Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BusConnects Dublin - Bus Network Changes Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

MOH wrote: »
    Huh?

Rathmines inbound is a bus lane all the way along with no on street parking?
    And outbound is a cycle lane all the way, again with no on-street parking

Yes but both routinely flouted all the time with cars parking in them. Even though there's a Garda station at the end of the village, cars park all the time in the cycle lane outbound, with narrow roads and heavy bus traffic it's not pleasant cycling through it.
    That allied with the (legal) rat-running down Richmond Hill where cars heading northbound don't have visibility of the cycle lane yet still cut across at speed makes it even worse.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Yes but both routinely flouted all the time with cars parking in them. Even though there's a Garda station at the end of the village, cars park all the time in the cycle lane outbound, with narrow roads and heavy bus traffic it's not pleasant cycling through it.
    That allied with the (legal) rat-running down Richmond Hill where cars heading northbound don't have visibility of the cycle lane yet still cut across at speed makes it even worse.

I've set it many times before.

Use the cameras on Dublin Bus to give out penalty points, simple solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Oh right, sorry. I though he was talking about legal on-street parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I'll take the widescale changes thanks

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

CPOs will only work in some locations.

More bus gates are also needed in suburban areas (Rathmines etc).

Like this bus gate in a similar area, Nørrebrogade, in Copenhagen:

425927.PNG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,068 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Going to be in Copenhagen in 2 weeks time. Looking forward to seeing this stuff there.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,805 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Going to be in Copenhagen in 2 weeks time. Looking forward to seeing this stuff there.

Watch out for quite poor adherence to traffic signals at pedestrian crossings by everything with wheels (skaters to buses and the more common 2/4 wheelers in between)... Was hit by a cyclist and just about avoided a driver there - and I was paying attention.

I see Copenhagen as being slightly like Dublin if we'd never had the 60+ years of no sodding money. Some really thick decisions like removing trams, demolishing an even less bombed out city centre, etc; light rail (heavier than here admittedly) lines that didn't meet properly and went to the wrong place originally needing patching later and so on.

Only another 30+ years of prosperity to try catch up, eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,877 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

If you're flying in, get a window seat so you can get a good look at the bridge to Malmo.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,719 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

monument wrote: »
    CPOs will only work in some locations.

More bus gates are also needed in suburban areas (Rathmines etc).

Precisely - I do think that the NTA need to be clearer about this - continuous bus lanes on all of those corridors are simply not going to be possible at locations like Rathmines, Rathgar, Terenure, and Templeogue. Using bland language about having continuous bus lanes along every corridor is sloppy to say the least.

Similarly some of the bridges that these corridors cross aren't wide enough for four lanes, let alone three.

While of course I'm in favour of increased bus priority, I remain somewhat doubtful about how politically acceptable effecting CPOs on front gardens along many of these corridors is going to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

MOH wrote: »
    Oh right, sorry. I though he was talking about legal on-street parking.

I was talking about legal on street parking. DCC doesn't benefit from illegal parking which was the point someone was making.

• Advertisement

Zebra3 wrote: »
    If you're flying in, get a window seat so you can get a good look at the bridge to Malmo.

I am flying in. Haven't gandered at my seats actually. Will be heading over to Malmo on Saturday 9th.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,933 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

anything to be said for looking at tidal bus lanes on some routes where there isn't room for 4 lanes (i.e. they change direction from inbound to outbound during the day) - obviously they'd need some degree of separation and dedicated signals.

loyatemu wrote: »
    anything to be said for looking at tidal bus lanes on some routes where there isn't room for 4 lanes (i.e. they change direction from inbound to outbound during the day) - obviously they'd need some degree of separation and dedicated signals.

There's loads to be said for it. But there's so much work that would be required to get it going.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,933 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

There's loads to be said for it. But there's so much work that would be required to get it going.

I suppose it would be like a mini-BRT as you'd need to allow for buses to overtake each other when going contra-flow and you'd need stops on both sides of the lane.

loyatemu wrote: »
    I suppose it would be like a mini-BRT as you'd need to allow for buses to overtake each other when going contra-flow and you'd need stops on both sides of the lane.

Meaning it'll never happen.

We have enough on our plate at present. This is a good concept for well down the line if it's required.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,792 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

The problem is, how do you get the buses back around to do another twist of the route in the busy direction? The whole viability of a bus service really relies on being able to turn at least some of the buses around so they can do two peak-direction runs over the peak time. To do this, the buses have to be able to get back to the origin pretty quickly after dropping off in town in the morning.

The other thing that should happen is that if you have a really good bus route, you should build up passenger numbers in in the direction opposite the prevailing direction over a few years. We certainly saw this on Swords Express over the years. The Luas also seems to have had similar uplift in passenger numbers travelling against the prevailing direction.

I am inclined to think that if you were lucky enough to find a spare lane to run traffic on in Dublin, you'd nearly certainly be better doing something else with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I am flying in. Haven't gandered at my seats actually. Will be heading over to Malmo on Saturday 9th.

The museum in Malmo is pretty cool, it's got a lot of interactive science experiments and the central square is a nice place for food & drink.

