Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BusConnects Dublin - Bus Network Changes Discussion

Options

Comments

Wonder how the N4 & N6 will fare when introduced.

Go Ahead seem to be having awful trouble with the 17a at the moment, especially between Blanch and Santry. I see local councillors complaining on a daily basis.

The NTA apparently are aware of issues with it. I’ve heard it been said that it’s running off a ‘refined’ timetable at the minute - must be a new word to cover the countless buses not running and running short.

They’re obviously having massive staffing issues; you’d hope it would sort itself out before two key orbitals are introduced as part of BC, especially as their bus (N6) is a 10 min frequency at peak.

(rag but NTA comment and some local complaints here - https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/go-ahead-ireland-dublin-bus-22893359)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,715 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

That's a big assumption. Maybe he'll want to move into the private sector.

I'm sure he's quite capable of finding another job in the private sector.

Go Ahead are operating a "Saturday Plus" timetable at the moment - so the scheduled service level at peak times is less than it would normally be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭xper

I see the new green decal has appeared on some bus stops along the 17 route. September is an interesting choice to introduce the Southside orbitals given the return to schools and colleges. With the focus of several of the outgoing and incoming routes on UCD, it would make more sense to have them up and running before students are back and not change everything a couple of weeks into term. That said, given progress to date, the timeline will probably slip the other way anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,516 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Have I missed a trick or is there no revised date for the northside orbitals to come into effect?

• Advertisement

I imagine they are pushed back due to the current driver shortages at both companies (particularly GAI).

I doubt the NTA want to launch them until full services resume.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

The Northern orbitals have been pushed back to the end of Q2. The June 2022 date for the Western orbitals won't be met now either.

This is from October:

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭TranslatorPS

For all intents and purposes, June 2022 was listed in the W4/W6 tender as the latest takeover date, so not meeting that is grounds for whining about unfair tendering and contracting (from those who didn't win).

Better yet, has there been a single word about that tender's results? Any and all contracts should have been signed last year already.

The contract was supposed to be awarded in October/November 2021 but hasn't been awarded yet. The NTA has never met any deadline it has set so that's not surprising.

This is from November:

Phase 4 – June 2022 launch date is now at risk

Identification of the preferred tenderer for operation of W4/W6 is anticipated in coming weeks.

If the bidder has been identified now, it'll be February/March by the time the documentation is drawn up and signed. The operator then has six months to mobilise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭Qrt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭p_haugh

Interesting to note the new style green & yellow stop header has been put onto existing stops along both the 17 and 75 routes now (around the n11 at least anyways). Timetables still in the blue NTA format however.

Not for W4/W6 but it's interesting to see the NTA lease a depot site directly which is something I wanted to see them do when GAI came in.

https://www.nationaltransport.ie/wp-content/uploads/2022/01/Agreed-Minutes-of-Sept-2021-Board-Meeting.pdf

They're also looking at a permanent depot.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,875 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Used the C5 for the first time on Saturday night. Absolute torture. 57 minutes from Aston Quay to Maynooth. 😣

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭thomasj

That's crazy. Taking the 39a from town at that hour is usually 30 minutes if even to the other side of blanch centre.

Actually 2 outbound 39as passed me by in the space of 5 minutes at 2am the other night

My use of the word “torture” was in reference to the route.

Through Chapelizod, Lucan, and a trip up Captain’s Hill. 🥺

It’s a night time service - there are going to be compromises on many routes to justify the service and deliver sufficient backsides on seats.

I’m fully aware of that, but glad I hadn’t a few pints in my system.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

The NTA putting up the newer poles along the 17 route along part of the N11 is not really regarded as new info IMO. They did put up new NTA bus poles out in Taney Road in Dundrum some time last year which may have been mentioned on this site before with photographic evidence to show for it.

I wonder why the NTA would replace poles bit by bit across Dublin when the proposed phases of the project are not supposed to be implemented for some time yet.

The S route rollout is the 1st phase of the project that's going to offering 2 of the new routes in my area once it goes live. However this phase is not supposed to go live for another 8 months from now.

And I'm sitting here thinking what is the rush with updating them so quickly when other parts of Dublin that are meant to have their BC routes going live soon who have not seen them up will probably not get them in their area for some time yet.

The supply chain issues that are currently in place arising from Covid are making this whole process very confusing at the moment. If you were strict and fair with this process you would update the bus poles in accordance with each phase of the project that is going live in each part of Dublin that are going to have to the new bus routes first with every subsequent set of bus poles rolled out for other phases thereafter.

