Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BusConnects Dublin - Bus Network Changes Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,562 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

B3 is acting as the 7/7a equivalent from CC to DL. Past DL it's the L22.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭DaBluBoi

In the previous plans it also showed both routes as mostly avoiding the city centre, probably because their purpose isn’t to bring people to the city, but rather to link local areas together. I do find it a bit odd that the 82 is to terminate at Merrion Square, perhaps Ringsend wouldn’t have enough capacity to operate the route?

Also, might be just subjective, and I get that the old route would’ve been too narrow at the junction with Balbutcher Lane and Carton Drive, tho 19’s new diversion through IKEA looks really bizarre on the map

• Registered Users Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I would assume that people who live on the L35 are happy to hear that the route will eventually terminate in Balally Luas Stop in future. It also provides a good option for people who want to get on a L25 from Dundrum to Dun Laoghaire. But I think with a poor weekend service which may be proposed on the L35 in future; it could be a connection that could be a big hit and miss strategy if peoples arrangements are not going to plan as they should be at that point. If there was a big increase in population who live anywhere on the L35 over the past year or two; a big increase in frequency and a weekend service could be a very welcome bit of news for it.

• Administrators Posts: 370 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭System

This discussion was created from comments split from: BusConnects Dublin - Likely phasing of new routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 The Mathematician

In the frequency tables I have, the L35 is only shown as having 5 services on weekdays and none at the weekend. Has a new version been posted?

This is a big reduction from the current 161 which has 10 services on a weekday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,715 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Frequencies have been changing as they go along. That route won’t be changing until Q4 2025 so it is anyone’s guess what it will be then.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 GRUF

I know that DCC are actively trying to get Steevan's Lane suitable for bus use, so I'd say they are fairly confident the S2 will use it in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭AX636

They had one of the electric single decker that's going on the O route, go down Stephen's lane the other night. They need to sort the turn at James Street just because of the tail swing of the bus

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭trellheim

Do you mean Bow Lane or James St itself ? If its the Enviro200EV I cant see it having a bigger swing than the back of the tram which is going round the same bend, although I do see they'd need to do clearance testing to make sure they dont bang into each other

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭A2000

Discovered this werk there is an extra service on the 60 from red cow at 5.30am Monday to Friday. So there's 3 extras including 8.40 from cherry orchard and the 16.00 from the city. None of them are mentioned on the DB timetable online or on stops. Are there many anomalies like this? The 60 has proved quite popular more so now since the demise of the 76 from ballyfermot as you can avoid going to liffey valley by changing to the w2 at ninth lough. Or going to red cow luas. There was a public meeting last week and a change of route was requested for the 60 to serve tescos. Not much info from the meeting as yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

Why is the S2 going all the way up to Winetavern St. to get to Hueston and down the quays when it could use Bow Lane and Military Road. Open top buses go up that way so it would work.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,517 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Great news, once the O, N2 and N8 are in place and the issue with Stephens lane is fixed I'll be fairly happy, I was only ever really fussed about the orbitals anyway.

It turns at Bridge Street not Winetavern Street.

Better to have a common route in both directions.

It also offers connections with the Navan Road routes, something that the N2 will take over when implemented.

Post edited by LXFlyer on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭dazberry

I was really unimpressed with the S2 routing from Heuston and hoping that the Steevens lane issue would be fixed for the O. But in a strange turn of events - I've also found the current S2 routing really handy for Thomas St, to the extent that I'll miss it when it is re-routed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭Daith

I see a SF rep has put up an objection to bus stops along Broombridge road for the new route. Which is a bit silly, though I also think buses having to navigate some of the estates around Broombridge, with cars parked either side, isn't ideal.

But hardly like you'd want to be sending buses down the Ballyboggan road and back up through Cabra either.

Post edited by Daith on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭trellheim

You mean the Ballymun/Finglas Core Bus Corridors, which are the infrastructure works.

