Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BusConnects Dublin - Bus Network Changes Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭VonLuck

I'm starting to think I need to walk the opposite direction to where I live so that I can get on the bus before it gets full. Madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭thomasj

Yeah I know , you'd need to be walking towards pearse street or Westland row to stand a chance

• Registered Users Posts: 17,715 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭A2000

G2 now showing via Ballyfermot Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭Qrt

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

The NTA, Dublin Bus and Go-Ahead Ireland will attend the Oireachtas Transport Committee on Tuesday to answer questions on bus services in Dublin.

Does anyone have today's Irish Times? It was only in the print edition.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,754 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Yes, but its about six weeks behind in the reading pile :pac:

I'll try get to it later/tomorrow

Cherry orchard.I.E. or industrial estate. Was confusing people as they thought it meant cherry orchard housing estate so.people ended up on g2 instead of g1

Traffic in Dublin is absolutely chronic at the moment, especially when there’s any form of rain. It took me 45 mins during the week to get from Broadstone to the quays on an 83. Gridlock is worse then pre Covid.

I fear that the traffic and infrastructure issues will render Bus connects pointless. A gridlocked city centre will be the same no matter what number is on the bus. Unfortunately the infrastructure and PT priority needs to be provided immediately; not after a route has started. We’ll then have politicians delay infrastructure cause BC will have failed, thus completely missing the point and issue over and over again.

I said in another thread that I’d consider the H spine and the N4 the only real successes of BC. They happen to be 2 routes that don’t cross the city centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

I just saw a G2 today from LV toward the city centre and it still said via Cherry Orchard IE.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭p_haugh

Usually the scroll changes are incremental and don't all get updated at once

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,675 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

"The new G-Spine runs via Inchicore for a number of reasons. The old alignment of the 79 and 79a via the quays is already served by the C-Spine services so the G1 and G2 follow the path of former route 40 via Inchicore instead of former routes 79 and 79a. This gives a regular service to all of the residents and businesses along the Spine section, which gives them more access and connectivity to other services on the network. The alignments of each Spine in the City Centre are designed to maximise interchange opportunities between the Spine services with a short walk between stops where possible. Additionally, each alignment, including the G-Spine, is consistent with potential future changes to the local road network."

To me, this demonstrates the total lack of local journey patterns or 'on the ground' knowledge or ignorance of it given to them.

The old alignment of the 79/A was used to get to Ballyfermot and Decies Rd etc. It is not 'covered' by the C-Spine. It goes alongside it when crayoning in on a map but they are distinctly different services.

The 13 still absolutely stuffed because people are not taking the 'short walks' to get the G1 and G2.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭d51984

They have changed the sequence of most of the traffic lights in the city during covid, its messed everything up but they will not admit to it. Most of the problems with traffic in this city is down to stupid and unnecessary traffic lights, the councils are fascinated by them.

Bring back roundabouts..... roundabouts all the way!

Its a disgrace Joe!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,754 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The COVID light changes were backed out months / years ago.

Well over a year and a half ago. The problem is too many people in cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭DaBluBoi

Think post refers to the stretch between the start of Emmet Road and end of Thomas Street, as its used by G Spine and 13, though in my experience the 13 fills up just after the place you mentioned

The quays are a horror show atm , have been since September . The days I've been in work I have got off the bus after 1 stop it was so bad and walked to broadstone to get the Luas to broombridge.

Were barely into November let alone December and traffic is at a standstill especially in the peak hours. I dread to think what it will be like next month.

Ah ok, I still don’t really get it, the Gs and 13 go the same route here no? Although Sunday is usually my slow day…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭AngryLips

G1 and G2 bus drivers don't seem to know where the last stop is. It is meant to be on a stop shared with the N4 on New Wapping Street in Docklands. Have got loads of buses that don't stop even when users ring the bell. I even challenged one driver about it and was told they don't stop there. The app and accompanying booklet for the route clearly shows that the buses stop there. The driver I spoke to said that the bus stop doesn't have either of the G routes on the signage ...of course it doesn't because it is the last stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,515 ✭✭✭cgcsb

A car ban on bachelors walk is needed sooner rather than later to allow bus services function properly

• Registered Users Posts: 32,774 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

This is spot on.

The replacement for the 79/a is a 60...and there is a grand total of one an hour and it is consistently rammed.

Sending the G1 and G2 both via a jammers inchicore is ridiculous it takes forever, one of them should 100 percent be going up the motorway.

The 79/a used to get me to town in 15 minutes. You are now talking 30 minutes (but it can be longer).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Yep. I agree with you.

If I was to get one of the new B buses from the Quays to Blackrock from Autumn 2024; I don't think that the journey times would be able to cope with the heavy traffic at this current time if they are going to replace the 39s from Blanchardstown.

If DCC and the NTA make a proposal to permanently get rid of cars that drive along Batchelor's Walk. It would be a big help for anyone who would want to take a bus from the North West and Western side of the city in the near future.

The G and C Spine along with the 39s currently use Batchelor's Walk to be able to travel either further east or further south of the City Centre. If there are tons of cars holding up traffic gridlocks on a regular basis along that crucial part of the bottleneck that interconnects with O'Connell St. Something has got to give here.

If you want to see cars banned from travelling along the quays. DCC and the NTA should ban them ASAP and you would see the benefits of a much cleaner city later on.

But the question remains however; Do people want it? When we talk about traffic congestion in Dublin City within the short to medium term; we don't know how much of an effect the electric cars will have along the quays if a car ban was still not implemented along that part of the city which will give an impact over the next few years.

An electric car does sound good in hindsight if you want to own one to replace your petrol or diesel car so you can reduce your emissions. But I think you need to get a chance to actually drive the car in order to make it move on the road in order to make a big difference in reducing the transport emissions in your surrounding environment.

However do the emissions in the atmosphere become cleaner when electric vehicles are regularly stuck in gridlocked traffic over longer periods of time?

So was looking something up on Google maps around adamstown and noticed this...

It seems the C2 (and X30) routing via Shackleton & Lidl has been implemented? I haven't seen any announcement about this yet however so I'm not sure if this is the case on the ground just yet.

It seems that the L51 & 52 are still routed along the full length of Adamstown Boulevard.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,562 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

While the NTA might eventually want them both going down near Lidl Shackleton down the line (and have updated their systems for that, hence that's what appears on Google Maps); right now they are indeed going via Adamstown Boulevard and using the L51/52 stops there.

https://www.dublinbus.ie/News-Centre/General-News/Rrouting-of-Route-C2-in-Adamstown-/

https://www.dublinbus.ie/News-Centre/General-News/Reevised-Routing-on-Route-X30/

Yes I'm aware of that, but I thought that was a temporary "rerouting" from the original routing of the C2 following the C1, as a stop gap measure until the Lidl/Shackleton section was sorted out.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,715 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

It’s a data error by someone either in Dublin Bus or the NTA.

The 8am 60 from red cow this morning was full when it reached spiddal Park at 8.25. People may be catching on that it's quicker to get the luas from tallaght to red cow and get g1 or 60 to ballyfermot. Much quicker than 76. Also discovered if I get the luas from jervis to red cow and get the 60 or g1 to spiddal Park towards the city it takes 40-45 mins. Peak hour 60 from city takes 75 mins. Have not used the g spine once

• Advertisement

I noticed as well that the 76A in all except one case, no longer goes to Tallaght.

Only as far as Liffey valley for all except the first bus in the morning from Tallaght .

Advertisement