Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BusConnects Dublin - Bus Network Changes Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Every time I pass the Donnybrook depot I think what prime development land.

But why not have your cake and eat it?

Build a large tall office building over the depot, but still have the depot there. Maybe even put the depot underground.

Building transport stations and hubs underground and ground floor and then offices and shopping centres above them is pretty common throughout Europe. It is a good use of valuable city centre land while still maintaining high quality public transport.

And it isn't like we don't already have experience with this. After all this is exactly what Busaras is, a bus station with offices built over it, Deptartment of Social Protection are above it.

BTW lxflyer, CIE owns all DB, BE and IR facilities and land. CIE in turn is 100% owned by the government. So in the end they will do whatever the government directs them to do with this land. And rightfully so as all this property was paid for by the Irish taxpayer.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,719 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

A rather pedantic point seeing as the mechanics of Phibsboro 1 also work in Phibsboro 2
    Well it was more to point out that it's not just BE there as many people think - there are a large number of DB vehicles there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

bk wrote: »

Along with other depots like Coyngham Rd it's a complete eyesore too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

But why not have your cake and eat it?

Build a large tall office building over the depot, but still have the depot there. Maybe even put the depot underground.

Building transport stations and hubs underground and ground floor and then offices and shopping centres above them is pretty common throughout Europe. It is a good use of valuable city centre land while still maintaining high quality public transport.

And it isn't like we don't already have experience with this. After all this is exactly what Busaras is, a bus station with offices built over it, Deptartment of Social Protection are above it.

BTW lxflyer, CIE owns all DB, BE and IR facilities and land. CIE in turn is 100% owned by the government. So in the end they will do whatever the government directs them to do with this land. And rightfully so as all this property was paid for by the Irish taxpayer.

It could be difficult as the building in Donnybrook is a protected structure.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,959 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Stephen15 wrote: »
    It could be difficult as the building in Donnybrook is a protected structure.

I'd say that's only the facade i.e. the design on top of the buildings. Could easily be dismantled and re erected surely.

I'm all for preserving our heritage don't get me wrong, but honestly this building is gross, apart from the roof thing. If it is so wonderful and so on, why allow a stupid wall to be build in front of it so no one can actually see it! I suppose it is the curvature of the construction or something. So original.

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.318741,-6.2315051,3a,90y,218.3h,91.41t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s3bxpUmaIHQPJfwiBNfTflw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

• Advertisement

I'd say that's only the facade i.e. the design on top of the buildings. Could easily be dismantled and re erected surely.

I'm all for preserving our heritage don't get me wrong, but honestly this building is gross, apart from the roof thing. If it is so wonderful and so on, why allow a stupid wall to be build in front of it so no one can actually see it!

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.318741,-6.2315051,3a,90y,218.3h,91.41t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s3bxpUmaIHQPJfwiBNfTflw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Just because you don't like it dosen't mean that others think the same. Anyway protecting a structure is not based off personal taste its based off a buildings uniqueness something which this building is as its the first building in the world to a roof of its kind. The orignal idea was to copy its template and replicate it at every CIE bus depot in the country.

The surrounding land could be sold off dont get me wrong but the building would have to remain but its use could be changed maybe some kind of hipstery place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭john boye

Is Ringsend not owned by Eircom (or whatever they're called now) anymore? Hadn't heard of it changing hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Something that needs changing in the city is enforcement of bus stops as to keep the service running and safety of passengers and basically anyone else around.

Today like every other day private coaches are parked on Nassau st.

Private vehicles parking in and right up to bus stops.

Taxis making ranks and just sitting in bus stops blocking them for intended purpose.

Earlier seen a lady park up at connolly station and a bus pulled in to let passengers off safely including a buggy so getting to the kerb was IMO very good practice for safety of passengers alighting.

Do you think this fool would move .... No.

The driver had to get out to ask her to move but she still just sat there.

Eventually she moved off to then do an illegal u-turn. But ended up going back in to the stop to block more.