The spines are bus routes not the infrastructure.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

lets overload the current infrastructure with higher frequency busses first and then dig it up for years causing utter mayhem and hope that at the end of it the public will embrace public transport once again...

it would be too sensible to do the infrastructure upgrades first...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭AngryLips

The frequency of buses are actually becoming a major problem in Dublin city centre. The NTA seems to assume that an infinite number of buses can serve each stop when frequently I've missed buses because there's no space for them to pull in or because their view of passengers at the stop are obstructed by a load of other buses at the same stop. Bus connects is great in theory, but it's a sub-par band aid for the lack of more Luas or metro in the city.

Bear in mind that, for example, you’ll have no buses terminating on Eden Quay (northside) any more after the D-Spine happens. That’ll free some space up with no buses laying over.

There's still quite a bit of rejigging of stops to happen as the phases progress and relocation of some termini.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭loco_scolo

Are they planning to stop/reduce the level of city centre driver changes under the new network? A much larger proportion of routes will share termini, which (one would hope) reduce the need for such delays in the city.

It is incredibly frustrating when there's a driver change in the city centre, just a few stops from your destination. These are definitely happening much quicker, but it's still frustrating

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭Daith

Eden Quay is a bit of a nightmare alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭p_haugh

Hopefully the 74 terminus is moved by that point

I wouldn’t think so.

The bus service has to be run in a cost efficient manner.

Changing drivers at either end during the day means that you need more drivers to run the service as they either have to use a staff car to and from the garage or they and the bus have to go empty to and from the depot.

Given that drivers are at a premium that’s only going to go so far.

Drivers change in the city centre or outside depots as that’s where there are facilities for them to take their break and because it is the most efficient way to run the service.

Every departure has its own stop by stop timetable, and the running times in general are set to allow sufficient time for driver changes, so buses aren’t running late as a result of them.

Part of the problem with this is that DCC have removed so many city centre layover locations.

Moving a terminus isn’t as simple as it some might think - it might mean a necessary increase in the peak vehicle requirement and in the number of drivers.

Poolbeg Street would be an option for the 74 going forward once the 65/b move out (that’s a bit away yet).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭p_haugh

The original plan for it was to terminate at Poolbeg Street from what I recall, but as you say it's probably waiting for the 65/b to move out of there first.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭TranslatorPS

One has little to do with the other – driver handover locations are chosen based on the locations best suited to each route given the garage that operates it, the accessibility from a handover location to a garage for starting/finishing, and any facilities for a break. @LXFlyer said it already – moving handovers to termini is just asking for a more expensive service.

On that note, some handovers do move around. I'm not fully certain if it's the case right now (I'm quite certain they kept the old Bachelor's Walk/Pearse Street arrangement from the 26/66/A/B days), but the 26 is intended to have its handovers outside Conyngham Road garage once it's on a common working schedule with the S2 later this year. G1/G2 (which will get the L54 onto its WTT, currently it's a stand-alone route) and the 60 (to be added to the 68/69 WTT) will remain on Eden Quay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭john boye

It struck me recently that Hawkins Street wouldn't be the worst choice for its terminus instead of the loop it goes on. I know it's busy already but the 74 isn't the most frequent and there'd be enough space for it to layover most of the time.

That would mean doing an outbound loop via College Street and Westmoreland Street and a left turn at O'Connell Bridge onto Aston Quay.

Remember that one of the main goals of all the traffic changes in the city centre is reducing bus throughput of College Street, and a second is to remove all bus turns at O'Connell Bridge to facilitate extended pedestrian light phases.

A Poolbeg Street terminus would allow the bus turn right onto Tara Street and left onto the Quays.

• Advertisement

The B4 also acts as the replacement between the city centre, Rock Road, Blackrock and Sallynoggin.

People from further out can connect between the L22 and B4 at the Graduate, or with the B3 at Dún Laoghaire.

Advertisement