Bit late now but for future reference Malmo is far far cheaper to stay than Copenhagen and get the train across the bridge. We stayed in the Radison Blue last time for less than a backpackers cost in Copenhagen:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

The museum in Malmo is pretty cool, it's got a lot of interactive science experiments and the central square is a nice place for food & drink.

Bit late now but for future reference Malmo is far far cheaper to stay than Copenhagen and get the train across the bridge. We stayed in the Radison Blue last time for less than a backpackers cost in Copenhagen:eek:

Malmo also has an intresting BRT. With green tram like buses.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Malmo also has an intresting BRT. With green tram like buses.

I'm pretty sure some of them are battery only too

• Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Those green tram buses in Malmo do look a bit long. I'm not sure if it is impossible to use these ones for the BRT routes in Dublin. Can someone here give us a clue as to the the length of them if they were available for sale. Does the poster who manufactured the green buses? In all likelihood; it does seem to that me that BRT buses in Dublin do have to be an adequate size to allow themselves to turn around at points for bus termini at the either end of the route. I would prefer to have buses that are a similar size to the artic bendy buses which were used on the 4 to Vincent's Hospital & the old 10 route in Dublin Bus.

Which depot will be the most preferred one to run the Dublin BRT before it is launched?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Those green tram buses in Malmo do look a bit long. I'm not sure if it is impossible to use these ones for the BRT routes in Dublin. Can someone here give us a clue as to the the length of them if they were available for sale. Does the poster who manufactured the green buses? In all likelihood; it does seem to that me that BRT buses in Dublin do have to be an adequate size to allow themselves to turn around at points for bus termini at the either end of the route. I would prefer to have buses that are a similar size to the artic bendy buses which were used on the 4 to Vincent's Hospital & the old 10 route in Dublin Bus.

Which depot will be the most preferred one to run the Dublin BRT before it is launched?

The BRT routes being proposed here in Dublin are all draft proposals nothing has been confirmed presently so that would mean that nothing has been decided as of yet as to whether or not they will operate, what buses will be ordered or who will operate it could be DB, Go Ahead or another operator as the tender has not been issued for it.

At present if the service was to be introduced tommorrow I would imagine Harristown would be the best equipped depot for them to operate from as this was the depot the old bendybuses operated from.

The buses in Malmo were made by VanHool.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

The Malmo buses are 24 meter long VanHool ExquiCity.

Belfast will be getting the same VanHool buses for their BRT route next year, but 18 meters long.

I would suspect they would be a strong contender for Dublins BRT buses if BRT goes ahead.

The Malmo ones are hybrid battery/bio-gas, not sure what the plan for Belfast is, they can come in many varieties, Diesel-Hybrid, full EV, trolley bus, etc.

http://www.exquicity.be/en/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭StreetLight

Does anyone know if/when the results of the recent BusConnects.ie website survey will be released?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭budhabob

Does anyone know if/when the results of the recent BusConnects.ie website survey will be released?

Was just looking to see if there were any time lines published anywhere, and I cant find anything. Anyone in the know?

Last update was at the recent Dublin City Council Transport SPC meeting.

Anne Graham of the NTA stated that the proposed revisions to the network would go out to consultation in early 2018.

I wouldn't be holding my breath for implementation any time soon after that.

I'd still consider late 2018 / early 2019 as the likely timeframe.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

It will be just in time for their palls in go ahead to make them look great with the supposed 35% increase in frequency also.

Nothing ever changes here its as corrupt as Russia.

It will be just in time for their palls in go ahead to make them look great with the supposed 35% increase in frequency also.

Nothing ever changes here its as corrupt as Russia.

Realistically something this big is going to take time to implement.

The design team have to come up with their ideas, the public have a chance to have their say, revised plans developed and final plans adopted.

Not only that the new buses are going to have to be built and delivered, new schedules and rosters designed (and agreed with the unions).

All of that is going to take significant time.

Do you honestly think it could be done more quickly?

LXFlyer wrote: »
    Realistically something this big is going to take time to implement.

The design team have to come up with their ideas, the public have a chance to have their say, revised plans developed and final plans adopted.

Not only that the new buses are going to have to be built and delivered, new schedules and rosters designed (and agreed with the unions).

All of that is going to take significant time.

Do you honestly think it could be done more quickly?

In what part did I say it should be quicker???

Of course it will take time I'm fully aware of that.

In what part did I say it should be quicker???

Of course it will take time I'm fully aware of that.

Well you sort of implied that it was all timed to facilitate Go Ahead.

Given that DB are going to expand at the same time, I'd suggest it's an opportunity for both companies?

• Advertisement

LXFlyer wrote: »
    Well you sort of implied that it was all timed to facilitate Go Ahead.

Given that DB are going to expand at the same time, I'd suggest it's an opportunity for both companies?

Hold on a second,,,, expand¿

Db is doing the exact same thing so basically you can't see why do we need anyone else to come in and do exactly the same thing.

The nta runs the show so what they say goes,

Why oh why do we always sell everything off to anything but the Irish.

Same crap with housing.

Advertisement