Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BusConnects Dublin - Bus Network Changes Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭p_haugh

There has been EAs seen driving on Steven's lane on test runs so I believe they are at least scoping out how buses will operate along there. But yes, there will still need to be infastructureal changes to allow it in normal service

Dont have a picture as was driving, but the 145 Ballywaltrim terminus has gained a new bus shelter and Castle Curbs for when it becomes the E2 terminus. None of the bus stops along Southern Cross seem to have gotten the new flag poles yet however.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭ITV2

Ah right, there was construction at the stop going on with what looked like brand new curbing being installed so it must've just been that!

https://www.dlrcoco.ie/news/general-news/explore-coast-seaside-discovery-free-bus-tours

This service is a 12-week pilot program specifically for cruise ship passengers, but is also available for tourists and locals. Currently it is not wheelchair accessible, but we will be evaluating the demand and use of the service to incorporate into any future plans for this service

Unfortunate that they aimed it at cruise ship passengers and not local access for the initial pilot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I can't imagine that many local people would actually want to use this new route if it's only being marketed as a 12 week pilot route during the summer season. This route won't be that popular for local people in Dún Laoghaire. It will be a gimmick and a total waste of time for them to use it. It would only be good for the cruise ship passengers who will use it as a way to enhance their experience of being a tourist in Ireland for the short time that they are looking around the town's historic attractions and other facilities.

EDIT:

There is also a new development occurring along the 46a/E2 route in Deansgrange recently.

There is a new set of traffic lights being installed for school students to cross the road to allow them to get into the school which is located beside the rear car park of Supervalu.

There is a distance of roughly 20 mtrs. between these new traffic lights and the current set of traffic lights outside The Grange Pub at Deansgrange Crossroads. I wouldn't like to see these new lights make long delays for people who are travelling on the E2 bus in future. I'm not sure if the new lights could be synchronised with the lights at the crossroads to make travelling on the E2 route that little bit easier in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

It sounds like that would be to route the cyclists from the shared path along the park adjacent to the school to get to the new Deansgrange cycle path alongside the cemetry… currently it is very disjointed, ejects cyclists out onto a busy road with no natural place to join the traffic and no way to get through the crossroads. I hope they get the design right, because its currently quite dangerous in its current format. Also a natural crossing point for kids going to/coming from school…

• Registered Users Posts: 14,914 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

the new crossing isn't directly on the park2park greenway route for cyclists, they'll turn left and then use new crossings at the crossroads (which are being built now). But it will facilitate cyclists turning right towards Dun Laoighaire from the park.

AFAIK they're upgrading the lights at the junction as part of this work as well, but I doubt the crossing at the park will be synced as it will be an on-demand crossing with buttons. I don't imagine it'll make much difference to bus running times - buses will just end up in the same line of traffic they were in beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 GRUF

With regard to this, while it seems nonsensical to have signalised crossings so close to each other, there usually has been analysis done and it was decided that the desire line cannot be ignored. I know this exact spot you are talking about, and I can confirm that even if you had the greatest set of pedestrian crossings at the main junction, people would still dart across the road at that spot. As was previously mentioned, it is adjacent to the school, as well as the start of a greenway, so there are a lot of desire lines there.

Two crossings near each other is always a point of contention but remember, the pedestrian crossing will only be called if there is a pedestrian waiting to cross, so if it wasn't there they would most likely just try to run across.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭halfpastneverr

Is there any reason DB are still operating single door 2008 reg EV class buses in 2024? have had the (un) pleasure of them showing up on the 68 & 69's the last few weeks & I fecking hate the things. Takes ages to load and get on/off due to the single door, they stink of damp and mildew and the auld bench seats are ridiculously cramped for anyone taller than 6ft.

Is it because DB had to give a rake of SG's to Go Ahead so are short vehicles?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭john boye

It's more to do with the slow introduction of the electric EW class and each bus connects phase requiring additional buses so older stock has had to be kept or brought back into service.

Can anyone tell me how long does it take for the future planned L35 route to get from Balally Luas P&R to Edmondstown?

