Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BusConnects Dublin - Bus Network Changes Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭sharper

SG317 wrote: »
    Quite frankly he seems to be getting more arrogant. He really needs to work on his sales technique. He acts as if he is the Dublin commuter's saviour and comes across as entitled and unwilling to accept critism of the plan.

The people that don't like this plan also seem to take particular issue with Jarret Walker as an individual. I don't think there's anything he could do which wouldn't be criticised in this case.

If he didn't respond on twitter at all he'd be accused of being aloof, disinterested, uninvolved.

If he responded in a more "media savvy" manner he'd be accused of being slick, dishonest, ignoring the real issues.

My reading of his comments is that he's someone passionate and knowledgeable about public transport. He's produced a plan that many people are willing to misrepresent to further their own ends and which many more people are inclined to criticise without taking any time at all to understand what's in it.

Overall this shows exactly why Ireland has terrible public transport in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

I think his responses have been good when people lie and resort to personal abuse whenever they find something they don't like about the plan. If you don't like an element of the plan why can't they make their submission rather than resorting to personal abuse on Twitter and lies.

This goes especially for local representives of opposition political primarily FF and the usual PBP/AAA and Joan Collins brigade who are just opposing the plan because it doesn't suit their agenda which is a free for all that involves not taking any personal or social responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

SG317 wrote: »
    Quite frankly he seems to be getting more arrogant. He really needs to work on his sales technique. He acts as if he is the Dublin commuter's saviour and comes across as entitled and unwilling to accept critism of the plan. He should leave his consultant Dan Costantino to do all the PR. He actually knows how to deal with the public and does not come across as a self serving and disconnected. He also has actually answered the publics questions and acknowledged certain flaws with the plan. Jarret Walker, to be honest has not done any good in selling the plan apart to the already pro-bus connects people.

Jarrett Walker has the perfect attitude for dealing with the Irish public and media, which is to not take any of their usual nonsense.

There are just a lot of people commenting on BusConnects that would rather the whole project fail than provide some constructive criticism on particular elements.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Walker has taken personal abuse and had people claim he said things that he never did. Dermot O'Leary is blithering absolute nonsense at him every 20 minutes all day and now Dermot seems to be switching between his account and the NBRU Twitter account to make it look like he has more supporters.

Meanwhile, politicians who have been caught out not understanding the plans are sending out leaflets and holding public meetings.

The weaponisation of people's ignorance by politicians and trade unionists could be the death of this proposal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

MJohnston wrote: »
    Dermot O'Leary's behaviour is remarkable. I thought maybe he'd just gotten someone else to do his spamming of boards earlier, but it seems increasingly clear it was just him. How can someone who is acting like a child having a tantrum be the general secretary of a union?

https://twitter.com/DermotLeary/status/1022520095946539008
    This is him explaining how the unions are open to changes.

To phase phase we drove buses then drove smaller buses then bigger buses. Sometimes the bus would have to go new places and we drove there. We stopped handling cash and we asked for improved security got it but are listing that as willingness to change too

• Advertisement

"Cashless", brilliant, they accepted a change that meant that they had to do substantially less work.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Just a reminder that we cannot speculate on the identity of posters.

- Moderators

"Cashless", brilliant, they accepted a change that meant that they had to do substantially less work.

Now, now don't be dismissive the professional bus drivers also accepted a change that meant they drove a slightly different kind of bus.

Fine, I'll rephrase (attack the tweet, not the tweeter and all that):

Dermot O'Leary's behaviour on Twitter is remarkable. How can someone who appears to be acting like a child having a tantrum be the general secretary of a union?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,876 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

And which also made them safer. Unreal. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭sharper

Weren't "one man" busses introduced in the 1980s? What percentage of current drivers would have ever worked any other way?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

Fine, I'll rephrase (attack the tweet, not the tweeter and all that):

Dermot O'Leary's behaviour on Twitter is remarkable. How can someone who appears to be acting like a child having a tantrum be the general secretary of a union?

Lets not forget the stones being thrown by drivers at their own buses leaving Harristown garage and that was on over a timetable on one route (128).

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Peregrine wrote: »
    Meanwhile, politicians who have been caught out not understanding the plans are sending out leaflets and holding public meetings.

The weaponisation of people's ignorance by politicians and trade unionists could be the death of this proposal.

