Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BusConnects Dublin - Bus Network Changes Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Isn't the livery and branding of Dublin Bus supposed to radically change soon anyway?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

MJohnston wrote: »
    Isn't the livery and branding of Dublin Bus supposed to radically change soon anyway?

Change to the new NTA branding? I assume so, but how exactly that will work still seems uncertain.

Having said that I'd still at least semi differently brand a BRT service from this new NTA bus brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

bk wrote: »
    Change to the new NTA branding? I assume so, but how exactly that will work still seems uncertain.

Having said that I'd still at least semi differently brand a BRT service from this new NTA bus brand.

Perhaps, and hopefully, the NTA brand will be flexible enough to allow for the addition of 'sub brands' like this kind of thing. A TfL style branding system would be ideal.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

There’s no BRT now — do you mean the main routes?

LA does that well for BRT, rapid / express, and local.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

A DCU professor wants to have bendy buses put back in Dublin.

But this time he wants to have them back for mainstream use for BusConnects as being used in the entire Dublin Bus fleet. Is he for real?

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/call-for-use-of-bendy-buses-in-dublin-853915.html

Hey just because they were disastrous in their past doesn't mean we shouldn't have another go at it but this time fix all the problems

Good grief etc. etc.

We might even have a crack at a centrally planned economy while we're at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭sharper

Bambi wrote: »
    Hey just because they were disastrous in their past doesn't mean we shouldn't have another go at it but this time fix all the problems

I'm really confused here - what's the alternative? How can any problem ever be solved if the existence of the problem in the first place is absolute proof it can't be fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

Is there any individual route proposed for Dublin under the new plans where a bendy/extra long bus would work? If there was one, and only one, would it be feasible to run bendy buses on one spine only?

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭mille100piedi

The Office of Public Works won't allow it. They put the kybosh on the proposed 90Z route last year, which was supposed to run from the Zoo along the Quays to Tara Street station.

it is a pity because I live beside the Phoneix Park and many of my guests want to visit the park but it is really too big and with no car is nearly impossible to see all the attractions in the park in the same day.
    hop-on hop-off buses should go into the park and stop at the main attractions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭StreetLight

I always thought the bendy buses would have been good on an Airport Express. Seats along one side, luggage racks on the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I've contacted the council and nta about inadequate bus stop facilities and designs such as position of bus stop pole/shelter, design of stop location such as at parking spaces which then turns the bus stop into a parking bay then also ( path extension out of parking bay could help this). Look at the likes of rathmines across from the Garda station there are bus stops which daily are used for parking, when bus lanes aren't in use parking is permitted up to bus stop box but they aren't wide enough to facilitate buses getting in and out safely, parking on Camden street especially at tesco and then the stop is useless, George's street does be the same.

So much could be done to speed the service up now, why wait another year, two years or just say ah sure it's grand.

• Advertisement

I always thought the bendy buses would have been good on an Airport Express. Seats along one side, luggage racks on the other.

The reason they were an issue here was bus stop design, roads not suitable, no enforcement of any laws such as clearways, bus stops, box junctions etc.

Also wright made them and they were poor quality in my opinion just like the sg type now, such a terrible bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Not everyone out here has that luxury. Most of us are thinking more along the lines of "right how am I going to get everything done that I had originally planned but can't now that I have to use up 90 minutes waiting for the next damn bus"

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

monument wrote: »
    There’s no BRT now — do you mean the main routes?

LA does that well for BRT, rapid / express, and local.

No we were discussing the merits of the original Swiftwat/BRT plan. I know it seems to have been dropped from BusConnects, but I think it was a fundamentally a good idea if implemented properly and no reason why it couldn't be done in future again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,527 ✭✭✭cgcsb

I've contacted the council and nta about inadequate bus stop facilities and designs such as position of bus stop pole/shelter, design of stop location such as at parking spaces which then turns the bus stop into a parking bay then also ( path extension out of parking bay could help this). Look at the likes of rathmines across from the Garda station there are bus stops which daily are used for parking, when bus lanes aren't in use parking is permitted up to bus stop box but they aren't wide enough to facilitate buses getting in and out safely, parking on Camden street especially at tesco and then the stop is useless, George's street does be the same.

So much could be done to speed the service up now, why wait another year, two years or just say ah sure it's grand.

All of this will be addressed anyway there'll also be widespread car bans

cgcsb wrote: »
    All of this will be addressed anyway there'll also be widespread car bans

I honestly doubt it will.

