Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BusConnects Dublin - Bus Network Changes Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

bk wrote: »
    The plan is for road widenings throughout the city, including the removal of onstreet parking, etc.

I'm not sure there is a plan for Collins Avenue, it wasn't part of the outline that was published two weeks ago.

I think the 16 will be becoming the A2 and won't be going to Beaumont any more. Instead Beaumont will be serviced by the A1, though that will use the same route you mention.

Orbital routes will have infrastructure plans published in due course. No idea of when that'll be

• Registered Users Posts: 10,229 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

MJohnston wrote: »
    Also your focus on a single shopping centre is deeply myopic.

It's not really as it's the hub for the entire north west Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭kerplun k

MJohnston wrote: »
    Extra frequency = Increased usage
    Increased usage = Less traffic on the road
    Less traffic on the road = Faster bus journeys
    Faster bus journeys = Fewer miserable people living in Ongar

I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again, unless we have direct bus only lanes covering the length of each spine, the whole thing will be pointless.

On paper this plan looks fantastic, but congestion will kill it, I’d rather see a document similar to this from the NTA which puts the emphases on solving the infrastructure problem, it’s like they are putting the cart before the horse.

I’d even be willing to pedestrianize the whole inner ring of city centre and restricting access to public transport only. There’s just too many cars with a limited amount of space. Personally, I’d love to use the bus more, but it just takes too dam long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭Qrt

kerplun k wrote: »
    I’d rather see a document similar to this from the NTA which puts the emphases on solving the infrastructure problem, it’s like they are putting the cart before the horse.

I assume you're new to this thread.
    I’d even be willing to pedestrianize the whole inner ring of city centre and restricting access to public transport only. There’s just too many cars with a limited amount of space.

This I 100% wholeheartedly agree with.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again, unless we have direct bus only lanes covering the length of each spine, the whole thing will be pointless.

Errr... That is exactly what their planning to do. They announced it two weeks ago. Spending in the region of 2 billion on this, including removing on street parking and CPOing part of some homes front gardens to build continuous bus lanes along with bike lanes and footpaths.

There will also be bridge widenings and all sorts of bus only routes and other bus priority features.

They seem to have broken this into two parts. The infrastructure side that was announced two weeks ago and the network redesign side that was announced yesterday. The two go hand in hand.

• Advertisement

Qrt wrote: »
    I assume you're new to this thread..

I’ve been here a while. :D

A few people have said there’s plans for improved infrastructure, and I’ve heard a few bits in the news, but I haven’t seen any specific documentation on what these plans involve. I scanned through chapters 1-7 on the NTA Bus connect document, and I haven’t really seen anything that goes into detail on what is actually planned to improve the infrastructure, and more importantly, when.

Errr... That is exactly what their planning to do. They announced it two weeks ago. Spending in the region of 2 billion on this, including removing on street parking and CPOing part of some homes front gardens to build continuous bus lanes along with bike lanes and footpaths.

There will also be bridge widenings and all sorts of bus only routes and other bus priority features.

They seem to have broken this into two parts. The infrastructure side that was announced two weeks ago and the network redesign side that was announced yesterday. The two go hand in hand.

If that’s the case, I’m totally on board. But I just haven’t seen any documentation which goes into detail on how they actually plan on doing it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

If that’s the case, I’m totally on board. But I just haven’t seen any documentation which goes into detail on how they actually plan on doing it.

Here are the overall plans that were published a few weeks ago, note big PDF:

https://static.rasset.ie/documents/news/2018/06/busconnects-report-june-2018-final-web-low-res.pdf

And more here:

https://www.busconnects.ie/initiatives/core-bus-corridor-project/

Obviously more detailed street by street plans will emerge over the next few months.

Here are the overall plans that were published a few weeks ago, note big PDF:

https://static.rasset.ie/documents/news/2018/06/busconnects-report-june-2018-final-web-low-res.pdf

And more here:

https://www.busconnects.ie/initiatives/core-bus-corridor-project/

Obviously more detailed street by street plans will emerge over the next few months.

Thanks for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,812 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Patww79 wrote: »

You have the train.

It isn't a mess, you just cannot get yourself over having to change buses.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

I'll be going from a quicker direct journey to a slower one with a change in between. Slower even in the best case that you can squeeze onto the first bus at the shopping centre. Yeah it's brilliant.

At least, hopefully, they can't mess up the trains. Unless they try price us out of them to justify this hair brained scheme, which isn't beyond the bounds of possibility.

What spine are you on? I've not seen a spine with an expected journey time increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Is the full report not available as a singe pdf? It's almost like they don't want the report in a single searchable document :D

Same with the map, a single map with a zoom and filter option would be useful for picking into the detail,which means the civil service will avoid that like the plague

And leave people with no other option to go into the city than this mess?

