Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BusConnects Dublin - Bus Network Changes Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,779 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Did any details of the trial dial a ride ever get announced or is it still just woolly plans?

Where I live there's a lot of moaning about hard cases having to walk slightly longer to a stop. One footpath is really crap though

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 114 ✭✭Joker2019

IE 222 wrote: »
    There was a concept behind the liveries and rebranding of the services. City Swift was the opening of the main corridors to Lucan, Blanc, Fingal Malahide road ect, and was major success, pretty much what the NTA are doing with the "Spine" routes. City imp provided new short hop high frequency routes which have all developed into successful major routes such as the 83, 121, 122, 120, 155 (no apart of the 9) and various other routes. Network direct was a cost cutting measure but it was a successful one as well. Something a lot people fail to recognize is that Network Direct opened up and linked many suburbs within the city to a lot more people. Everything previous to it was only destined for the city centre.

The NTA are not restoring old routes pre-network direct. If anything they are continuing on with the same cross city trend and pulling more local buses out of estates and onto corridors. They are adding more capacity into the network but many living outside or beyond the main spine are going to see a frequency reduction unless you walk 10/15 mins to a new route.

Yes, but I wouldn't put this down solely to the NTA's presence. Over the last 10 years the country has come out of recession and been able to invest more into buses and with the growth and cheaper technology many of the new services we've seen introduced over the years would of came in regardless.

The QBCs were not done by DB on their own though they were done by a mixture of local authorities, DoT, Dublin Transportation Office and CIE/DB. I agree with making routes cross city but even still many routes were cut back in frequency and the number of buses in many areas was reduced some of it was somewhat logical other parts not so much.

I don't believe that the service before ND was good yes there was more buses on the road but many of the routes were duplicating one another with slight differences and were not interworked so there was a lot of bunching. I think its generally a good thing that they are focusing on the main corridors many people already go to the main corridors to get their buses. For example a lot of people from the Ballybrack, Loughlinstown and Killiney areas would walk to the N11 to get a 145 or 155 into town instead of a 7/a.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭IE 222

cgcsb wrote: »
    If you think Dublin Bus have experience and Aecom, Jacobs and Systra do not then I'm afraid you haven't a breeze.

My point proven. The NTA don't have the expertise to complete the work require and just outsource it to companies such as the ones you've mentioned.

Joker2019 wrote: »
    The QBCs were not done by DB on their own though they were done by a mixture of local authorities, DoT, Dublin Transportation Office and CIE/DB. I agree with making routes cross city but even still many routes were cut back in frequency and the number of buses in many areas was reduced some of it was somewhat logical other parts not so much.

I don't believe that the service before ND was good yes there was more buses on the road but many of the routes were duplicating one another with slight differences and were not interworked so there was a lot of bunching. I think its generally a good thing that they are focusing on the main corridors many people already go to the main corridors to get their buses. For example a lot of people from the Ballybrack, Loughlinstown and Killiney areas would walk to the N11 to get a 145 or 155 into town instead of a 7/a.

Well DB weren't out painting roadmarkings onto the streets but in terms of bus operations they were the ones who set the wheels in motion.

Smaller and overlapping routes were reduced in frequency but demand also dropped as well as funding so giving the circumstances put to them they done a good job overall.

If cross city routes (network directs doing) were removed now there would be uproar. Again high frequency main corridor routes is another DB masterpiece although it only works on roads that can handle full bus lanes on both sides and where housing and estates branch of the main arteries.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 114 ✭✭Joker2019

Well DB weren't out painting roadmarkings onto the streets but in terms of bus operations they were the ones who set the wheels in motion.

Smaller and overlapping routes were reduced in frequency but demand also dropped as well as funding so giving the circumstances put to them they done a good job overall.

If cross city routes (network directs doing) were removed now there would be uproar. Again high frequency main corridor routes is another DB masterpiece although it only works on roads that can handle full bus lanes on both sides and where housing and estates branch of the main arteries.