I believe it is time to get serious on issues like above and have enforcement agents or parking attendants and start issuing fines.

Years ago traffic wardens would do this but they have dried up now at this stage and I believe they are near all retired or left and are not replaced.

I can't see why clampers couldn't do enforcement as they would do very well on revenue from it.

Something that needs changing in the city is enforcement of bus stops as to keep the service running and safety of passengers and basically anyone else around.

Today like every other day private coaches are parked on Nassau st.

Private vehicles parking in and right up to bus stops.

Taxis making ranks and just sitting in bus stops blocking them for intended purpose.

Earlier seen a lady park up at connolly station and a bus pulled in to let passengers off safely including a buggy so getting to the kerb was IMO very good practice for safety of passengers alighting.

Do you think this fool would move .... No.

The driver had to get out to ask her to move but she still just sat there.

Eventually she moved off to then do an illegal u-turn. But ended up going back in to the stop to block more.

I believe it is time to get serious on issues like above and have enforcement agents or parking attendants and start issuing fines.

Years ago traffic wardens would do this but they have dried up now at this stage and I believe they are near all retired or left and are not replaced.

I can't see why clampers couldn't do enforcement as they would do very well on revenue from it.

A solution would be municipal police. Common enough on the continent employed by the local council to serve the purpose of policing of local more minor issues such as traffic and parking policing, donning the white gloves when the lights are out, policing byelaws etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The buildings only talk up about half the Donnybrook site: https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3178533,-6.2318806,270m/data=!3m1!1e3
    Next to a river that floods? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Bray Head

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Anyway protecting a structure is not based off personal taste its based off a buildings uniqueness something which this building is as its the first building in the world to a roof of its kind. 

A decision to protect a structure is always done on personal taste! Planners and conservation fans like to claim there clear objective criteria but there aren't. It is just stuff they like, much of which is not that old.

Anyway you can browse the list of protected structures in Dublin and Donnybrook bus depot is not on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I just listened to a really good podcast from The Pat Kenny Show on Newstalk just now.

The podcast is on Pat Kenny's interview with Dr Jarett Walker about the redesign of the Dublin Bus Network.

If you missed the interview earlier this week; I recommend you to have a listen. A lot of very informative information in it explained in a very reasonable way.

http://www.newstalk.com/podcasts/The_Pat_Kenny_Show/Highlights_from_The_Pat_Kenny_Show/195019/The_plan_to_reinvent_Dublins_bus_system

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Feckofff

Victor wrote: »
    The buildings only talk up about half the Donnybrook site: https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3178533,-6.2318806,270m/data=!3m1!1e3Next to a river that floods? :)

The site is in a natural hollow and does flood quiet regularly. I would estimate at least once every ten years.
    Of course you could build flood defences for the site but it would flood the neighbouring houses.

I just listened to a really good podcast from The Pat Kenny Show on Newstalk just now.

The podcast is on Pat Kenny's interview with Dr Jarett Walker about the redesign of the Dublin Bus Network.

If you missed the interview earlier this week; I recommend you to have a listen. A lot of very informative information in it explained in a very reasonable way.

http://www.newstalk.com/podcasts/The_Pat_Kenny_Show/Highlights_from_The_Pat_Kenny_Show/195019/The_plan_to_reinvent_Dublins_bus_system

Yeah I listened to it myself and I thought it was good. Forgot to post the link here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

Hes a fascinating guy.
    His basic philosophy is to have a high frequency network where changing buses isnt penalised by buying another ticket.
    This will require a simplification of certain routes and also adding 2 or 3 high frequency orbital routes.
    Also a cashless card based ticketing system will most likely be introduced.

I think there will be little change in Luas, DART or other rail systems in the next 10 years really so we need to bet big on the bus network.

If you can imagine the bus network will be like the London underground.
    Whereby you know that a bus is always coming as its such a high frequency and you can get anywhere in the city with just one change.

concept-spines.jpg?anchor=center&mode=crop&width=500&rnd=131412328490000000

If you can imagine the above network but also with 2 or 3 orbital routes.
    Its much more simplified.

