Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BusConnects Dublin - Bus Network Changes Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    The other difference I think is that after the War, much of the continent's cities were in ruins and so the idea of decent public transport infrastructure could be built from scratch and expanded upon over time.

Whereas in Ireland we ripped up tram and rail lines and spent a fortune relaying 2 of them in Dublin, and removed most of any remaining space with urban sprawl.

Very true,however it is what they built from scratch that counts...simple,no-frills,yet eminently useable termini/interchanges that 70 years on continue to function.

Our far more recent forays into such Infrastructure has been littered with grandiose and dysfunctional stuff,much of which never made it to fruition.

The Square in Tallaght,as an example,was a bustling Bus Interchange,with a network of LocalLink services T01,02 & 03 all operating 15-20 min frequency services feeding into the Main Bus stops,which were located right up at the main entrance....a far cry from the 2018 Square setup,which has seen the Bus Routes flung out to the perimiter road,leaving only an odd-couple of routes inside the actual centre itself,in a rather spectacular example of how the Irish interpretation of the term "Interchange" may differ somewhat from everybody else's.

Liffey Valley...ditto

Blanchardstown Centre fares a bit better,as it remains fairly central in what admittedly is a somewhat larger site.

Leaving this Infrastructural provision to the NTA's "parallell" Busconnects programme may yet be the undoing of Jarrett Walkers plan,as if the NTA remain true to our past,it will continue our proud tradition of perimiterizing the bus service.

I would prefer if Walker had been given this brief as well,but hey-ho,what we do have is far better than anything suggested in the past 20 years.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Bambi wrote: »
    Like busaras? Real benefit to the environs that is

Or Perhaps like the giant bus shed they wanted to turn temple bar into :confused:

Can't see a giant bus stop being too popular an idea

BusArás of it's time was hugely advanced and it's very conception was way beyond the norms in the British Isles.

The notion of a central covered Bus Station,adjacent to the then very busy North Wall Ferries to Britain,with a cinema devoted to "live" Pathé newsreel news coverage,and rooftop restaurants,with the office space given over to the HQ of the State's Transport Authority...this was far beyond what a small,virtually broke,fledgling State,should have been capable of.

I can't help seeing a trace of this willingness to stride forward,in the original CIE/ S.O &M Temple Bar proposal,which sadly fell viction to the personal plans of the then Taoiseach,CJ Haughey...and it was far,far more than a giant "Bus Shed",that much is clear.

https://comeheretome.com/2013/10/24/the-failed-central-bus-station-temple-bar/
    In 1977, the following proposal for a Central Bus Station was put forward. Designed by Skidmore Owings & Merrill LLP, this development would span the River Liffey, with development on Ormond Quay designed to complement that in Temple Bar. Looking at Dame Street and Wellington Quay on the map, the sheer scale of this proposal is apparent. It was planned that a tunnel under the Liffey would join both sites, and it was also planned to incorporate the DART into the site.

However,as with the forward looking and innovative plans for the construction of 8 modular Bus Depots across Ireland,to the design of Ove Arup/Micheal Scott,the first of which was "new" Donnybrook Bus Garage in 1952...it was not to be. :(

http://archiseek.com/2010/1953-donnybrook-bus-garage-donnybrook-dublin/

Interestingly,and again in true Irish style,Politics intervened and brutally so,in the form of Dan O'Donovan,and the ability to continue with the new and vibrant,design led programme was literally set alight to.
    The other seven garages were never executed and the concrete moulds were destroyed after the completion of Donnybrook due to Government politics and the advice of a senior civil servant Dan O’Donovan. O’Donovan was a man of very strong personal convictions on building and was later to be appointed to oversee the building of Busáras, to the despair of Scott.

"I'll not build it,and I'll make damn sure nobody else does either !"

