodding away at a good show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Kelly Cates will be on today's show also.

• Advertisement

Arghus wrote: »
    Good comprehensive list there Doc; I love good comprehensive answers! I also have never heard of Football Fives, but must check it out, based on what you say.

Totally get what you're saying about Ken Early on Second Captains. Personally, I think he's great. He does spoof a bit, but I think it's refeshing how he has a different perspective on the game compared to the received wisdom you'll hear elsewhere. He is, undoubtedly, fixated on Mourinho though - he should cut back on the talk about him. The other non-football pods of Second Captains are hit and miss. If they have an interesting guest on or are talking about an interesting sport they can be fascinating, but sometimes if it's all GAA or Rugby talk it can be pretty weak stuff.

Anyone else listen to The BBC World Football Phone In? I think it is a pretty good show. Tim Vickery is outstanding, even if he does repeat himself from time to time. I feel like I learn a little each time I listen to it, as opposed to just hearing guys chew the fat over the latest goings on in the soap opera that is football.

I do like listening to the three lads, I just sometimes find Early get's a notion in his head, and he will twist every narrative or topic to fit that notion. Like I said look its part of the podcast dynamic where you are sharing opinions, just sometimes I find it obscure.

Like he has massively latched onto the United height bandwagon, and where as plenty of other pieces, commentators etc. caveat it all with "but these guys can play" he seems to not even acknowledge it as a caveat to his own arguement.

I do enjoy listening to him though, even if his opinions conflict with mine. And I wouldn't be strong calling him a spoof or bluffer or anything, we just differ on stuff. Ironically (considering the Giles incident) I'd find Giles or Dunhpy much more spoofed or bluff then Early. He is someone I guess I like listening to because he looks at football through eyes like me, with the modernisation, keeping with the times and clearly understand the nuances happening on the pitch or at a club or with a story.

His political podcasts have actually become a massive added bonus to the world service dub for me. I was ignoring them initially but listened to three last week and thought they were brilliant, his hosting of the interviews are top notch and it's really, really interesting stuff.

As for the GAA stuff, I've no interest in those sports so I skip them, along with the US show. But for €5 a month, its incredible value for the content being provided.

Dots1982 wrote: »
    SC is a fun show, I think it's better taken as irrelevant than hard analysis. I think the show is hamstrung by Ken not having attended a PL game since he worked for newstalk. I think Ken is very inventive and intelligent but his view is warped from watching every from a TV perspective rather than with his own eyes in the press box.

If I'm honest I feel that somewhat works for him since the audience he is addressing, are seeing the same thing. So either they take the same views, conflict against or get something insightful.

I don't think he pretends to be some tactical analyst or genius like his peers like Hunter or others, but he's usually ok. Think the show recognise that feeling the audience will want justification hence why they get the English based lads on for the hot topics.

Ironically, they frequently have Delaney on with the English lad as a duo, both of whom attend games, and I couldn't take more issues with the insights and opinions and analysis of games provided, by two journalists who attend multiple games a week. They are really poor, granted I don't rate Delaney, but over the course of my listenership I've become accustomed to this English fella and I immediately sigh in the car.

And thankfully I don't think I've heard Dion Fanning on since the WS launched, although that might change with upcoming internationals.

Enjoying the new James Richardson podcast. Kelly is a good addition.

It was great to unsubscribe from the guardian podcast and it's fantastic I never have to listen to the insufferable and vacant Glendenning again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Seems like Kelly is going to be on the Monday shows - from the trend so far anyway. Like her, think she's a good addition. Think she'll get better over time too as she gets used to the format. She always seems to want to say more, but they need to keep moving on to the next topic, so it'll likely just take a little bit of an adjustment to decide on the aspect of a match/story she wants to talk about most, and drop the rest.

Her being stifled in talking about the receding joy in football got me thinking though - i'd love if this new show put out an extra episode on a tuesday or wednesday or something, like a small addendum show, just 1 or 2 people on it, where they just picked one topic and stayed with it. So Kelly could get 20 or 30 minutes with Jimbo to just really dig into the idea of Joyless Football support she was having to rush through. The next week it could be Macintosh with something on his mind, the next, Rafa Honigstein or Sid Lowe or whoever.