Not all cross city routes were introduced during network direct though the 4, 11, 16, 83, 122 and 123 were all cross city before ND. There was also cross city routes that were merged with other cross city routes like the 3, 10, 16a and 128. While some of the cuts made sense there were others that didn't sense for example the 4 was drastically reduced it used to run every 10 mins between it and the 4a and has only been restored recently to every 12 mins.

They did a fairly good job alright I would DB services are better now than during or before the recession but this has also been because of the NTA as well for example the introduction of Leap, RTPI, on board WiFi and better dual door buses has introduced the passenger experience drastically. I am not anti DB as I think it's great to see DB and the NTA working together to improve bus services which is happening with Bus Connects. DB are involved with Bus Connects as well in case you didn't realise.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

L1011 wrote: »
    If it's not introduced in the fare determination which is due any day now I think we can take it as a given that the antique Wayfarers can't handle it

Thered be no reason for them not to. Dublin bus had the T90 which lead to the leap90 when Dublin buses tickets were deprecated. And it sounds like the same as that. Who it can be redeemed with doesnt matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,779 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Thered be no reason for them not to. Dublin bus had the T90 which lead to the leap90 when Dublin buses tickets were deprecated. And it sounds like the same as that. Who it can be redeemed with doesnt matter.

Neither of them work in the same way or require as much calculation or data storage

These ticket machines are based on 30 year old technology

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

L1011 wrote: »
    Neither of them work in the same way or require as much calculation or data storage

These ticket machines are based on 30 year old technology

It doesnt need to calculate anything other than, is an event still within it's time threshold. It did that with t90 and does that with leap90.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

donvito99 wrote: »
    And that's no issue. it's no coincidence that the full force of public transport is unleashed when there is the greatest demand for it, which is midweek. To critique the plans on the basis that there will be less service at the weekend is silly

Dublin has a HUGE 24/7 manufacturing industry that employs a lot of people, many factories have hundreds or thousands of employee's. It's generally ignored because most already need a car for that work, so busconnects won't effect them anyway. But it also won't get them out of their cars either because there is no alternative being proposed for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Did any one else get a map in the letter box for there area of the changes. Looks really well. Nice and clear.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Skatedude wrote: »
    Dublin has a HUGE 24/7 manufacturing industry that employs a lot of people, many factories have hundreds or thousands of employee's. It's generally ignored because most already need a car for that work, so busconnects won't effect them anyway. But it also won't get them out of their cars either because there is no alternative being proposed for them.

And? I don't really understand whether this is supposed to be a criticism or what? Getting shift workers travelling at off-peak hours out of cars is going to be far down the list of priorities for multiple valid reasons.

It is disingenuous to counter a desire to get people out of their cars with a focus on a minority group who the plan doesn't focus on or cater for. Far fewer people commute into Dublin on the weekends. The fact that a large group of people still do doesn't change that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

There was a concept behind the liveries and rebranding of the services. City Swift was the opening of the main corridors to Lucan, Blanc, Fingal Malahide road ect, and was major success, pretty much what the NTA are doing with the "Spine" routes. City imp provided new short hop high frequency routes which have all developed into successful major routes such as the 83, 121, 122, 120, 155 (no apart of the 9) and various other routes.

Not sure on the other routes but the 83 and the 155 were already routes into the city long before imps came along, they operated as imps for a few years and then went back to double deckers. The first Only difference on the 155 to 55 route was a bit of a trip through crumlin. The imps were also a bloody nightmare, I used the 155 for college and sometimes at 8 o clock a full imp would pass and I was only at the third stop. These didn’t develop into successful routes they were already successful routes that were tinkered with and then put back.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

shanec1928 wrote: »
    Did any one else get a map in the letter box for there area of the changes. Looks really well. Nice and clear.

Every house in Dublin will get one, they do look great.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Do they look better than the POS pdfs and hmtl pages busconnects have on their site?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Bambi wrote: »
    Do they look better than the POS pdfs and hmtl pages busconnects have on their site?