We know that new bus poles are going out for the N4/N6 at the moment. But are we seeing any movements for now along the G spine routes that was meant to go live in June.

Also the bit about the NTA acquiring a new site for either a new temporary/permanent bus depot is very interesting news. If it's being tied up with the launch of the W4/W6 this year. Would it be opened in an area like West Dublin or Kildare? Do we know anything about the size of this new depot or how many buses are going to be stored in it for the new BC routes. Will it take up some legacy bus routes that are running now but be eventually scrapped from BC.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Is that a change of policy? For the recent 24 hour routes (e.g., 39A) they stuck with the same route at night.

They did but that corridor hasn’t been “BusConnected” yet.

Where existing routes were changed to 24 operation like the 15 or 39a, existing Nitelink routes were altered to serve some of the places not served by the new 24 hour route. The 70N replaced some of the old 39N for example, which was cancelled when the 39a went 24 hours. The 49N now serves areas that the cancelled 15N did.

Ultimately there are a limit to the number of bus routes that they are going to operate at night on each corridor.

They need to serve places already covered by the existing Nitelink network on the C Spine as all Nitelink routes on the corridor were cancelled - so on the Lucan Corridor something had to serve Chapelizod, Lucan Village, South Lucan, Leixlip, Captain’s Hill, Celbridge and Maynooth.

The C1 & C2 cover the old 25N in Lucan South.

The C5 replaces the old 66N and is extended from Leixlip to Maynooth, while the C6 replaces the 67N to Maynooth via Celbridge.

As BusConnects rolls out there’s going to have to be some compromises at night I’d expect.

• Advertisement

The C6 is scheduled to take 50 mins from Tara Street to Maynooth so might be a better option than the C5 for that trip from town.

The NTA journey planner app is your guide.

As they are now regular routes they operate on the basis of a stop-by-stop timetable all along the route, rather than the express mode of Nitelink operation.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Cheers. I think it'd be a shame if they went back to 'Wanderly Wagon' routes at night. Personally I'm happier with a 39A that leaves me 1K walk from my house rather than the previous 39N which left me with just a 250-metre walk but only after a circuitous journey through D15.

Though I do acknowledge that the 'cant it just veer through this area/estate, it would only add 3 minutes to the journey' suggestions are difficult to argue with on an individual basis. They just make it an unpleasantly elongated trip for those who have to sit through multiples of such diversions.

There may be several night routes to D15 based on the new B-Spine routes, but as to how that will divvy out, God knows.

There probably will have to be some compromises though, with other routes aside from just the B1 (which replaces the 39a).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭thomasj

I would've thought the B2 route would be more likely to be the route that would be 24 hours rather than the B1 as it covers a greater reach on the route but I suppose time would tell

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

I would think that B3 at night would be B6 or B7 (depending on either there would be 2 or 3 24/7 routes) and it could cover Castleknock and Carpenterstown. Either B1 or B2 would probably cover Connolly Hospital and Waterville. If B4 wouldn't be 24/7, then I would expect the B3 to be extended after Dun Laoghaire to Sallynoggin via Kill Lane. And B1 or B2 could be extended a bit further away after the UCD, e.g., Dundrum, and on the other end probably can be extended to Dunboyne.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

It surprises me a lot that the NTA have decided to make all four C spine routes to make 24/7 once an hour. IMO this frequency is too great for Celbridge and Lucan/Adamstown (2 routes!). I would have left C5 (Maynooth route) on the N4 road skipping Chapelizod, and the C6 (Celbridge route) via Lucan Village and Chapelizod. Then I would have only made the C1 24/7 but extending after Adamstown Station to Dodsborough. I would have left the C2 day time only. All three routes at night would still make a frequency of 20 mins in comparison to the existing 15 mins.

Sorry - yes you're right - B2! Apologies - I just looked at the New Ongar Road and not Sheepmoor to check the route number.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,805 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

They'll have to add an on-board urinal at that rate.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭p_haugh

An update on the 17 route stops that have had the new flag added, they've been going around with the new timetables as well now (only spotted it on one stop so far, I assume other stops have also been done)

• Advertisement

Ah - clearly the NTA are finally updating the long out of date stop timetables for GAI operated routes and at the same time updating the stop branding.

Advertisement