Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BusConnects Dublin - Bus Network Changes Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

lxflyer wrote: »
    I don't think you read my post correctly - I'm in favour of BRT but not the vehicle type - the exact same capacity as one of the proposed articulated vehicles can be delivered by using one of the tri-axle double decks currently in operation in Berlin - the difference is that they have more seats which I think is important - I'm suggesting using them on the BRT routes.

Re capacity - the devil will be in the detail - I'm just going on what was discussed at one of the seminars.

There has been serious local opposition in the past to any proposed bus gate at Little Pace - wouldn't be taking that as a given to happen.
    "Local opposition". God I hate those words. Same reason the pedestrian route from Hartstown to Clonsilla Station is twice as long as it needs to be with locked gates preventing pedestrian access to the direct route.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

hmmm wrote: »
    What would be really nice would be some way of enforcing queues. Maybe it's just a general decline in civility, or maybe it's an influx of "new Irish" who don't share our culture, but while most people have the good grace to queue there's more than enough who will just shove their way up to the front. This will be a particular problem in a situation where people are being asked to get two buses, you don't want later arrivals forcing their way up to the front.

Irish people have never queued for buses in my 30 odd years of experience. Sure how do you queue at a stop served by multiple routes. Bus arrives and a gentle maul is formed. Those with travel cards "push" up to the right. Has been this way since at least the introduction of the paper cards

• Registered Users Posts: 17,719 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Irish people have never queued for buses in my 30 odd years of experience. Sure how do you queue at a stop served by multiple routes. Bus arrives and a gentle maul is formed. Those with travel cards "push" up to the right. Has been this way since at least the introduction of the paper cards

Since the introduction of the magnetic stripe readers this has become far more difficult.

But go to Lower Abbey Street and the 130 terminus and you'll see a queue in action!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭sharper

Even when there's only one bus involved there's no consistency in where the bus drivers will actually come to a halt. I ocassionally wonder if some of them like to stop 6 feet short of the stop just to watch everyone scramble.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

sharper wrote: »
    Even when there's only one bus involved there's no consistency in where the bus drivers will actually come to a halt. I ocassionally wonder if some of them like to stop 6 feet short of the stop just to watch everyone scramble.

There is a good reason for that. . People queuing are hazards.

Especially when they stand on the curb. Right in line with a wing mirror.

Drivers should stop well back from a line and bring the door to the most elderly or reduced mobility person there. That means they get a seat and dont get slammed by a crowd.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

brokenarms wrote: »
    Drivers should stop well back from a line and bring the door to the most elderly or reduced mobility person there. That means they get a seat and dont get slammed by a crowd.

I will say that in fairness to most drivers, when I have the baby in the pram, most drivers if they see me, will pull up right to me over any other passenger and the position of the pole.

Fair play to them, I find most drivers to be very nice and helpful folks, who are usually trying to do the right thing and have a though job sometimes having to deal with real idiots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

I wasn't sure which thread to put this in but I thought this was probably the most appropriate one. Anyway I noticed tonight a new timetable was put up at the southbound UCD bus stop I don't about the northbound stop anway the timetable listed all the bus serving the stop whether they were DB, BE or private operators the timtable was very clear and divided the services into Core, Regular and Peak only services. What I found odd about it was there was no evidance to who put it up was it The NTA, UCD or UCDSU. I highly doubt it DB, BE or any private operator.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Stephen15 wrote: »
    I wasn't sure which thread to put this in but I thought this was probably the most appropriate one. Anyway I noticed tonight a new timetable was put up at the southbound UCD bus stop I don't about the northbound stop anway the timetable listed all the bus serving the stop whether they were DB, BE or private operators the timtable was very clear and divided the services into Core, Regular and Peak only services. What I found odd about it was there was no evidance to who put it up was it The NTA, UCD or UCDSU. I highly doubt it DB, BE or any private operator.

Sounds like NTA, they are supposed to be taking over control of bus stops and information.

The change is already well underway down in Cork:

25078813470_50fa473f11.jpg

From https://www.flickr.com/photos/finnyus/

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

You have pics?

You have pics?

I don't I'm afraid as people were sittng against it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

bk wrote: »
    Sounds like NTA, they are supposed to be taking over control of bus stops and information.

The change is already well underway down in Cork:

25078813470_50fa473f11.jpg

From https://www.flickr.com/photos/finnyus/

215 and 219 are Bus Eireann buses. Is Swift Bus not operating or just not on the sign? That stop also serves the 215A according to the RTPI. Wonder to the NTA know that :D

n97 mini wrote: »
    215 and 219 are Bus Eireann buses. Is Swift Bus not operating or just not on the sign? That stop also serves the 215A according to the RTPI. Wonder to the NTA know that :D

Not my picture, just googled for an example.

I assume the BE pole was later removed (they have been elsewhere), not sure about swift.

bk wrote: »
    Not my picture, just googled for an example.

I assume the BE pole was later removed (they have been elsewhere), not sure about swift.

