Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BusConnects Dublin - Bus Network Changes Discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Patww79 wrote: »
    Ban them from where?

Bus lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

whats the point of 204 in Greystones?, a tiny circular route in a single direction...

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

whats the point of 204 in Greystones?, a tiny circular route in a single direction...

Connecting the western part of Greystones to the village and the train station.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Noticed that JW is interacting with quite a few people on Twitter now, so if you have a question you might want to put it to the horses mouth so to speak, seems he's also put a few people straight on a few things also including the previously mentioned Politician.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Provides a link between the DART and Charlesland. A lot of Greystones is a fair bit of a walk from the Village and The DART. Perhaps it may be similar to the BE town service in Balbriggan.

I would suggest similar circular routes in Bray and The DL Borough.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Provides a link between the DART and Charlesland. A lot of Greystones is a fair bit of a walk from the Village and The DART. Perhaps it may be similar to the BE town service in Balbriggan.

I would suggest similar circular routes in Bray and The DL Borough.

So why not just run those other two green routes through here (don't have the pdf in front of me now) Seems sorta pointless to have such a small route when two others could cover it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,297 ✭✭✭howiya

I presume I'm missing something blatantly obvious but where do I find proposed journey times in the plan.

So why not just run those other two green routes through here (don't have the pdf in front of me now) Seems sorta pointless to have such a small route when two others could cover it

So like the way the 84 and 184 take a different route through Greystones at present. I guess it would be so the 201 and 202 can take the most direct route through Greystones leaving the areas they cover in Greystones with a more frequent service to Bray without frequency in certain being comprised to serve others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

It would cover the section of Mill Rd currently served by the 84/184 (Charlesland roundabout to Killincarrig crossroads, past the rugby club and Aldi) that would no longer be served by the new 201/202 routes. And also from Blacklion to the harbour, currently served by the 84. And then there's Killincarrig village, between the crossroads and Tesco which doesn't currently have any bus service at all.

The 204 would pass three busy supermarkets, and several schools and housing estates, so it absolutely wouldn't be pointless. Although maybe it would be more suited to a small private operator with a minibus than Dublin Bus or Go Ahead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭Qrt

bk wrote: »
    I hope this screenshot from the report helps reduce some of the confusion about these core routes. I have to say, bus stop signs like this would look great and really help reduce confusion IMO:

dfffb3a2-f699-418b-a29e-9fe1dd1c8f15.png

I'm fairly sure this'll have to change to comply with the Official Languages Act, and rightly so. Maybe Irish one side and English on the other?

Qrt wrote: »
    I'm fairly sure this'll have to change to comply with the Official Languages Act, and rightly so. Maybe Irish one side and English on the other?

I would imagine so.

I don't like the words 'very frequent' being used on an official bus stop it seems a little vague. I would rather 'Every X mins' being used imo.

I would imagine so.

I don't like the words 'very frequent' being used on an official bus stop it seems a little vague. I would rather 'Every X mins' being used imo.

Most likely. I don't this is an NTA design so they'll likely adjust it to look more like the new style luas displays.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Oh god, I knew someone would be along to destroy the readability of our nice signs. The whole OLA concept outside of Gaeltachts is idiotic to good design and usability.

I won't say where, but I've noticed a lot of new bus stop signs and information systems outside of Dublin seem to be in English only. So I wonder if a decision has been made that the OLA might not always actually apply.

Seriously lets just admit the truth that we all know. We are all English speakers. If you really want to save Irish, stop pissing about with silly tokenism on signs and actually invest in Irish language education, etc.

Oh god, I knew someone would be along to destroy the readability of our nice signs. The whole OLA concept outside of Gaeltachts is idiotic to good design and usability.

I won't say where, but I've noticed a lot of new bus stop signs and information systems outside of Dublin seem to be in English only. So I wonder if a decision has been made that the OLA might not always actually apply.

Seriously lets just admit the truth that we all know. We are all English speakers. If you really want to save Irish, stop pissing about with silly tokenism on signs and actually invest in Irish language education, etc.

The original names of all five areas are all Irish so I won't be letting that go easily. The lack of a scrolling "An chéad stad eile" on (exclusively) the red line already p*sses me off enough.

marno21 wrote: »
    Former Union boss using blatant misinformation to try to get him on board the same gravy train he spent 14 years castigating.

Plenty of replies on that tweet calling him out on it.

Zero replies from JOC himself. I'm sure he is aware of misunderstanding but won't admit because of his ignorance. Judging by his twitter feed he thinks he is the Irish Jeremy Corbyn the way he carries on. I can't see someone like him getting Labour out of the wilderness of political irrelevence

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

Does anyone know how much the frequency of trains is set to increase on the phoenix park tunnel service? With two bus services serving hazelhatch and kishoge, four serving adamstown and one park west that's alot of potential transfers I'm assuming it'll have to be at least every 25 minuites or better

• Registered Users Posts: 68,820 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I would imagine so.

Would require stating how many X is - multiple lines with time bands - and changing every stop every time a route changed and the frequency changed.

Sign becomes unreadable and maintenance costs become annoying.

Urban Gaeltachtanna are the fastest growth areas for Irish. Much like everything else in the world Ireland is becoming more urban. Most signs which are dual lingual in Ireland are tastefully done.

