Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BusConnects Dublin - Bus Network Changes Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Not true. The DB operated 151 often doesn't travel all the way to East Wall for the last service even though it's scheduled to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

They could've cancelled an earlier duty to ensure the last bus operated.

That only works if a driver agrees to it. Perhaps they asked every available driver and they all said no. This is why there should be heavy penalties for failing to run a last bus. Their senior management, supervisors, inspectors and almost all controllers have D licences. There's no valid reason why a senior member of staff shouldn't be dragged out of bed when this happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

That's the advantage of DB only notifying spare drivers of their duty 48hrs in advance I guess. Whatever it is it's piss poor management and I'm not for one minute blaming drivers.

I've also heard anecdotally that most GAI drivers only know 5 or 6 routes whereas the vast majority of DB drivers would be able to drive any route out of their depot. Only handful of drivers actually know all the routes.

Post edited by mikeybhoy on

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭DaBluBoi

• Advertisement

I've regularly waited for one of the last 151 with real time showing Docklands only to find the bus won't stop because it terminates in city centre, so whatever about what Google Maps says, the service isn't being provided.

RPTI is incorrect then the last 151 is scheduled to terminate at Eden Quay

The end result is the same for the user: a service promised and not delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,679 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Just to be clear here, where are you talking about boarding the bus, and at what time?

But it clearly states on the printed timetable that the last 151 terminates at Eden Quay so DB are providing the service promised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭hairymaryberry

Would not happen with DB and thats a fact

You did not realise just how good you had it until DB had those routes taken away

New DB drivers would only know a few routes, i believe its 3-4 routes

With all the route changes the last few years, senior marked in drivers would no longer know all the routes in the depot, especially if a route transfers from one depot to another, next to no marked in drivers will know it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,804 ✭✭✭thomasj

There was a case of summerhill not having a driver to run the last 120 departure from Ashtown a year or so ago .

After struggling to find a driver they reached out to phibsboro (120 used to be a PB route) who happened to get a driver who was finishing his shift on the 39As and heading back to the depot.

He agreed to do the trip and the end result was the one occasion there was a phibsboro VT on the summerhill 120 route

It was okay for the first year or two with GAI but for the last year or so GAI have turned into an absolute joke. I drive now mostly so I rarely have to use those routes anymore unless I've had a few drinks.

As i said , it would not happen with DB, the last bus will always operate

• Registered Users Posts: 5,908 ✭✭✭trellheim

Phoenix park very well served . Parkgate < 5 mins to LUAS , Zoo < 5 mins walk to 46a stop , Cabra gate, ashtown gate , castleknock gate all 37 route, and they'll get you quickly to the visitor centre , chapelizod gates 26 route. The only part not well served is Knockmaroon gate and the schools convent there which isnt planned for any services anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭the boss of me

The driver took a bit if a risk there. I wouldn't have thought it possible to get a VT through some of the smaller roads in Cabra. Especially not through Ventry Park. It was pretty foolhardy to even attempt it IMO.

This is how bad the staff retention is getting.

Two female drivers quit last week to go to a job with better hours and pay, they left DB to go work in Aldi.

But yet Go-Ahead made 1.5m profit last year from the NTA. Should've kept the routes with DB and gave that money to the drivers instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,804 ✭✭✭thomasj

With the amount of cancellations of 39as and buses passing packed stops, they desperately need the VTs back on the route

• Advertisement

It’s very simple, a pay rise won’t actually cost that much.

€100 pay rise

40% tax

4 % PRSI

4.5% USC

so the worker will get €51.50 of that €100

Now when they spent it 23% is VAT, €11.85

so of the €100 pay rise the state gets back €60.35

the driver will get €39.65

Now if they spent the pay rise on petrol or diesel the tax is 49.08% and 44.99% so that €100 pay rise after tax if spent on fuel to get to and from work would cost the government about €27 in total , but we are the greedy ones 🤡

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I'm not saying drivers shouldn't get a pay rise, but I'm not certain it would actually fix the problem, I suspect the issues we face are much more fundamental then that.