With match results and previews, they need to cover so much on the Monday and Thursday that there's little room for general topical discussions. Could be an easy thing to do, but provide a great extra insight into the game in general.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

Football Ramble have a new pod out too - On The Continent.

It doesn't have that geordie fella, which is a strength imo. It DOES have non-comedian journalists - Andy Brassell and James Horncastle (should that be Whorecastle, he's bleedin everywhere!).

I really like Brassell, and the only other place he can be heard is on that ridiculous World Football Phone In from BBC, and Horncastle is well known from FW.

Decent show, Marcus Speller is a decent presenter and is able to hold it together, Luke Moore is properly out of place though, he doesn't have the football chops to be on there with Brassell and Horncastle, and his constant need to joke and laugh at his own jokes is painful.

Good content though, properly in-depth European football show with no focus on the EPL at all. Get rid of Moore and leave him on The Ramble with the other eejit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,925 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Dragging this up as this one is a great listen some of you may have heard the ad for it on today's Totally Football pod.

Werner Herzog discussing football what's not to like about that so check it out wherever you pick get your pods from..

The Cinema of the Pitch: Game of Our Lives Episode 1..Host David Goldblatt discusses football and filmmaking with acclaimed director Werner Herzog.

Ha, great, i'll check that out! Love a bit of Herzog.

While the thread's been boosted, is anyone else bothered by the Totally Football shows taking funding from Paddy Power?

It's becoming a very serious issue in football now, and something Jimbo and co discussed on the old Guardian podcast when Barton got done, but now of course they'll never mention it again. The lads on Second Captains have done a few great segments on it recently.

This just feels like, as much as buying exposure, it's also buying silence. And I hate the way it's been integrated as a segment in and of itself, actively discussing the odds of the week, rather than just being 30 second ads every so often.

I get the feeling they're trying to balance morality, with the mens mental health ads they've been promoting recently as well, but I still think they're causing more harm than good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »

Very simplistic idea of addiction.

And also if it was just normal advertising it wouldn't bother me quite so much, but it's sneakier and more subversive than that. It's slipped in there as banter-y discussion for nearly 5 minutes per episode.

Doesn't bother me in the slightest. If someone is in trouble gambling then they should look closer to home and stop gambling instead of blaming advertising.

Advertising works or else it wouldn’t exist and they wouldn’t pay for it.

I don’t believe children should be so easily exposed to it and that’s what they’re targeting before they undergo the same restraints as the alcohol and tobacco industry. They are making sure a new generation of problem gamblers exists before that happens. So another 50-60 years of business.

If you think people should ‘look a closer to home’ then we shouldn’t care about any problems that exist and effect others in society.

I hate the fact that it’s so ‘innocently’ part of that podcast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,925 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Very simplistic idea of addiction.

And also if it was just normal advertising it wouldn't bother me quite so much, but it's sneakier and more subversive than that. It's slipped in there as banter-y discussion for nearly 5 minutes per episode.

To be fair it usually is the last 5 mins after all the football talk. I finish up then as I know its over and it's only the PP ad.

Is it any worse than seeing Ray Winstone before and during halftime in a game on the box giving you odds.

I do agree with you that it is a subversive way all these gambling companies market themselves.

To be fair it usually is the last 5 mins after all the football talk. I finish up then as I know its over and it's only the PP ad.

Is it any worse than seeing Ray Winstone before and during halftime in a game on the box giving you odds.

I do agree with you that it is a subversive way all these gambling companies market themselves.

I do the same, but at the same time I daresay we're not their target.

I would say its worse than the Ray Winstone thing alright though, because of the way it's masquerading as content, in the same way the betting section of The Last Word on Today FM used to be back in the day - they got rid of that over the morality of it I believe (so said Matt Cooper a while back when they did a segment on gambling).