We need proper access to stops that will take more then one bus at a time.

There is so much that could be done now.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Stephen Strange

it is a pity because I live beside the Phoneix Park and many of my guests want to visit the park but it is really too big and with no car is nearly impossible to see all the attractions in the park in the same day.
    hop-on hop-off buses should go into the park and stop at the main attractions.

I'm pretty sure the tourist hop on hop off buses go into the park.

I'm pretty sure the tourist hop on hop off buses go into the park.

Expensive though for locals who just want to bring their kids to the Zoo or other areas around the park. There really should be some circular route around the park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I'm finding the "isochrone" maps very confusing.

Taking Adamstown as an example I'm familiar with, and focusing on a journey to the city centre, it shows at "12pm on a weekday" not even getting out of Lucan in 30 minutes, making it to Palmerstown in 45 minutes and reaching the city centre by 60 minutes.

Right now the estimated off-peak journey time on the timetable for the 25b from Adamstown is 41 minutes to O'Connell and 51 minutes to Merrion Square. I think that's fantasy land unless nobody gets on or off the bus, but would say 50 minutes to O'Connell Street at 12pm on a weekday is true. Usually 35 minutes to Palmerstown.

The 25b will become the C2 route and there appears to be no changes to the route proposed from Adamstown to city centre. So why will the expected journey time be even worse under the new plan? What am I missing?

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭ITV2

Expensive though for locals who just want to bring their kids to the Zoo or other areas around the park. There really should be some circular route around the park.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/darren_hall/40272823685/in/photolist-KH4dFy-25VceeV-27jsoUX-27JGhLd-24mLKp4-Kbz7hs-26XKNPA-27RAnZZ-853knw-7pxjKY-eFDbro-UQiNRD-UQiRt2-aB8SKB-TNtdtn-nQo64G-pBuSwo-UQiT4X-7pxc4d-UQiTZK

they did and nobody used it

• Registered Users Posts: 68,826 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Thought that it was more that the pilot ended and by the time it ended we hadn't got two shiny pennies to rub together to make it not a pilot. Long time ago to find details though

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

L1011 wrote: »
    Thought that it was more that the pilot ended and by the time it ended we hadn't got two shiny pennies to rub together to make it not a pilot. Long time ago to find details though

It ran for a good while - first three buses then went down to a single bus - wikipedia suggests 18 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Absolutely correct.

Stop building inset Bus Bays-Instead convert them to step-out design,with sufficient approach and departure space.

Local Authorities desist from installing Traffic Control Ramps on Bus Routes. The LA's have already proven that they remain unaware of the meaning of the term "Bus Friendly Ramps".

Commission an Independent Professional Assessment of recently installed Traffic measures,such as O Connell St to Parnell St Northbound, D'Olier st to College Green Southbound,in addition to outer locations such as Ranelagh,Rathmines,Rathgar,Swords Village where the removal of often a single car-parking space would provide massive possbilities for improved Bus throughput.

I remain a strong supporter of Jarrett Walkers Busconnects proposal,however,I know him to be a BIG-PICTURE guy,who asks his commissioning customers to adopt his way of thinking.

I somehow doubt however,that he appreciates just how devious and slithery our small-minded,micro managing Local and National Politicians,and their voter bases can be.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭XPS_Zero

I've now read this plan and I'm totally opposed to it, and plan to raise this with my TD.

There is no use by one of these major spines of the (currently infrequently used by only one service) bus stop outside my gaff to take me direct to Swords. I had assumed the new routes would accomidate me on this. It's really unacceptable.

Under the new system I'd have to change busses possibly as many as one time.

Furthermore, the bus seems to stop at other places where other people live, not just intermittently but all along the route. It's not a direct express service. The bus that stops in Swords is also only on the front and back of the centre, there is no stop at the side entrance however meaning you'll have to walk slightly more to get to the shop you want. WHAT ABOUT OLD PEOPLE?

I should be able to get on a bus outside my front door and be undisturbed until I get to my destination. The stress of walking out the doors of one bus, waiting breifly and entering the doors of another to sit back down could go near to killing me.