If there’s no cars inside the ring, buses would zip in and out. It wouldn’t be a mess. Plus, end to end the distance isn’t even that long, you could even walk to most destinations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

Bambi wrote: »
    Is the full report not available as a singe pdf? It's almost like they don't want the report in a single searchable document :D

Same with the map, a single map with a zoom and filter option would be useful for picking into the detail,which means the civil service will avoid that like the plague

I can't find a map that I can zoom in close enough on in order to read, and that's with 'view image'/zoom and my glasses on! Some company got paid thousands to mock up these maps and they're next to useless in some locations. Procurement me arse! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I'm going from a bus that I get on and it does a single small 5 minute U-turn in a housing estate and straight onto the N3 into town (70), to having to get a bus to blanch shopping centre and then change and do the rounds before it even gets near heading for town. Any figures that say the latter will be quicker are lies.
    If you're in Dunboyne you can take the bus to the station I presume?

It won't be slower. That is the entire point of this.

You are still running with the idea that they're just going to terminate your existing buses at the SC and make you take the existing buses on their existing route in. That is not happening. There will be very significant improvements to the running time of the B spine buses from the SC to the centre due to the infrastructural works planned.

And the trains will be the same price as the bus.

• Advertisement

I've read and understand the plan. You are panicking off a skimming of it and have got entirely the wrong impression.

You'd be back down the path in seconds. Were you the Airtricity guy telling me they were "always cheaper" because of wind energy?

Your bus journey in will be no slower.

Flat fare for unlimited changes across modes. You won't pay a cent more.

You haven't even read this beyond a quick look at the first map, have you?

You've skimmed over all the bits that are actually important and are obsessing over your skimming.

Your bus journey will be no slower. That is an absolute given.

Read the entire plan before making stupid comments. Because your comments are stupid, and I will stand over saying that.

The Navan Road route will have significant bus priority measures making the entire B spine significantly faster than today - as you'd know if you read the entire thing.

This plan isn't produced by someone from Ireland, for starters. It also makes sense, unlike our Victorian bus network.

If the "temporary" tax (USC) was removed, it'd be replaced by income tax. If you currently pay income tax, you'd end up paying more to cover the USC not paid by those outside the tax net. Doesn't sound quite so appealing now, does it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

I'm going from a bus that I get on and it does a single small 5 minute U-turn in a housing estate and straight onto the N3 into town (70), to having to get a bus to blanch shopping centre and then change and do the rounds before it even gets near heading for town. Any figures that say the latter will be quicker are lies.

The 70 is very infrequent. I think it's hourly what's being proposed for Dunboyne is a bus to Blanchardstown every 20-25 mins and then a bus every 5 mins from Blanchardstown that would mean a maximum wait time of 25-30 mins versus a maximum wait of an hour. So a big frequency improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭KD345

Stephen15 wrote: »
    The 70 is very infrequent. I think it's hourly what's being proposed for Dunboyne is a bus to Blanchardstown every 20-25 mins and then a bus every 5 mins from Blanchardstown that would mean a maximum wait time of 25-30 mins versus a maximum wait of an hour. So a big frequency improvement.

The 70 is every 10 minutes in the mornings and evenings, it is hourly throughout the day but supplemented by the 270 between Dunboyne and Blanchardstown.
    The 70 is actually an excellent service and is well liked and used by passengers, running direct down the N3 apart from looping Littlepace.

I can understand why Patww79 likes the current service.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

I'm a little unhappy myself about some of the changes in my local area regarding the local routes. The 63 which goes to DL is being replaced in Cornelscourt, Carrickmines, Ballygoan and Kilternan by the 226 and 227 both which are going to Blackrock rather than DL.

The 63 is a handy bus for me and gets used by a wide variety of school children, young people and older people. It saves a long walk up to Deansgrange or Foxrock Church to get a 46a or 75 for people in the Cabinteely area. It was recently changed to serve Pottery Road it previously served Clonkeen Road. This means it now carries more numbers than it did previously. It could be described as one of the few Network Direct success stories previously it went into the city centre infrequently before it became a local route to DL more frequently.

In my opinion DL is a more popular destination than Blackrock. The new 227 route takes a very wandery route whereas the 226 takes a more direct to Blackrock similar to the current 84 routing whereas the 227 loops wanders around Pottery Road, Abbey Road as far Caryfort Ave.

It would be better if the 229 which goes from Brides Glen to Dun Laoghaire is changed to go to Blackrock following the 227 route from Abbey Road on and the 227 takes the 229 routing from Abbey Road to DL remaining similar to the 63 is now from Ballygoan to DL.

Advertisement