Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BusConnects Dublin - Bus Network Changes Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭loco_scolo

That detour down the quays is comical. No other city in Europe would restrict buses from a public transport tram route like that. It's not as if it's ten bus routes, it's one bus each direction every 15 minutes. Nuts!

Until infrastructure works done, they could have used Watling Street for buses going towards Heuston and allowed buses from the front of Heuston to cross onto Stephens lane towards James. The buses already have a light sequence in place there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭p_haugh

Seems only the Go-Ahead routes are showing on bustimes for now. S2, 74, and L25 arent there.

Edit: seems they're not loaded into the system yet, the TFI Live app also doesnt show the Dublin Bus routes yet.

Post edited by p_haugh on

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭stop

Thanks for the info on business.org - wasn't aware new routes were added. Happy to see this is a new stop.

Agreed the final solution will 'tidy up' the stops, but I think it just presents poorly to the end user, coming across as disjointed for situations like the W4.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭stop

I don't know why I'm surprised - the 123 should have got a right turn to Parnell St via the Luas during cross city, but buses and trams appear to be like oil and water when not on Dawson Street.

Some things I've spotted from looking at some of the route maps.

1. S6: This won't use the bus stops outside Dundrum LUAS. The closest stops it will use are 7719 and 10160 on Taney Drive, still within 1-2 minutes walk of the luas stop/interchange via the pedestrian walkway that goes under the tracks. I take it this is to reduce the amout of buses using the interchange there?
    2. S8: This wont do a full loop of Sandyford, instead it will go along Blackthorn Road in both directions. However, both directions will serve Sandyford LUAS, with the Citywest bound service looping around Burton Hall Road -> Blackhall Road -> Blackthorn Avenue in order to stop there.
    3. S8 again: Still no mention of how it will turn right from Stradbrook Road onto Monkstown Road, and as far as the map is concerned, it will do a U-Turn at the next junction - I assume this wont be the case and a bus-only right turn phase will be added to the Monkstown Road junction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,715 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The Dundrum situation as I’ve posted before is far from ideal. No bus routes from west of Ballyboden or Rathfarnham stopping adjacent to the Dundrum Town Centre is to me a big mistake. The 75 & 175 pick up huge numbers there.

Lots of people will now have to walk to/from Churchtown Road Upper or transfer between the S8 & 74 on Grange Road or between the S8 and the LUAS at Sandyford.

I had expected new stops for the S6 on Taney Road near the junction but alas not.

But at least the S8 will serve Sandyford LUAS in both directions.

Yes, I suspect that there will be a bus only right turn onto Monkstown Road.

Also, the S6 will finally revert to the original 17 routing of using the Owenstown Park entrance to UCD, rather than it's current use of the N11 entrance in both directions.

Yes and several new bus stops across the campus will come into use on both the S4 and S6.

It’s not the original 17 route though - merely the second one - the bus originally used the Clonskeagh entrance and went through the campus from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Consonata

I never quite understood why that bus stop by the sports centre was so barely used. If anything you could have it as a hub, with an additional stop behind the Library/by Res if they so chose to. Would get massive use.

Living on Braemor Rd at the moment, and whilst I love the 14 I would love a true orbital connection that goes all the way to Dundrum rather than going around the southern estates. Oh well, the bike lane is pretty good so I guess that'll be my alternative.

That bus stop is currently used by the 142 at peak times (pre-covid it did also laps betw. UCD & Portobello during the off-peak), and there was a variation of the 11 that served it pre-Network Direct as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I'm reading the official booklet from the website at the moment. I am with most of the information about the new routes.

However I see there on the S8 route map where it's supposed to do the right hand turn at Temple Hill/Monkstown Road; it has a school there listed on the map as 'Blackrock College' even though that school is located in Booterstown which is very odd. The route map for the L25 has Dundrum Town Centre located left hand side of Dundrum Luas Station even though it is actually within the looped route of the L25 between the Dundrum bypass and the Main Street.