It's also quite pertinent to see how some of the best known figures who flitted around the Temple Bar candle,remain active in our Political milleu almost 30 years later.....

https://businessandfinance.com/though-the-decades-laura-magahy-2001/

http://www.thejournal.ie/slaintecare-laura-magahy-4124292-Jul2018/

It was the far sightedness of our best-ever Taoiseach that allowed the then young Laura to take the Temple Bar Artistic Hub concept to new heights,which many still see as preferable to a "Bus Shed" or a DART Station....

http://www.charlesjhaughey.ie/other.php?article=20

Progress,like peace,often comes dripping slowly.....very slowly ;)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,876 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭Qrt

Zebra3 wrote: »

To be fair, I can understand the isolated communities part. If I remember correctly, one of the Parisian Banlieues, Clichy-sous-bois, had no workable connection to central Paris. I'm sure that was far from the main reason for its woes, but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

AlekSmart wrote: »
    However,as with the forward looking and innovative plans for the construction of 8 modular Bus Depots across Ireland,to the design of Ove Arup/Micheal Scott,the first of which was "new" Donnybrook Bus Garage in 1952...it was not to be. :(

http://archiseek.com/2010/1953-donnybrook-bus-garage-donnybrook-dublin/

Interestingly,and again in true Irish style,Politics intervened and brutally so,in the form of Dan O'Donovan,and the ability to continue with the new and vibrant,design led programme was literally set alight to.

"I'll not build it,and I'll make damn sure nobody else does either !"

Tried to actively prevent busarse being built and ensured no other Donnybrook garage replicas were either?

This O'Donovan guy sounds like a ****ing hero. Someone should put up a statue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭john boye

Zebra3 wrote: »

Somebody should ask him how exactly the current mess of a system is better for the elderly and the disabled

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

To be honest, I think that it's pretty ageist to assume that elderly folk won't be able to deal with a change in their bus service.

CatInABox wrote: »
    To be honest, I think that it's pretty ageist to assume that elderly folk won't be able to deal with a change in their bus service.

True. I've offered my seat to elderly people on the luas a few times, where they got slightly offended and declined. Once every stop along the main spines is a shelter, then it will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭sharper

john boye wrote: »
    Somebody should ask him how exactly the current mess of a system is better for the elderly and the disabled

A better question will be why bus connects is suddenly perfectly ok for the disabled and elderly once a commitment for pay review is added into the plan.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Qrt wrote: »
    True. I've offered my seat to elderly people on the luas a few times, where they got slightly offended and declined. Once every stop along the main spines is a shelter, then it will be fine.

I've put my foot in it often enough at this stage that I don't offer at all, unless someone is wearing a "baby on board" badge. If people want to sit down, they can ask, I have no problem with moving for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭plodder

I notice they have dropped some outlying routes completely (including my own) with no replacement service. Yet they claim that the entire network currently served will still be served, just not necessarily the same streets. That's kind of misleading.

plodder wrote: »
    I notice they have dropped some outlying routes completely (including my own) with no replacement service. Yet they claim that the entire network currently served will still be served, just not necessarily the same streets. That's kind of misleading.

Where's that?

Where's that?
    41B to Rolestown (outside Swords).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭cgcsb

make a submission. ask for the 282 to be extended to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭A2000

No replacement for 40b 41b or 44b. Also 185 stretch from enniskerry to shop river will go. The G1 will not serve spiddal park or lower Ballyfermot but will be following the 40 route from inchicore which is not an improvement. The proposed route are aimed at getting the buses to the city as quickly as possible but give no thought to the social aspects of the current routes and how people use them. There are 2 old folks complexes at the 79 terminus at spiddal park. Also.people use 79 to get to the doctors chemist hairdressers and post office at claddagh green and go to the main shopping area in ballyfermot . No replacement offered to the mostly elderly population that uses it. Seems the 2 areas are to.lose the service to make up the time lost by forcing it through inchicore and mount brown. Taking a service away from an area after 70 years where the residents need it more than ever is no improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,788 ✭✭✭✭L1011

plodder wrote: »
    41B to Rolestown (outside Swords).