I noticed all the DB poles in my local area were given a fresh coat of paint there recently. I wonder why if the NTA will be replacing them soon enough.

I another note all the DB poles in my local area were given a fresh coat of paint there recently. I wonder why if the NTA will be replacing them soon enough.
    Ist it really that unusual for the left hand not to know what the right hand is doing in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

murphaph wrote: »
    Ist it really that unusual for the left hand not to know what the right hand is doing in Ireland?

I highly doubt every single stop will be changed as costs will be huge. Db have over 5k stops.

Sure bus colours are to change and they are still getting re sprayed.

I highly doubt every single stop will be changed as costs will be huge. Db have over 5k stops.

They have to change them though. It all needs to be unified.

Perhaps they'll just re paint some of the existing stops and get some new ones

All of the stops will be updated to the generic NTA style - that much is a given.

murphaph wrote: »

That project is going to take several years to implement and may not happen for another year or two - you don't just stop maintenance on the existing infrastructure in the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Surely existing poles could be reused. Airport Hopper recently put up poles on their Maynooth route. I'm sure they'd happily sell them.

• Advertisement

lxflyer wrote: »
    That project is going to take several years to implement and may not happen for another year or two - you don't just stop maintenance on the existing infrastructure in the meantime.

True enough but the this whole repainting bus stop poles is a little excessive most of stops don't need it as they've been repainted relatively recently anyway. Actually how long to some of the current stop poles date back to anyway some I'd say date all the way back to the CIE days and have just been repainted in various different DB colours over the years so its probably about time they did an overhaul.

True enough but the this whole repainting bus stop poles is a little excessive most of stops don't need it as they've been repainted relatively recently anyway. Actually how long to some of the current stop poles date back to anyway some I'd say date all the way back to the CIE days and have just been repainted in various different DB colours over the years so its probably about time they did an overhaul.

If not painted the rust badly. People damage them and peel the paint.

I noticed the last time a good few were done there was rust within a couple of months.

Love to know costs behind this as a lot of work is involved where poles will have to have concrete cut and special fittings fitted to hold poles.

Yes some have these but a lot don't and the pole was just set in the concrete.

There was a house in finglas that put the poles to use and made a very strong and big swing.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,805 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The pole in the photo from Cork looks to be unpainted and presumably either galvanised, stainless or aluminium. The old steel poles will all be removed in that case.

If not painted the rust badly. People damage them and peel the paint.

I noticed the last time a good few were done there was rust within a couple of months.

Love to know costs behind this as a lot of work is involved where poles will have to have concrete cut and special fittings fitted to hold poles.

Yes some have these but a lot don't and the pole was just set in the concrete.

There was a house in finglas that put the poles to use and made a very strong and big swing.

There is stop that is near my house thats very badly rusted I doubt its been painted in years however stop that was omitted when they were painting them there a few ago in favour that were in a better condition already.

One of my big complaints of the recent changes to 7, 59, 63 and the 111 is that not one new shelter was installed on either the Sallyglen road or the new stretch on the 63 on Pottery Road. Even what is a busy new stop just before the n11 junction with Johnstown Rd. a shelter was not installed this stop.

There is stop that is near my house thats very badly rusted I doubt its been painted in years however stop that was omitted when they were painting them there a few ago in favour that were in a better condition already.

One of my big complaints of the recent changes to 7, 59, 63 and the 111 is that not one new shelter was installed on either the Sallyglen road or the new stretch on the 63 on Pottery Road. Even what is a busy new stop just before the n11 junction with Johnstown Rd. a shelter was not installed this stop.

Nothing to do with db. They need planning and adshell was who looked after that but it seems JC decau have it now.

People can put in for to get one installed. Its a revenue spinner for them with advertising.

Nothing to do with db. They need planning and adshell was who looked after that but it seems JC decau have it now.

People can put in for to get one installed. Its a revenue spinner for them with advertising.

I know. Where do I apply

I know. Where do I apply

Contact the company it seems adshell has either sold out or merged but an email off to either should get an answer.

Seen that at cabinteely where perfectly good and fairly recent shelter was removed which in turn could well have been fitted at new location.

Contact the company it seems adshell has either sold out or merged but an email off to either should get an answer.

Seen that at cabinteely where perfectly good and fairly recent shelter was removed which in turn could well have been fitted at new location.

I wonder whats going to be done with the no longer in use shelters in Monkstown for the 8 and the top of Johnstown Road for the old 59. They could well be fitted at another location.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,805 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Having been tangentially involved in getting an out of use shelter* removed, the usual line is that they are not structurally capable of being moved. Clearly nonsense, but not a line they'll move from.

*actually a ridiculous, ad-grab installation to begin with - was put in to serve about two BE services a day in a high passing traffic area. Said BE services then moved and it was serving a DB route, two stops from the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭15MrC

Best photo I could get at the time, as my bus was just arriving and I was in a rush. UCD northbound stop.

ohhEvXE.jpg?1

Advertisement