The good thing about living on these 2 new routes for myself and my mum is that we will save a lot of money on taxi's going between the house and St Michael's Hospital. We are both on the free travel pass as we are on Disability allowance. If we took a taxi out there at the moment; it will cost us about €15 to €20 each way on each trip. It will save us a lot of time and stress if we wanted to do shopping in Dún Laoghaire, Stillorgan or Dundrum as well.

Not mentioned in the southern orbital announcement, but I presume this is to take some pressure off the 44 during peak times now that the 74 (61 replacement) is taking a different route to town.

44d introduced with two trips from Dundrum LUAS - O'Connell Street in the morning peak, and one outbound in the evening peak.

https://www.dublinbus.ie/news/introduction-of-route-44d

Also some short trips added on the 14 between Churchtown and Dundrum in the early mornings to replace the early trips on the 75 that are being withdrawn through Ballinteer.

https://www.dublinbus.ie/news/additional-departures-on-route-14

Additional Departures on Route 14

10 November 2023

We are pleased to announce additional departures on Route 14 from Sunday 26 November 2023.

These early morning departures will operate from Stop 1046, Beaumont Avenue towards Dundrum.

There will be Monday to Friday departures at 05:56hrs and 06:26hrs, a Saturday departure at 06:52hrs and Sunday departures at 08:13hrs and 08:43hrs.

View Revised 14 Timetable 

Those really are short trips 😅

Yes they are, but to be fair for anyone living along the 14 route in Ballinteer who uses the early morning trips on the 75 to get to Dundrum there won't be a bus now until the first normal southbound 14 comes through Ballinteer significantly later.

These extras replace those 75 trips that are being withdrawn along the section between Nutgrove, Ballinteer and Dundrum and allow people get down to the LUAS.

Once the A Spine finally happens, they won't be needed anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭Qrt

175’s cancellation might cause a fair bit of consternation; the 27 is actively avoided by many, particularly young women and those not wanting to risk getting shanked.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭A2000

With the surprise introduction of the L55 to chapleizod now would be the ideal time to route the 60 straight down the ballyfermot road past tescos in both directions as has Been repeatedly requested since last October. There have been several training buses on the 60 in the last few days. People still looking for an increase in frequency for the 60 as its still quicker at times than the G spine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

Far to sensible for that reason alone it won't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

Deleted

• Registered Users Posts: 9,518 ✭✭✭cgcsb

That S2 route on the quays is a complete joke. What are they going to do when the O bus comes along?

• Advertisement

The junction at Heuston would need to be remodelled and resignalled to allow buses access Dr. Steeven’s Lane from Heuston, and Seán Heuston Bridge would need to be signalled for buses too.

On a positive note, the S2 routing does provide a direct connection into and out of the Navan Road routes at Arran Quay and Usher’s Quay which is useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭AngryLips

But why couldn't that have been done already. It's not rocket science.

I don't agree, am I missing something? There is already a light sequence (and a bus route) from the South quays across the tracks into Heuston. I don't believe changes would be necessary for the Seán Heuston Bridge.

Buses also have a sequence from Heuston across the tracks to join the quays (green line below). When buses have a green light, no other traffic movements are active except pedestrians to the west of the tracks. I see no reason why one bus every 15minutes couldn't just continue onto the tracks (red line below).

For S2 buses towards Heuston, the one-way direction of Watling Street could have been switched without adverse impacts, I believe, and this would have shortened the S2 route significantly. The next two bridges to the east allow North to South traffic, so access would have been maintained to Watling Street with ease.

Just to be clear, this is what I mean. The direction leaving Heuston is 2.5km shorter. And the direction towards Houston is 1.5km shorter.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Evil_g

Well if they're proposing to move James's hospital 1km to the west, I'd have thought routing a few busses up a Luas track would be relatively straight forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭trellheim

I suspect tram and bus teams in NTA are arguing with each other here. It looks like the sane option is to get the LUAS up to Rialto and then get on the S2

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭Daith

The L89 was changed to go to Broombridge now but the last map on BusConnects site still has it stopping at Finglas village.

I'm assuming it will go straight down the N2 and right up Ballyboggan Rd to Broombridge but does anyone know the updated route?

• Advertisement

You'll only find out in the run up to the launch of that phase - sometime next year.

Advertisement