I'd expect a replacement LocalLink in to Swords at probably a higher frequency than the 41b; but expectations and reality may have no connection to each other. Definitely something to push the NTA and local reps over.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Tae laidir

I dip in and out of this forum and find it most interesting and frustrating.
    As a user of buses in the south west of the city, I would like to keep myself informed about the minutiae of the south west of the city, but have limited interest in the minutiae of other areas.
    As the main corridors appear to be defined and named, would it be appropriate for the moderators or any other of the well informed contributors to this site to set up separate forums for each of the corridors?
    This forum could then be used general issues about Bus Connect.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭jd

Some discussion coming up in the transport committee
    Ranelagh people who wants metrolink rerouted
    and Dermot O'Leary talking about Bus Connects

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/oireachtas-tv/cr2-live/

L1011 wrote: »
    I'd expect a replacement LocalLink in to Swords at probably a higher frequency than the 41b; but expectations and reality may have no connection to each other. Definitely something to push the NTA and local reps over.
    I get that a direct route from Rolestown all the way to city centre (a la 41B) is out of the question, but I'm going to (try to) hold them to their promise of covering the same area as before, as part of this plan, rather than some half-baked after thought. Extending the 282 would be the obvious thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭cgcsb

A2000 wrote: »
    No replacement for 40b 41b or 44b. Also 185 stretch from enniskerry to shop river will go. The G1 will not serve spiddal park or lower Ballyfermot but will be following the 40 route from inchicore which is not an improvement. The proposed route are aimed at getting the buses to the city as quickly as possible but give no thought to the social aspects of the current routes and how people use them. There are 2 old folks complexes at the 79 terminus at spiddal park. Also.people use 79 to get to the doctors chemist hairdressers and post office at claddagh green and go to the main shopping area in ballyfermot . No replacement offered to the mostly elderly population that uses it. Seems the 2 areas are to.lose the service to make up the time lost by forcing it through inchicore and mount brown. Taking a service away from an area after 70 years where the residents need it more than ever is no improvement.
    The 79 terminus is about 300m from the G1 route

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

As a user of the goddamned-to-hell never-to-be-seen-again 56 service to Dolphins Barn, there is a very high proportion of very unobservant users of buses. People wanting to go to town, already putting money in not having read the big sign on the front of the bus or the number on the front or the sign in the front window or sign on the driver's door that the bus was operating to Dolphins Barn.

People who don't look at maps, don't use apps, don't consult with experts or pore over every detail, don't even look at the bus they're getting on or where it's going.

But they are still bus users. So it's a very big challenge ahead and not to be underestimated how unaware people can be. And prepare for them slowing everything down, not just to steam ahead with the shiny technological change and expect them to catch up.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

jd wrote: »
    Some discussion coming up in the transport committee
    Ranelagh people who wants metrolink rerouted
    and Dermot O'Leary talking about Bus Connects

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/oireachtas-tv/cr2-live/
    dfx- wrote: »
    As a user of the goddamned-to-hell never-to-be-seen-again 56 service to Dolphins Barn, there is a very high proportion of very unobservant users of buses. People wanting to go to town, already putting money in not having read the big sign on the front of the bus or the number on the front or the sign in the front window or sign on the driver's door that the bus was operating to Dolphins Barn.

People who don't look at maps, don't use apps, don't consult with experts or pore over every detail, don't even look at the bus they're getting on or where it's going.

But they are still bus users. So it's a very big challenge ahead and not to be underestimated how unaware people can be. And prepare for them slowing everything down, not just to steam ahead with the shiny technological change and expect them to catch up.

And, as I said before, it's both of these factors that will doom this plan before it starts unless there's a political will and authority to push through with only minor alterations.

But there's likely an election on the way and there's no chance TD's will risk losing votes over it, so expect lots of "compromises" that will chip away at the overall effectiveness each time.

Enthusiasts here may see the "big picture", but yer average Irish voter/TD is far more parochial and "me first!" than that :(

cgcsb wrote: »
    The 79 terminus is about 300m from the G1

You are missing the point. People in cherry orchard use the 79 to get to the post office chemist etc. The stop they bosrd at is much further than 300 meters away.. elderly people are unable to carry shopping any distance. So withdrawing thier service is no improvement

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    And, as I said before, it's both of these factors that will doom this plan before it starts unless there's a political will and authority to push through with only minor alterations.

But there's likely an election on the way and there's no chance TD's will risk losing votes over it, so expect lots of "compromises" that will chip away at the overall effectiveness each time.

