Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BusConnects Dublin - Bus Network Changes Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Yup, all politics is local.

There are a couple of areas adversely affected for sure, but in the main, it looks good once we get used to hubs and spokes and changing buses to get there quicker etc.

I really hope parish pump politics does not destroy this chance to hopefully improve things for bus commuters at last.

The politicians will take their lead from the feedback they're getting on the doorstep, if the feedback is negative then expect the politicians to be negative.

Nobody is going to take a big hit for some nebulous greater good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭john boye

Bambi wrote: »
    The politicians will take their lead from the feedback they're getting on the doorstep, if the feedback is negative then expect the politicians to be negative.

Nobody is going to take a big hit for some nebulous greater good.

In many cases since BC was announced it's been quite the opposite. Sure, there have been genuine negative feedback but We've seen the likes of Jack O'connor and many others either completely misunderstand the proposals or wilfully misrepresent them in an attempt to rile up constituents and get their name in the press.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

There are several "Save the <insert route here>" groups appearing on Facebook. Its begun.
    salmocab wrote: »
    All it takes is a local politician with an eye on the dail next year and a meeting upstairs in a pub.

Yep, something similar got posted in the Dunboyne FB group last week or so and everyone's already completely riled up over the whole thing and calling for it to be scrapped. Can't see past the whole "having to change buses in the centre" lark to notice the massive frequency jump 🙄

john boye wrote: »
    In many cases since BC was announced it's been quite the opposite. Sure, there have been genuine negative feedback but We've seen the likes of Jack O'connor and many others either completely misunderstand the proposals or wilfully misrepresent them in an attempt to rile up constituents and get their name in the press.

Jack O'Connor has been elected to sweet FA. Name a few other TDs and councillors who came out agin it and you'll find they checked which way the wind was blowing on the ground first. Noel Rock being a case in point.

Except for the trotskyites who protest against everything as a matter of course

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Jack O'Connor has been elected to sweet FA. Name a few other TDs and councillors who came out agin it and you'll find they checked which way the wind was blowing on the ground first. Noel Rock being a case in point.

Bar Noel Rock who to me comes across as very naive when commenting on things all the other TDs and Councillors who have come out against these proposals by and large have been members of opposition parties mostly FF and SF.

They have been for the large part the ones who have been spreading information to the public about these changes not the NTA a lot of which is either false information, exaggerated information or information which has been twisted to suit their agenda.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

There are several "Save the <insert route here>" groups appearing on Facebook. Its begun.

An associate of mine started a petition to save the x. When I challenged him on it he said he didn't even use public transport. Christ wept

Stephen15 wrote: »
    He's a Wicklow Councillor.

He ain't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

I’m concerned the NTA aren’t doing enough to address these politicians groups / from looking at conversations their PR lead is having on Twitter it appears they’re turning down invites to support the councillors at their meetings.
    It seems like a great way to nip in the bud any lies.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I have a question

Was the contract to Go Ahead not based on the current routes? How will that contract work if the routes all change?

Ian

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Contracts can always be amended.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Kh1993

Except Noel Rock went off on a mad one about there being ‘war’ if the proposals on the Swords Road becoming a ‘one way system’ outside the Omni went ahead. Which was either a massive lie or misunderstanding. Can’t claim that as “checking which way the wind was blowing”.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Kh1993 wrote: »
    Except Noel Rock went off on a mad one about there being ‘war’ if the proposals on the Swords Road becoming a ‘one way system’ outside the Omni went ahead. Which was either a massive lie or misunderstanding. Can’t claim that as “checking which way the wind was blowing”.

Where did he say that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,297 ✭✭✭howiya

I have a question

Was the contract to Go Ahead not based on the current routes? How will that contract work if the routes all change?

Ian

I think it was based on a percentage of routes. Most of the routes that are changing have already had a replacement identified in the literature. Presumably go ahead will operate the replacement

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

I have a question

Ian

A specific clause in the GA tender (and similar standard clauses are in all PSO contracts) was "the Authority reserves the right to add or omit routes to/from the scope of the contract".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,306 ✭✭✭markpb

Contracts can always be amended.

