Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House insurance policy for injury only - No rebuilding/repair

Options
  • 30-05-2017 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭

I’m a landlord of a house which has a flat roof kitchen. The house is proving difficult to ensure because of this. The roof is very sound, and I’m not worried about water damage etc. or consequent repair costs.

Is is possible to get house insurance that covers personal injury only?

Thanks
    P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Honestly, I think you have no idea the damage that can happen to a house in a short space of time. If you have the 160k+ to rebuild it and no mortgage on it, you can do what you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Is your house immune from fire?, Storm damage?Oil leaking?

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭pj9999

Honestly, I think you have no idea the damage that can happen to a house in a short space of time. If you have the 160k+ to rebuild it and no mortgage on it, you can do what you want.

I can cover the rebuilding costs (it's a small terraced house) but you've made me think about something else. A fire etc. could damage the adjoining houses also.

I don't think I 'can do what I want' in terms of insurance. Does a house insurance policy equivalent to 3rd party for a car exist - I suspect it'd be hard to find.

P

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

If a fire starts in your house, and spreads to other houses, you're not liable. They have to insure against fire themselves, or just bear the risk.

Still, you do want to insure your own house against fire. The soundness of the kitchen roof will not protect you from fire.

It seems to me that what you want is a conventional landlord's insurance policy, but with an exclusion for any loss or damage attributable to, or increased by, the flatness of the kitchen roof.

Talk to an insurance broker. If you're willing to pay a sufficiently large premium, an insurer should be willing to write this policy.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

If a fire starts in your house- and adjoining properties are water damaged from fire tenders fighting the blaze- you are however, liable for their water damage.

• Advertisement
Advertisement