Enthusiasts here may see the "big picture", but yer average Irish voter/TD is far more parochial and "me first!" than that :(

Equally, pushing through without considering how they use the bus is not going to help.

Expecting that they are going to go from not reading the destination or number on the bus or any other sign or technology that is already available for years to be able to pick up that you can connect the 253 with the 564 and hop on the D1 is running before you can kneel.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Equally, pushing through without considering how they use the bus is not going to help.

Expecting that they are going to go from not reading the destination or number on the bus or any other sign or technology that is already available for years to be able to pick up that you can connect the 253 with the 564 and hop on the D1 is running before you can kneel.

And appropriate measures should be put in place to help people adjust to the new system. There will obviously be some confusion and bedding in period with difficulties.

But you don't design an entire transport system on the basis of people being too bloody lazy to read.
    not just to steam ahead with the shiny technological change and expect them to catch up.

I think that's exactly what should be done. Because people are far too happy to sit and accept the status quo if not forced out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

AlekSmart wrote: »
    BusArof it's time was hugely advanced and it's very conception was way beyond the norms in the British Isles.

The notion of a central covered Bus Station,adjacent to the then very busy North Wall Ferries to Britain,with a cinema devoted to "live" Pathewsreel news coverage,and rooftop restaurants,with the office space given over to the HQ of the State's Transport Authority...this was far beyond what a small,virtually broke,fledgling State,should have been capable of.

I can't help seeing a trace of this willingness to stride forward,in the original CIE/ S.O &M Temple Bar proposal,which sadly fell viction to the personal plans of the then Taoiseach,CJ Haughey...and it was far,far more than a giant "Bus Shed",that much is clear.

https://comeheretome.com/2013/10/24/the-failed-central-bus-station-temple-bar/

Busaras was what you would call a noble failure, or just an outright failure, and one that's made a hames of its environs ever since. A case of ambition over stepping ability, from the same company that you think could have managed something far grander on a far bigger scale :confused:

The temple bar bus shed :) would have been another planning cluster**** but on a scale that would make the civic offices and the central bank look like dodgy patio extensions. Another monument to the egotism of the Irish public sector who wanted to spunk all over the city.

One of the few good calls Haughey made was to bin it. A giant bus depot is the kind of city planning you'd only expect from some doomed industrial ****hole in the middle of England.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

How do you suggest that anyone should be able to change their bus network while accommodating for people who can't read the front of a bus?

With all respect, but if these people haven't bothered to learn that this is how transport operates after all this time, they don't deserve to be accommodated or specifically they shouldn't be accommodated at the expense of an improvement to the network that benefits a vast majority of people.

I do think there's an onus on NTA to do outreach to elderly people and have localised, printed information sent to them (and the simplification of the network should actually make this a reasonably simple proposition), but it should not be any kind of barrier on the approval of the overall project.

We can't wait another 10 years for all the old people to shuffle off this mortal coil and a generation of internet savvy pensioners to replace them.

cgcsb wrote: »
    The 79 terminus is about 300m from the G1

You are missing the point. People in cherry orchard use the 79 to get to the post office chemist etc. The stop they bosrd at is much further than 300 meters away.. elderly people are unable to carry shopping any distance. So withdrawing thier service is no improvement

You seem to be making a sweeping generalisation about elderly people. Besides, trollies exist. People are just too weird about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

MJohnston wrote: »
    I do think there's an onus on NTA to do outreach to elderly people and have localised, printed information sent to them (and the simplification of the network should actually make this a reasonably simple proposition), but it should not be any kind of barrier on the approval of the overall project.

We can't wait another 10 years for all the old people to shuffle off this mortal coil and a generation of internet savvy pensioners to replace them.

It kind of depends, when the NTA brought out their new timetables they spent a fortune on special fonts and layouts and they were no great shakes at all, while the whole RTPI design was a bit of a fiasco.

lets see what they're coming up with in terms of intuitive design this time around before we start pillorying people

• Advertisement

Qrt wrote: »

You seem to be making a sweeping generalisation about elderly people. Besides, trollies exist. People are just too weird about them.

And people on tripods are unable to push a trolly. Who is generalising now?

Advertisement