Public contracts awarded under tender are not easily changed and with good reason. If you could change them after awarding, an unsuccessful competitor could claim that they would have been a better/cheaper candidate under the new contract.

I'd be reasonably sure the contract was written with changes in mind. For example, it might say that the operator has to provide 1,000,000km of revenue-service bus operations per year, probably constrained by a general geographic areas and an approximate number of routes.

CatInABox wrote: »
    It runs until the 28th September.

You can also submit your suggestions through email:

consultations@busconnects.ie

Huh?

Why are people saying 28th September. It is the 14th.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭davetherave

Huh?

https://www.busconnects.ie/initiatives/dublin-area-bus-network-redesign/

Public Consultation – how to give feedback
    The Dublin Area Bus Network Redesign public consultation is currently under way and will continue until September 28th 2018. We invite people to have their say on the proposed network redesign via an online survey (available below). Click on the links below for details of our information sessions and how to make a written submission.

GM228 wrote: »
    A specific clause in the GA tender (and similar standard clauses are in all PSO contracts) was "the Authority reserves the right to add or omit routes to/from the scope of the contract".

Add or omit. What about amend?

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Kh1993

Peregrine wrote: »
    Where did he say that?

Evening Herald approx two weeks ago. Article doesn’t seem to be online.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Huh?

They extended it from the original date.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

devnull wrote: »
    If we had a consultation about the results of a consultation every time we had one, where would the cycle end?

I guess I worded that wrong. I was under the impression it would be presented again pre implementation in 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

Add or omit. What about amend?

To amend you just omit the old timetable/route and add the new one.

Prime Time doing a piece on this next week, may include angry locals

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Prime Time doing a piece on this next week, may include angry locals

May?

Will we see any leadership from any elected councillors or deputies? Saying that in order to make for a better network that some people will need to change buses but that they'll be able to get further quicker and cheaper than they currently do?

Or will it just be the usual angry brigade trumpeting that "they stole our buses" when they really mean an infrequent direct bus that is really only useful to a small cohort of people who aren't in a particular rush and will do nothing to attract people out of their cars and onto public transport?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

May?

Will we see any leadership from any elected councillors or deputies? Saying that in order to make for a better network that some people will need to change buses but that they'll be able to get further quicker and cheaper than they currently do?

Or will it just be the usual angry brigade trumpeting that "they stole our buses" when they really mean an infrequent direct bus that is really only useful to a small cohort of people who aren't in a particular rush and will do nothing to attract people out of their cars and onto public transport?

My understanding is, that my area will be losing a bus that is both frequeint and is used a lot. Its being reduced to hourly. They seem to be confusing "Low Demand Areas," with places that the buses come through predominantly full already.

The alternative is a feeder that takes us quite a distance away, to use Liffey Valley as an interchange. Can't wait to see how that's gonna work.

Just as well I'm driving.

I wonder is it a status thing for communities to have a direct bus to the city centre? Maybe it might Be more useful to have frequent service to the local interchange (like Liffey valley) rather than traipsing into town.

I wonder is it a status thing for communities to have a direct bus to the city centre? Maybe it might Be more useful to have frequent service to the local interchange (like Liffey valley) rather than traipsing into town.

Dardania wrote: »

I just had a look over how it's intended for Clondalkin. I'm not keen on Liffey Valley being an interchange (I honestly wouldn't know where to put one in the area). But it has a lot of congestion as it is right now. The buses currently serving it as a means to commute on wards to town are well known to have minimal capacity. Any increase in frequency will benifit people in the immediate area and already along that line preceeding Liffey Valley, over those who'll have to use it as a node.

• Advertisement

May?

I think you'll see opinion's that are at odds with the more Utopian one that's prevalent in transport enthusiast circles. Reality has a habit of intruding

Advertisement