Pretty much every industry in the country is short staffed and are crying out for people. There simply isn't enough people in the country to fill all the positions. During COVID, many migrant workers returned home and they haven't returned. They look at the very high cost of housing and say it isn't worth it.

And increasing wages won't necessarily help. If DB increase wages to hold onto people, then ALDI, etc. can't fill their positions, then they too will increase wages to get them from DB. Which in turn will lead to landlords just increasing rent to eat up those increases. You get into a painful inflationary cycle.

The root of all this is the problems with the property market and not building enough homes to house everyone and help keep rental prices reasonable.

Of course a pay increase would be very welcome for existing drivers, but I'm not sure it would necessarily resolve the issue of having enough drivers.

A pay rise will attract more drivers and stop the current ones leaving.

Some here are against bus drivers getting a decent wage, these same posters should not complain when a bus goes missing or passes by full and does not stop, the lack of staff is the problem with that.

The pay rise is in fact cheap for the government and a big win in a time of nothing but bad news, the public could have a reliable bus service and now it is also cheap, lack of money is not the governments problem ,they just dont want to pay proper wages.

The are taking in unlimited Ukrainian refugees, and they all get the dole on day one, thats €208 a week, approx 35k Ukrainians here, lets say 30K adults.

Using the calculations from above

€100 pay rise

40% tax

4 % PRSI

4.5% USC

so the worker will get €51.50 of that €100

Now when they spent it 23% is VAT, €11.85

so of the €100 pay rise the state gets back €60.35

We will do the same Ukrainian €208 dole - Vat23%= €160.16 in real tax payers money given to these Ukrainians

So for less than the cost of one Ukrainian getting the dole you could give a DB/GA/BE bus driver a €300 per week pay rise and after all tax is paid including VAT when it was spent, it would only be €154.4 in real tax payers money, for this you would have a functioning bus service

35k Ukrainians getting priority over the tax paying citizens of Ireland having a proper bus service, with the government saying tens of thousands more to come!

2,500 DB drivers, BE 2,500? and GA 300, so as you can see the money is there, in fact way more money is there as many of these Ukrainians are put up in hotels with all food provided, we will call it a even €1,000 a week cost to the tax payer for the dole and Hotel accommodation.

These Ukrainians are doing better than the Irish on the dole, as the Irish have to pay for food, bills and public transport.

Remember this when you are let down again by public transport in Ireland, the powers that be dont care about you, they are too busy spending your tax money on non citizens so they virtue signal to the big boys in the EU and hopefully get picked for a big EU job.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

• Registered Users Posts: 34,635 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Recruitment and retention right across the public sector is a disaster at the moment, a cancelled bus is one thing but it won't be long before children are being sent home from school on a regular basis because teaching posts in Dublin can't be filled. Then there's the hundreds if not thousands of nurse and doctor vacancies in the health service. Of course it suits the government and the media to always talk about the gross cost to the exchequer of pay rises, not the net cost after tax.

Housing is the cause of all of these problems.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭StreetLight

Dublin Bus aren't entirely blameless for the driver shortage. On the one hand they are crying out for drivers, but on the other there is a sizeable cohort of inspectors and managers who make it their business to spy on drivers to try and get them sanctioned or sacked.

It doesn't make for an entirely happy atmosphere.

Yes, it really is that simple . The government would rather spend your tax money on Ukrainians and virtue signal to their EU overlords about how obedient good Europeans they are and hopefully be rewarded with top EU jobs, than spend Irish tax payers hard earned money on infrastructure that would benefit the very same Irish tax payers, remember this the next time a bus does not turn up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Is it possible that the above attitudes held by drivers is a major contributer to retention issues? Having to work with miserable gits?

Issue with BE and GAI aswell not just DB so hardly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,635 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Advertisement