I had an idea in my head earlier today about whether that route could be merged with the L25 bus to go from Dún Laoghaire to Edmondstown in the near future. I have no clue whether you guys would think this would be a good idea or not.

I was looking at a way in how a direct link by bus could be retained between Dún Laoghaire, Dundrum TC and Nutgrove SC.

Merging the L25 & L35 together made that option somewhat more sensible for me from a passenger point of view. If the direct link by bus between 3 locations came back in the near future. It offers a compromise of sorts as it retains some familiar elements of the old 75 route between Dún Laoghaire & Nutgrove via Dundrum.

Although I would keep the route between Balally & Edmondstown unchanged to take the quicker route via Churchtown Road.

However; I have understood for a while now that with driver resources being a big issue at the moment. Having to employ new drivers to run new services can a big challenge for the bus companies & the NTA at the moment.

I am not sure whether the L35 would be going to Go-Ahead in future to take it on as a replacement route for the 161 which goes from Dundrum Luas to Rockbrook at this current time. It would place my proposal of merging those two routes together completely out the window as the L25 is currently operated by Dublin Bus in Donnybrook Garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I don't know, I haven't taken it because it's in the future…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭rx8

This came in the door today, just in time for the local election on Friday....

Update on the No.11 replacement service, and the N2.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,715 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

Political spin... How can one be delighted with such dis-improvement of service?? For one, the peak time service for the 11 in the morning is every 10min (not 15 as quoted). The terminus at St Papins Road pretty much guarantees reliable departure time services (in particular important for those on school runs). The 11 runs across town, while the new 19 terminates at Parnell Square. Btw, has anyone seen revised timetables that back up those route 19 frequency claims?

Not sure where those leaflets where dropped, for those relying on cross town similar to the 11 and are near St Papins, the new 24 route could be well more interesting. Unfortunately, it is listed at 20min frequency throughout the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭A2000

Ev 59 was on the G2 today. For some reason it was swapped in inchicore for Ev 56.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,653 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

You can read a detailed examination of this junction here:

https://www.dlrcoco.ie/sites/dlrcoco/files/atoms/files/220012_tn_deansgrange_transyt_assessment_ped_crossing_-_final.pdf

But I'll also post the summary here for simplicity:

The results of the Conflict Assessment survey outlined a number of safety concerns that are
    evident at the priority crossing on Kill Lane. With the high level of demand, as well as the busy
    traffic conditions on the road, the incidents noted during the survey demonstrate the
    requirement for this crossing to be signal controlled. It is clear from the survey that the
    provision of a two-way facility to the Deansgrange junction on the Supervalu side of Kill Lane
    would not cater for the movements across Kill Lane heading towards Bakers Corner. It is also
    unlikely that users would travel down to the junction, cross and then return along Kill Lane.
    A signal controlled crossing would provide improved safety in this location for all road users.
    It would provide pedestrians and cyclists with dedicated time and space to cross in one
    movement without being stopped within the road carriageway.
    It is noted that signal controlled pedestrian crossings are in operation at Deansgrange
    junction, located approximately 50m west of the priority crossing. It would be possible to link
    this proposed crossing to the junction to allow the pedestrian phases to run together.
    This
    would remove any capacity impacts and could also facilitate turning movements into and out
    of the Supervalu entrance.
    The provision of this crossing would remove the need to provide a two-way cycle facility on
    the Supervalu side of the junction and it is proposed to remove this from the scheme

Now in my opinion, they need to examine getting rid of the traffic right turns into Supervalu/Church/Deansgrange Business Park, because those very often cause a significant delay for buses coming from the N11. All it takes is one person turning right into Supervalu, and a whole 3-4 minute green phase is lost.

Either that, or CPO the front car parking spaces on The Grange pub and provide a right turn filter lane into the Supervalu car park.

Whatever they do, this is a disaster of a junction, particularly for the 46A, and it needs to be addressed soon.

When you compare it to the planned frequency (hourly) that was published in the BusConnects plan for the 19, this is a good result.

The politicians are obviously being briefed by the NTA. I doubt that you will see detailed timetables until the next phase is being actually launched.

The fact that the NTA are agreeing to changes in frequency for some of the lower frequency routes is a good thing - they were rigidly saying no until now.