The idea is you can get from anywhere in Dublin to another with just one change and to change buses will just require a short walk.

Also the simplification will mean that as opposed to the seemingly endless bus numbers, routes will just be color coded.

Another analogy would be to think of it like 5 routes being added to the Luas network. Each line will be colour coded and you will know where each route starts and ends, and how to change between them. Right now, I doubt anyone can say that about the bus network.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Also the simplification will mean that as opposed to the seemingly endless bus numbers, routes will just be color coded.
    Numbers will still exist, although there is likely to be some rationalisation / simplification. It will only be in central areas (definition of 'central areas' will vary) that you can somewhat ignore numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Hes a fascinating guy.
    His basic philosophy is to have a high frequency network where changing buses isnt penalised by buying another ticket.
    This will require a simplification of certain routes and also adding 2 or 3 high frequency orbital routes.
    Also a cashless card based ticketing system will most likely be introduced.

I think there will be little change in Luas, DART or other rail systems in the next 10 years really so we need to bet big on the bus network.

If you can imagine the bus network will be like the London underground.
    Whereby you know that a bus is always coming as its such a high frequency and you can get anywhere in the city with just one change.

Has anyone told him about dublin bus? :D

you can have all the philosophy you want, it has to be implemented successfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

Bambi wrote: »
    Has anyone told him about dublin bus? :D

you can have all the philosophy you want, it has to be implemented successfully.

Yeah I was thinking that myself. The contract buyout of the marked in drivers alone will probably cost more than the new buses.

• Advertisement

Victor wrote: »
    Numbers will still exist, although there is likely to be some rationalisation / simplification. It will only be in central areas (definition of 'central areas' will vary) that you can somewhat ignore numbers.

Its a guess on my part really, but I guess theyll keep lots of numbers, but I imagine color coded routes with color coded bus stops. This is will increase usability a lot I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

brokenarms wrote: »
    Yeah I was thinking that myself. The contract buyout of the marked in drivers alone will probably cost more than the new buses.

You have to look at the organization that will be tasked with implementation. unless someone is standing over them holding them to account it will quickly slide back to whatever suits dublin bus.

Same with enforcement of lanes etc. Unless someone has to power to ensure its done then all their good ideas are goosed

Its a guess on my part really, but I guess theyll keep lots of numbers, but I imagine color coded routes with color coded bus stops. This is will increase usability a lot I think.

Maybe a colour coded LED displays aswell like this one here. Common enough in some cities on the continent.

People need to come together for the greater good and stop looking after self interest.
    Dublin Bus is vital to the city and this is the first big redesign its ever had.

The LED system looks good. Maybe have something similar on the bus stops, or maybe its too late now with displays they have.

I honestly think Buses will be one of the first forms of to give way to automated systems. The Luas also.

So maybe instead of striking, they should be learning how to code.

So for example, based on the above diagram: if I want to go from Crumlin to Ballymun, I hop on any Red line bus, hop off in the city center, walk to nearest Green line bus stop and take the next bus. It seems like a good system.
    Right now Ive no idea to make transfers like this.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

That's all well and good until you have to get a Mauve line bus to the city centre and interchange with the Turquoise bus. You're going to run out of common colours. You've already lost red and green to the Luas.

You could have symbols or names of famous irish people also. I dont think we'd run out of colours anyway

Why colours though when numbers work in nearly every other city.

I mean numbers and colours together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Kyleboy

People need to come together for the greater good and stop looking after self interest.
    Dublin Bus is vital to the city and this is the first big redesign its ever had.

The LED system looks good. Maybe have something similar on the bus stops, or maybe its too late now with displays they have.

I honestly think Buses will be one of the first forms of to give way to automated systems. The Luas also.

So maybe instead of striking, they should be learning how to code.

Morse code?

Advertisement