Got to admit at this stage it's hard to see how the plan can survive in it's current form by everything that is being kicked up, unless the NTA starts to take firm control of the situation because it's turning into somewhat of a circus in my view.

Does anyone know what SIPTU's view on this is? They seem to be very quiet. Would the members of the NBRU tend to be more senior than SIPTU, and potentially have more to lose, such as marked-in status?

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭tkd93

Honestly I am already stressing over these changes. Currently I am 2 minutes walk from 69 and 8 minutes from 13. What is going to happen to me after this change?. I work in town as do many people I know. You cannot just take away these services and leave people with no alternative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

devnull wrote: »
    Does anyone know what SIPTU's view on this is? They seem to be very quiet. Would the members of the NBRU tend to be more senior than SIPTU, and potentially have more to lose, such as marked-in status?

Siptu seem to be taking a more mature approach

https://www.kildarestreet.com/committees/?id=2018-07-18a.357

tkd93 wrote: »
    Honestly I am already stressing over these changes. Currently I am 2 minutes walk from 69 and 8 minutes from 13. What is going to happen to me after this change?. I work in town as do many people I know. You cannot just take away these services and leave people with no alternative.

Where are you talking about?

Near the Green Isle Hotel for me personally.

Belgard Road>w2 >A trunk to town

Complete madness I have gone from multiple direct buses to that. Any idea where exactly on the belgard road.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Complete madness I have gone from multiple direct buses to that. Any idea where exactly on the belgard road.

The maps aren't that details I'd assume at the junction at Newlands. How frequent are your current direction routes? The A bus will be less than every 5 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭jd

63 goes into town?

456758.png

jd wrote: »
    63 goes into town?

456758.png

I ignored the 63 due to low frequency but yes also an option

Goldengirl wrote: »
    But my point is that people shouldn't have to use a dial a bus service, which I do know about, actually.
    A public service should endeavour to serve all sections of the community. Your arguments are just excuses for your obvious disinterest in discussing a reasonable accommodation. And speaking of fit and ablebodied, I'm not and I'm not elderly either. I find your comments offensive.

Then don't use it and walk to the bus stop. I'm not sure what will please you. I think a dial-a-bus service coupled with a bus on average 300 metres away is very reasonable. Nothing I've said has been offensive. If you wish quote what I've said that's been offensive or DM. I will of course apologise if I've said something inappropriate

At the moment I tend to organise myself around the 69 which tends to be hourly. I used to get the 13 home in the evenings but it was to packed to even fit everyone on board and was very slowly.

I am looking at a print out on facebook:
    13 is gone.
    68& 69 are now local services.
    151 is gone.

It just seems very poorly communicated to me. If I look on the website I only see a bus between Red Cow and Driminagh. I cannot see this been implemented because when the general public starts getting its head around this there will be war.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

At the moment I tend to organise myself around the 69 which tends to be hourly. I used to get the 13 home in the evenings but it was to packed to even fit everyone on board and was very slowly.

13 is gone.
    151 is gone.

It just seems very poorly communicated to me. If I look on the website I only see a bus between Red Cow and Driminagh. I cannot see this been implemented because when the general public starts getting its head around this there will be war.

This highlights that fact the current network isn't working.

But I think it'd be wise if they launched some sort of interactive journey planner showing new journey times and routing.

13 is gone.
    151 is gone.

So for one quick change you'll be in work much quicker

I dont think anyone disagrees with that. But when you consider the amount of people using the above routes plus buses like 69x 51D etc surely depriving a direct bus cannot be justified.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Goldengirl wrote: »
    Thank you. This is what I was talking about. Dial a Bus is, as you point out for people who really would be shut in , if it wasn't available. However in my experience it is only for hospital or doctor's appointments, but if that is not so at this time am unsure. The smaller feeder services is what I have been talking about all along, as I do agree the bigger doubledeckers are wasted going through some estates. My issue with the Dial a Bus system is the unsuitability for people who have a fair amount of independence but need a little bit of support e.g.. physically cannot carry a load too far, or walk too far, but with a feeder service can maintain a decent lifestyle and independence. I don't think it is too much to ask.

How is a dial-a-bus service direct to your door to the nearest hub with most likely a better frequency worse than a feeder bus with most likely an hourly service and the stop will still be 300 m away?

Advertisement