I would imagine so.

The frequency changes throughout the day so this can't be done.

• Advertisement

I would imagine so.

The frequency changes throughout the day so you can't do everyone X minutes

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

The original names of all five areas are all Irish so I won't be letting that go easily. The lack of a scrolling "An chéad stad eile" on (exclusively) the red line already p*sses me off enough.

Exactly those names are already derived from Irish, so why not just use the one name that everyone knows them by anyway, both English and Irish speakers.

Sure use Dun Laoghaire for it, but just use Tallaght, Terenure, etc. for those. They are Irish derived anyway.

BTW Tallaght is derived from támh-leacht, which translates as "plague pit" :D The folks of Tallaght would love that.
    Urban Gaeltachtanna are the fastest growth areas for Irish. Much like everything else in the world Ireland is becoming more urban. Most signs which are dual lingual in Ireland are tastefully done.

And yet nearly all the mono-lingual Irish speakers are gone. All those Urban Gaeilgeoirí speak English too and it is pure tokenism. And in my experience, most of them just use the commonly used names that we all know for places. The ones I know I've never heard them say Binn Éadair, they just say Howth in the sentence like the rest of us.

Most of the place names in Dublin end up falling into one of three categories:
    - Just turning a purely English name into Irish, Sraid <English name> with a fuda stuck on somewhere :rolleyes:
    - Names that area already derived from Irish anyway, so why bother.
    - The Irish name is so different from the English name that an Irish speaker probably doesn't know where that is anyway and ends up just reading the English one anyway (e.g. Howth).

It is all really silly.

And as you know it isn't always done well on our public transport. It is particularly bad with the next bus stop signs inside Dublin Buses. Because of the Irish they often don't get a chance to show the English name before the bus has already passed the stop, terrible experience for pretty much everyone.

The RTPI screens are somewhat compromised too. You can clearly see most people just waiting for the screen to return to English.

And everyone hates the way Irish Rail announcements drone on for ever.

Could you add Irish to the above sign, of course and now the text of both is smaller and harder to read for everyone, silly tokenism.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭mickmmc

I'm looking at page 21 of Chapter 7 that covers the new map for Dublin Airport.

It appears that the Airlink routes, the 747 & 757 are not included if these new proposals are approved from the NTA once the consultation is concluded later on this year. For routes terminating at Dublin Airport; there will be only three new routes in operation at this location; the A2, 282 & the 60.

Currently the 41, 41B, 41C, 43 and 33 serve Swords Main Street to the City Centre. Under this plan there will only be one direct service to the City Centre and on to Rathfarnham, the A4.

Benefits:

The A4 follows a similar route to the 41C but the proposed service is pulled from Rivervalley, which is too much of a diversion for large population areas along the Glen Ellen Road. There was a shuttle operating to Rivervalley recently due to water main works but DB have reverted the 41C back into Rivervalley.

Extending the existing 43 to Portrane/Donabate and boosting the frequency on new 280 is welcome. However the new 280 terminates at Clongriffin Station; the existing 43 terminates in Talbot street but it is only an hourly service.

There is a new 281 service between Swords to Portmarnock Dart Station.

The existing 33 terminates in Abbey Street but the proposed 285 terminates at Swords. However, there is a proposed frequency boost.

Downsides:

Potential capacity issues on the A4 and timetabling issues due to this service being a cross city route to Rathmines/Rathfarnham.

DART dependent - the 280 and 281 are linked to the DART service which already has capacity issues

There is one direct PSO service from the Airport to the City Centre, the A2, whereas there are currently 2 - the 16 and the 41.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,820 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Last tweet in the thread just adds to all the issues - someone in the NTA apparently not understanding the damn thing.

L1011 wrote: »
    Last tweet in the thread just adds to all the issues - someone in the NTA apparently not understanding the damn thing.

I'm going to say that is a face saving lie by a certain Mr O’Connor

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

L1011 wrote: »

This is the greatest opportunity Dublin's Bus Service has ever had for a resurgence,but the early signs are that Ireland's Administrative Elite will reduce Jarrett Walkers work to a meaningless hash of confusion and "Local" compromises.

BusConnects,the plan,is a single well considered and workable entity,what we are now seeing is the usual collection of Long-Service eejits,who broke the thing in the first place,now queing up to break this before it shows them up for the charlatans that they are......(Ref: College Green)

Jarrett Walker knows his onions...Busconnects,as a plan FAR exceeds the combined results of EVERY other study (and there have been MANY !) carried out on Dublins Bus Services over the past 70 years,and yet our collective wisdom is to give credence to ill informed,non-researched faux Journalism,and Politically motivated sectionalism.

If ever this country needed a benign Dictator,it's now !!! :D

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,877 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

Jarret Walker keeps referring to the 'legend' on the map. I think he's a bit too close to the project to see that the legend isn't what's needed to dispel the misunderstandings. My first thoughts were that the B1 & B2 from Blanch were local loops that you transferred to from the 'B' line. It took me a few minutes to see the way it really worked, but it wasn't the map legend that told me.

• Advertisement

Guy from Wicklow News has come out to say that the article will be removed and correction will be published.

https://twitter.com/DavidStapleton0/status/1014803943371747328?s=19

Advertisement