Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BusConnects Dublin - Bus Network Changes Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭noelfirl

Not necessarily, if the quayside taxi rank is removed. There's probably enough space to squeeze it in as far as Bedford Row, with a bit of reconfiguration of the remaining lanes closer to that. The Irish Cycle article quotes the project as including Crampton Quay but I'd await the drawings of exactly what's planned at that end before cracking open the champagne, much as I'd like to.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

If you have a problem with a post, please report it.

Calling others a troll or back seat moderating is not permitted here.

Moderator.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Taxis are generally reliable.

Buses are generally not.

Public confidence in Bus travel in Dublin seems to be in the gutter now.

I certainly dont even bother with them anymore & I did used to use them.

Taxi if i have to go into town is the go to option.

I know the driver issue is causing problems but how can we be at record population levels and not find a couple of hundred people to drive the buses?

A connected Metro does seem to be the only long term solution to public transport in Dublin. But it just isnt going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭StreetLight

If all the big mouths over the past few years (some on this forum) who said they would drive a bus for less than what was being offered had actually followed through on their proclamations, all bus companies would currently be awash with staff.

The truth is, the working hours in the likes of Dublin Bus are getting longer, the breaks shorter and the abuse from certain sections of society can be relentless.

There are not many people willing to kiss goodbye to a decent family life no matter how much money is on offer.

Post edited by StreetLight on

• Registered Users Posts: 27,858 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Maybe if we banned the taxis which are for those with money, we might have more drivers willing to take a job with Dublin Bus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

So remove jobs from the economy by banning taxis and hope the newly redundant taxi drivers will fill the bus roles that cant be filled today?

We have a sharply expanded population and still rising... surely there must be enough people to fill all roles, without anyone having to lose their current job.

As a poster above mentioned, there must be good reason why people are not taking up the bus roles in the first place. Adding to the unemployment list by banning taxi drivers wont change those reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭brianc89

There are examples all across the city where cyclists can turn where cars can't, or where buses can go but cars can't.

So yes, a no right turn can absolutely only be applied to cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,518 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Update,

The bus connects website says s orbital launch is February!!!

Pretty sure this is old information, but I'll check with my source. Is anyone hearing anything about this? If true recruitment must be going even better than we previously thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭noelfirl

That line has been on that webpage since at least Oct 2022 according to the Wayback machine, so it is likely out of date.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,918 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

why? there are already loads of places where cyclists and public transport can make turns but private cars cannot.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

I've noticed improved lighting at a lot of bus shelters in my area recently. Not sure if this is part of bus connects or not but regardless good to see these small improvements. Should make women feel a little bit safer waiting for buses at night aswell as reducing the amount of vandalism bus heaters receive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭p_haugh

I've also noticed a lot of shelters now have a solar panel on top. I presume this is to power said lighting?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I checked that webpage for S Orbitals on the BusConnects website last week. I can still assume that is old information as that info came out from last October.

Can I ask where you got the info for the S Orbitals to launch in September 2023? Is it from an internal source? I would've thought that info has not been made public from the NTA at the moment.

The Western Orbitals being launched in May with the Southern Orbitals in September makes more sense to me. The rollout of the new charging points for the hybrid and electric buses in Dublin has been very slow to date. Ringsend has only begun work on getting them installed since yesterday.

You need those charging points badly out in Ringsend because that is one of the main depots for the C Spine and the 52. Phibsboro is the other main depot that runs those routes. The hybrids in Ringsend are also doing spare runs on the 1, 56a, 77a and presumably on the 150 as well.

It's an internal source. Which is why I was surprised to see February for s orbitals on the website. I suppose it is a simple matter of out of date information remaining on the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭DaBluBoi

Wasn't the operations of the 1 transferred over to Broadstone with the C Spine launch? Almost always gets SGs, though your point still stands about the hybrids

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭rx8

The 1,went to Broadstone on the 28th November 2021. There was a rumour yesterday that it may be going back to Ringsend to accommodate the 16's moving in to Broadstone in March. I can't really see this happening though. There's plenty of room in Broadstone.

The 1's are using the PA type hybrids at the weekends now. Feckin horrible bus to drive. Gimme an RV or an SG anyday.

They can't be as bad to drive as a streetlite surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Fizzy Duck

From my experience in driving both with GAI and DB, the cabs and limitations of both are the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭john boye

• Advertisement

Yeah the cabs the same. Problem with the streetlite from the drivers pov is the badly positioned steering wheel and nasty brakes. I've even heard GAI drivers say they prefer driving the training buses to the streetlites.

The PAs seem like a nice bus from a passenger pov whereas the streetlites are nasty for both passengers and drivers alike. I've never driven a PA as I don't work for DB although I am in the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭tubbs26

Thanks for this. Does anyone know once the W61 is introduced will the C4 still continue to Maynooth? aplogies if this was anwered already i couldn't see it anywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 17,715 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Nothing has been published on that front to date. We will just have to wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

If the c4 stops going to Maynooth then there is going to be chaos in Lucan unless the c3 service is significantly improved. As it stands the c3 to Maynooth is full and not stopping in Lucan throughout the early morning. People trying to get to Intel are really stuck and it is a serious issue already. But if the students trying to get to Maynooth from Lucan lose the c4 option then it will be complete carnage altogether for the c3.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭d51984

New driver rest area at Liffey Valley, long overdue and hopefully more will be added to other locations around the country.

Below: New bus interchange

Slowly but Surely we are catching up folks.

Its a disgrace Joe!

Just went there. Pretty cool imo, tho I'm pretty sure that lane is one way only?

Wierd how a one way traffic lane in a busy car park gets a zebra crossing and around the corner a one way cycle lane gets fully signal controlled on arguably a lightly used cycle lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Champagne Sally

I've read up on the Bus Connects website about the local area buses and know that the L44 is to replace the 65 bus to Blessington/Ballymore, which will run from Blessington/Ballymore to Tallaght only. I just can't seem to find what phase this will be in. Can anyone direct me?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭p_haugh

I'd say it will be part of the A spine phase or D spine phase at the earliest.

• Advertisement

A3's southern branch mirrors that of the 65, so I'd say in A Spine

Advertisement