I would agree however that extending the 19 to say Merrion Square would be far better than the planned terminus at Parnell Square, but who knows maybe the NTA will have changed that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭VG31

It's hardly a worse service. The 11 is every 10 minutes southbound only from 07:30-08:00. There is no 10 minute frequency at all in the evening.

People living around St Pappins Road/Wadelai could just do that crazy thing called walk! It's only 5 minutes max to the Ballymun Road where the E1 and E2 will go cross city. It's a very minor inconvenience.

The connection to the airport will be a great improvement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

as mentioned for those relying to go cross town in the mornings school or work it is worse. evening peak time from town isnt such an issue, less rush typically (in our experience). we are at the far side so waking to wadelai is ok, but ballymun road too far. hence the hope for the 24 ...

extending the 19 to marrion would be good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭VG31

Fair enough but the 9 will still be operating until the 24 launches.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

As a driver on the 11, it baffles me daily watching people in St.Pappins wait 10-30 minutes instead of walking to DCU.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

It's like motorists circling a carpark for half an hour for a space nearest their destination instead of parking in ample empty spaces 2 minutes further walk away....

Perhaps they prefer the highly professional service provided by the Donnybrook 1 drivers on the 11? :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

I was reading a local election leaflet from a Labour candidate about the implementation of the Living Streets plans in Blackrock today. The councillor said in the leaflet that work to commence construction for Living Streets Blackrock will begin in the later part of this year. This plan is implementing measures to build a new bus terminus for the S6 & L26 in Blackrock.

The plans about the planned bus route changes in Blackrock Main St are here below.

The plans for Living Streets Blackrock states that the current bus terminus which is located outside EducoGym near Blackrock Dart Station will be removed at a later date. Although; DLRCC have not specified a date for it's removal yet. The council have said that removal of the current terminus located near the Dart Station was part of a policy that was to be implemented by DLRCC & the NTA.

A new bus terminus layover point for the S6 & L26 will be built outside Starbucks in the Main St of Blackrock Village. The new bus layover point will have a maximum length of 24 metres.

Cyclists will be sharing road space with buses along that stretch of the main street as well.

Although I am not sure what are the plans for private cars in future.

Would the council still allow private cars to go through the Main St or will it just be used for buses & cyclists only?

The first bus stop for the S6 & L26 when they leave the new terminus in Blackrock will be at the stop near The Post Office Restaurant in the Main St.

The second stop for both routes will be near the PTSB branch in Carysfort Avenue. I'm not sure what is going to happen for the bus stops along there when the 7a, 84 & 84a get scrapped in the near future. I would assume that the 2 bus stop poles located along that road will be reduced down to one shared bus stop for the S6 & L26 only.

The B3, B4 & 98 will be serving the current bus stops located outside Frascati SC in both directions.

Go-Ahead Ireland have given an update via Vimeo this evening which relate to the next phase of BusConnects Dublin & information for the application for their new 5 year tender for the ODMA bus routes in Dublin.

Although; the video has since been taken down a short time ago. It may return to the site later on this evening.

The next phase of BusConnects is known as Phase 6a which I think is the E-Spine.

The company said that the recruitment of new drivers is progressing well. Vehicles are also being prepped for the new phase of the project at their depot in Ballymount. Go-Ahead have said they expected this new phase will be rolled out in late Autumn.

Go-Ahead have also said it has been over 5 years since they begun working on the routes with their current tender award for the ODMA routes. The company have said that they have submitted bids for 2 new separate tenders for their ODMA bus routes to the NTA.

The new tender applications from Go-Ahead Ireland have been split into ODMA North & ODMA South. They have said the application deadlines for these tenders ends on the 24th of July. The operator has said that a decision on the new tenders from the NTA will be made in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,846 ✭✭✭Polar101

I didn't know what an ODMA was, so I had to google it.

Outer Dublin Metropolitan Area (ODMA)

Just in case I wasn't the only one. 🙂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Phase 6A? So not only are the phases massively delayed but they've also actually been split into even smaller and less ambitious attempts at roll out 🙄 …you couldn't make it up

Advertisement