Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BusConnects Dublin - Bus Network Changes Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,679 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

What doesn’t make sense?

This went through three massive rounds of consultation between 2018 and 2020.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,318 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

The 6 doesn't use Clontarf Road because they want it to serve more people by using the Howth Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Disco24

Agree. gap along the coast road means disconnect between clontarf and bayside/ sutton meaning people drive instead to wooden Bridge, clontarf village.

Running #6 along coast road would solve. Howth Rd passengers could use h3 and change to 6 at bayside if they need to go back of howth hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Duit

I remember providing feedback to the project back in the day but I have never seen the entire map. As someone has mentioned below, there is a disconnection from someone in howth trying to get into wooden bridge or Clontarf village. There is plenty of connectivity of that line with the H spine. The bus runs every hour, why not providing an alternative route?

The problem is that that bus only runs on a hourly basis. Every time I used it it's nearly empty. People don't bother taking it as many of the howth road users are probably not familiarise with the route.

That what I was thinking. By seeing it on the map I was wonder why the designers didn't think about it…

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭BusGuy

Today has marked exactly 6 months since Phase 5B has launched, I'm looking forward to see what will happen what will happen to the Clongriffin area in the future, and to see one of the biggest routes in Dublin, the 46A being scrapped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭bikeman1

While on the subject of the very first "spine" (only runs on one side of the city and is basically the same as the 29A, 31s and 32s). The 6 should operate along the coast road, past Mount Prospect Ave., then left up Watermill Road, right at Raheny village and along the Howth Road to Blackbanks and on to Howth.

This would provide Raheny, Bayside, Sutton and Howth with a link to Dollymount and Clontarf. A much more sensible routing in my opinion. It would also link Clontarf to the soon to be extended N6 at Blackbanks. Journey times would be the same.

Anyway, I think there are bigger issues out there than this.

The maps have been there all along, and clearly linked on the BusConnects website. It’s a bit difficult to visualise a network without them.

You seemed to implying that there were other issues other than the route that the 6 takes, hence my question, but maybe not.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Duit

I have never seen a map on the entire Bus connects routes. I remember the ones that were sent once the H spine was implemented. When I saw the complete map I just saw the H spine and the 6 route in relation to the rest of the network and that's where my question came. There are probably other places with similar issues across the network. I use the 6 bus sometimes and little people take it. I would prefer 2 buses per hour with different routes than 1 per hour on a well covered route but it might be my preference

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭john boye

Is there any update on extra garage space? I doubt the existing depots can take much more expansion.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,070 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

• Advertisement

I passed the construction site of the new E1 terminus in Northwood outside Costa Coffee there.

It doesn’t look like it is a proper pull in bay for two or three buses, but merely new bus stop infrastructure without a proper lay-by. That won’t work well.

Someone dropped the ball on the clontarf coast road despite it being brought up at consultation. It's an obvious piece missing on the map.

Alternative is to send current 130 out to baldoyle/ sutton along the coast road. It does a a crazy zig zag around the houses journey through clontarf as it is, frequently getting stuck on narrow residential roads and at St annes delaying the service.

New route to Beaumont from the city will serve middle of clontarf, albeit only hourly, so there's duplication with 130.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,318 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

You'll have to get used to calling the 130 the 10 soon enough.

I'm a bit confused by the talk of them dropping the ball on the coast road though. From my point of view, there's a pretty hard limit on the number of people that can be served by a bus going down the coast road, what with half the catchment area being the sea itself. Then it actually gets worse, with a giant park opposite the sea, followed by a fairly long cliff. Sure, people want to go to the beach, but that's only on sunny days, something we've sadly seen too few of this year.