I also had a look at the map unfortunatly :rolleyes: There is no bus to cater for tourists who might be visiting Dalkey island, there is a road right beside Dalkey harbour (yes there is such a thing) they could use but OF COURSE they don't. People walking along Dun Laoghaire pier will be further dissapointed they will have to walk to Dun Loaghaire DART station or in some cases even WALK UP THE TOWN (yes you heard me right, all the way from the port to the town) to get a bus. Why not reconnect the old rail connection to the port and pause the DART, have it take a detour into the port to pick people up, back cout again and then continue on it's way? hmm? Then have a supplementary bus between DARTs that runs along the harbour walls itself, a mini bus will do obviously a double decker won't fit. Bring back the IMPs!
    (thought some of them were in Tallaght so I think they'll have to be power hosed and generally deloused before we let them back on the southeast coast with decent people, you know, not saying anything I'm just saying) :cool: trigger warning n all that jazz roysh?

Jaarred whatever your name is, if you're such a genius why can't you think of stuff like this?
    Should have kept to pimping for Subway Jarred!

There are no busses running through Mount Merrion! I thought the whole point of this was that skanger---er..working class people---already use PT and we had to get dec---middle class--people out of their cars? So why is there not a mini bus feeder service going around the MM estate feeding people into these magical spines hmmm?

There are no busses through the Phoenix Park! Sure sure I know nobody lives there except the President the yank ambassador, the Taoiseachs semi-secret gaff and some cops and theres no "demand" or other fancy paper pusher reasons but if someone wants to get a bus they will have to walk...walking! Can you imagine the PTSD these people will suffer from going from the big monument thing where the rent boys hang out at all the way down to Heuston? Flashbacks! Paranoia! Night Terrors! Anxiety Attacks! Who will treat these poor souls JAAARED? LEO? MODS? WHO? Suddenly you've no f----g answers do you?

Also I have to return to UCD after my medical leave to finish my degree and the new UCD connected routes don't go to the door of the (unfortunatly named since others use it) arts block. Why was a road extension inside the campus not constructed from the bus terminus opposite Centra to accomdiate this? or at the very least a BRT or people mover? Do you know how far it is to walk from either the entrance or the bus terminus at the side of the campus to the arts block? Who do they think I am Usain Bolt?

I frequently get the Enterprise service and it seems to me it woudl not have been too much trouble for them to put a bus stop to the right of platform 1/2 where the shuttle busses leave from in the event of line improvement work, and have this route connect directly to my apt block so I can quickly step off one service and onto the other without needing that lift to the DART station from my room mate.

There is also a huge unexplained gap in the middle of the map I can't figure out, I assume this was intentional neoliberal degredation of services:

bHXTK8

https://ibb.co/bHXTK8

Finally how on earth how in the name of focking gawd am I going to survive without the 46a loike? As the politically connected one in the group I'm gonna have be totes morto explaining this change of all of them! How will I catch up on all goss from D4 land? Talk to my friends? That's a trying proposition at the best of times loike they're not very nice people. I just hang out with them for the networking and the oppertunities they provide via social contacts to netflix n chill (in some cases). Were gonna have to sue to stop this. There are rumors they are connecting the new bus to the north side, people who wear addidas and hoopey ear rings could be walking the streets of Stillorgan, DOnnybrook town and even if it all goes to hell might tresspass on sacred ground like Wes or....(shudder) UCD campus itself holy fock...this is an outrage. Were gonna have to do something, the rabble got worked up about paying for water I'm sure I could get them whipped up for this. Down with northside---hmmm not very populist...maybe I can put an astrix at the end that leads to a footnote that says ''if your'e from Howth, or Malahide you are welcome''.

I hope I was not too cruel in tearing this plan to shreds with my barrage of logic and bravery to make the tough points, but one must be firm or the whole shop will go to hell you know?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

It took me a while to figure out that you were being sarcastic. Sadly, I could well imagine some people saying that.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭defrule

What we could do with is bus terminals like this:

sn05052501_big.jpg

If more buses to pass through these terminals then it makes bus connects far easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Im pretty sure we had a plan for such a station that never went anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Even something like crystal palace bus station dotted around the city will do us.

Buses0000+Waiting+to+leave+from+Crystal+Palace++Bus+garage+Route+157.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

ED E wrote: »
    Im pretty sure we had a plan for such a station that never went anywhere.

At least we got Temple Bar instead...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭thomasj

35 minute journey from hartstown to the quays this morning. I love the summer months !

If bus connects can make this an all year round thing I'll be happy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,527 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Even a single decker that operated every 20 minutes. Although I suspect in decent bout of weather that'd be quickly overwhelmed.

Advertisement