And as I mentioned, as well as that bit of advertising they get, they also guarantee that one of the most listened-to football podcast hosts can never talk about a major issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Here's my own football Podcast aswell main focus is arsenal and United

up to episode 20 now :)

https://soundcloud.com/brian-oregan-932825069/bp-zone-episode-20

Christ. You paint a pretty grim portrait of an anti-social 'society'.

Honestly the thing I love most about Ireland is the mentality of people taking care of each other, making sure others are sorted out. It's the thing i've missed most since I left. There's none of that over here, and in areas that are in a bit of trouble without any sort of social safety net, it's just a self-propogating dystopian nightmare. It's really fuckin' horrible. Any mistake or failing in your mental stability and the punishment comes back ten-fold as the repercussions pile up and suck people in like quicksand, and it's inescapable.

So give me a society where people give a fuck about each other any day of the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

and I do listen weekly to the totally football podcast aswell and those gambling ad's are woeful , can't stand them , its the same as the TV coverage though its all over it

Nope, left welll after the celtic tiger. But I didn't see the importance of the social support and infrastructure until I left and then felt the sudden absence of it, when you see mass homelessness, ridiculous working conditions, horrendous welfare, atrocious educational opportunities, mass incarceration etc. Honestly, we don't realise how good Ireland is in many ways. It's not perfect obviously, but there's a safety net inherent in being Irish. Even something like the housing and homeless crisis - it's a bit of a disaster, but at least people talk about it. it's seen as an issue, and gets coverage and pressure. Here, I expect several homeless people died within 10 miles of me last night, and no word will ever be spoken. It's not even part of the conversation.

Straying from the point here anyway... but Totally had a choice in how they decided to go about funding... they were guaranteed listenership with Jimbo on board, but clearly money won out. Gambling addiction imo deserves to be treated just as seriously as alcohol/drug addiction.

On podcasts in general, Second Captains is my favourite by a mile... love the range of topics, both in and out of sport.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Ha, great, i'll check that out! Love a bit of Herzog.

While the thread's been boosted, is anyone else bothered by the Totally Football shows taking funding from Paddy Power?

It's becoming a very serious issue in football now, and something Jimbo and co discussed on the old Guardian podcast when Barton got done, but now of course they'll never mention it again. The lads on Second Captains have done a few great segments on it recently.

This just feels like, as much as buying exposure, it's also buying silence. And I hate the way it's been integrated as a segment in and of itself, actively discussing the odds of the week, rather than just being 30 second ads every so often.

I get the feeling they're trying to balance morality, with the mens mental health ads they've been promoting recently as well, but I still think they're causing more harm than good.

Jimbo and Co did mention it. The first show they did with PP sponsorship they got a few mails about it. They stated clearly that the PP advertising paid for the show. Without it the show would be done by paid subscription which they did not want to do.

Quickly Kevin, Will He Score?

Josh Widdicombe and others discuss 90s football nostalgia. Full of amusing anecdotes, references to names and pop culture from another era.

Here's a typical episode, James Acaster is the guest, reviewing one of the most infamous football documentaries ever...

https://www.acast.com/quicklykevin/jamesacaster-s02e06

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

The game is much better with Natalie Sawyer is on it.

Pity Marcotti is still on it though.

Another funny episode of Quickly Kevin, where they analyse Steve Bruce's book "Striker"...

https://www.acast.com/quicklykevin/ivograhamonstevebrucesstriker-s01e09

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Anyone listen to the Peter Crouch podcast? Some interesting/funny stories from his career. But there's 2 lads leading the podcast that just make it about them. Awful interviewing, not letting Crouch expand on his answers by himself, before chipping in with a long winded question most of the time unrelated to the topic he's talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Anyone listen to the Peter Crouch podcast? Some interesting/funny stories from his career. But there's 2 lads leading the podcast that just make it about them. Awful interviewing, not letting Crouch expand on his answers by himself, before chipping in with a long winded question most of the time unrelated to the topic he's talking about.

Does he have his own podcast ?

Advertisement