The aim of the bus service isn't to offer amazing service to everyone, it's to manage a good level of service for everyone given the constraints of funding, staffing, etc. Clontarf has an adequate level of service for the amount of people living in the area, and the lack of major trip generators. As you point out, it's also getting the 8, which will connect in with Beaumont. There's many other areas that'd kill for this kind of service.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭jd

I was wondering about that. There is an indentation inwards, I guess the traffic lanes may be narrowed too. I passed when there was a cement mixer in the new small lay by with cones around it, and traffic could flow in both directions. I suspect the current owners gave the NTA the bare minimum to work with - I wouldn't be surprised if there were new buildings replacing the retail units inclusing Costa in the future, Cosgraves alluded to it in the planning application for Blackwood Square

Post edited by jd on

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭BusGuy

Any news of the 39A moving depots for the EW’s? More and more EW’s have been operating on the 39A, which I think the 39A operates out of Donnybrook, and the 39 is a completely different story, but no news of EW’s to Donnybrook, and also no news of electrification for the EW’s at DBK, although it’s kinda stupid that DBK can hold PA but not EW’s, and EA’s I think is gonna see the end of the WS’s if it’s what I’m sensing, so the EW’s give a hint that in later phases the 39A might be moved to a different depot, given the current situation. Although, the 39A operates in the VT’s, so it’s a double depot operated route I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭p_haugh

The 39 and 39A are both operated out of Phibsborough Garage

• Registered Users Posts: 8,414 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

The EW's are not based in Donnybrook yet. They can only be used where they have the charging points installed in the bus garages. That's in Summerhill & Phibsborough so far when we are talking about the bus service in Dublin.

There was one cancellation noted on the TFI Live app for the S8 from Kingswood Avenue to Dun Laoghaire yesterday morning. It was seen there in the app between 10am & 10:15am yesterday. It didn't appear to have any buses when it was going to Kingswood Avenue. Did this cancellation have affect any other Go-Ahead buses running out of Dun Laoghaire yesterday?

I think that if you tried to remove the bus service from those narrow residential roads, you would have uproar from the locals. It’s a non-starter.

The 8 is there also to compensate for the reduction in frequency that will happen when the 130 becomes the 10.

Some of reasons for having a bus service that runs along coast road.

• Dollymount Wooden Bridge. Unless its bucketing down busy all year round especially post covid.
    • Schools. Kids been driven to 5/6 different schools as no Bus service connecting two areas of clontarf and sutton/ howth.
    • Popular Destinations for restaurants
    • Demand will increase further with increase in apartments in howth, baldoyle.

It's a no brainer to link the areas to reduce car traffic.

Apart from the Holy Faith Clontarf, all the other schools in that general area are closer to the Howth Road and Manor House on Watermill Road is passed directly by the 6.

I don’t really see that as a justification.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭john boye

How is this noteworthy? There are hundreds of cancelled trips in Dublin every day now. One cancellation on my local route would be an excellent day.

Plenty of kids going other way to fintans, sutton park etc. Need is there and will be greater as pop increases.

Schools as mentioned is only one of the justifications.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,908 ✭✭✭trellheim

In terms of the route changes being advertised above e.g N2 now going up Blackhalll instead of infirmary Rd, where is the consultation on those changes ?

Many here bang on about the public discussion on these routes, but those changes above are being implemented solely by the NTA without any public input .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

The WS's will still be needed for the 44b/L33 I'd imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭p_haugh

The EAs are also single deck so should be a suitable replacement.

Not every change needs to go out for consultation, in particular, most of these changes are changes that seem to be required due to a lack of infrastructure works.

Ultimately, the NTA are responsible for the bus routes, and bus route changes are not subject to planning permission or indeed any kind of public consultation requirements. BusConnects was unusual in that it was a complete sea change in the bus network, but relatively minor changes like this? It should not be subject to public debate, to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 oliver_murray

Sorry to bring off topic, it appears the works at Hazelhatch for the full W6 seem to be progressing well so hopefully will see the route by September/October?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭tnegun

I wonder if the full route will improve reliability. I'm back in the car for the summer as the service falls to bits in the late afternoon/evening with no-shows and late running.

Swords to City Centre bus corridor has been approved by ABP. Good to see another one over that line. As a regular user of that corridor, both on bike and bus, it is badly needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

Are the EAs not longer? Would've thought length would be an issue on the 44b. Contrary to popular belief a double decker can fit on the 44b route there was a heritage run of an ex DB RV up there a while back

Advertisement