They're the PDFs. What's the problem with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

CatInABox wrote: »
    They're the PDFs. What's the problem with them?

Accordion style PDF put up to be viewed online

the HTML file is basically done in word

Yeah but apart from that:

salmocab wrote: »
    Not sure on the other routes but the 83 and the 155 were already routes into the city long before imps came along, they operated as imps for a few years and then went back to double deckers. The first Only difference on the 155 to 55 route was a bit of a trip through crumlin. The imps were also a bloody nightmare, I used the 155 for college and sometimes at 8 o clock a full imp would pass and I was only at the third stop. These didn’t develop into successful routes they were already successful routes that were tinkered with and then put back.

Pretty sure the 55 and 83 were well and truly axed for sometime, less so the 55, before the Imps were introduced. The 155 was one of the later introductions and wasn't started for a few years after the 83 at least. Not 100% sure but the 155 may only have started as a result of some of the others were upgraded to bigger buses which freed up some of the Mercs to run it.

The 155 was all about a new high frequency but I think the route was a little too populated and long for the minibuses to handle.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,846 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I used the 83 or 55 daily at the time. The 83 was not axed before the Imps came in. The 55 did turn into the 155 a few years later.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Really, maybe I'm thinking about a different route. There was another route that served kimmage area before it. Was there a 54 and 54a.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭john boye

Really, maybe I'm thinking about a different route. There was another route that served kimmage area before it. Was there a 54 and 54a.

The 55 and 83 were both operating right up until they became imp routes. Both routes were chosen as they were dying on their arse and needed a reboot but they quickly became victims of their own success.

There was a 54 which went up Cromwellsfort Road and terminated in Castlelawns (and later, the square when it opened).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,846 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

There was a route done away with a few years earlier - 82 or 86? never used it myself.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I just got my local BusConnects leaflet for the Blackrock & Dun Laoghaire area this evening. Good lord; it's a huge document to read & it looks very impressive.

Also; I've seen posters where I live which say that RBB of PBP is to hold a couple of anti-BusConnects meetings in his Dun Laoghaire constituency early next week. I don't have the dates off hand for now. I should have them up here later this evening. I believe he is to have them in the Loughlinstown & Dun Laoghaire areas. He will probably spout unsubstantiated nonsense about his "perceived" flaws of the plan which will cause so much disruption for his own constituents who vote for their own deputies from the last time they had elections here. He & his other colleagues in PBP will be every facet of the plan which will cause untold "frustration" for anyone living in his own constituency.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I got the info for RBB's meetings next week. He will have 3 public meetings on BusConnects with two of them being held this Monday night.

https://twitter.com/RBoydBarrett/status/1190307918471737344

Monday the 4th of November - The Sallynoggin Inn - 7pm.

Monday the 4th of November - Loughlinstown Community Room - 8:30pm.

Thursday the 7th of November - The Bakers Corner Pub - 7pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

If you're sick of their bull**** go along, ask for the mic passed around and make your point. Call him and his anti everything crowd out

john boye wrote: »
    The 55 and 83 were both operating right up until they became imp routes. Both routes were chosen as they were dying on their arse and needed a reboot but they quickly became victims of their own success.

There was a 54 which went up Cromwellsfort Road and terminated in Castlelawns (and later, the square when it opened).

The 55 was definitely finished for a year or so before the 155 came on. Yeah I remember that 54 route now. The A only went up to Wellington IIRC.

There was a route done away with a few years earlier - 82 or 86? never used it myself.

Yeah I think the 86 rings a bell. Did that terminate or serve Bangor Circle.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Tickityboo

Nowhere near!!
    It went from Hawkins street out as far as the Graduate pub in Rochestown.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭StreetLight

That was the 81.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Tickityboo

That was the 81.

No it was the 86.
    I drove it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭StreetLight

Tickityboo wrote: »
    No it was the 86.
    I drove it

The 81 terminated at Bangor Circle.

Advertisement