Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spray painting the road with directions for a charity cycle?

Options
  • 30-05-2017 11:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Does anyone know if there is a specific spray paint that I could use to spray on a back road that will wash away after a couple of days?

I'm organizing a charity cycle for my work this weekend and as it's a mixed standard people will be splitting up. It's also mostly going to be on back roads.

Ideally I want to go out the night before and spray an arrow just on the back roads where there is no sign posts without ruining the road or upsetting anyone.

Is this ok to do? Is there a spray paint that will wash off after a few days?

The event is for The Irish Heart Foundation

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Chalk? Do they do chalk based spray cans?

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

Andy Magic wrote: »
    Hey all,

Does anyone know if there is a specific spray paint that I could use to spray on a back road that will wash away after a couple of days?

I'm organizing a charity cycle for my work this weekend and as it's a mixed standard people will be splitting up. It's also mostly going to be on back roads.

Ideally I want to go out the night before and spray an arrow just on the back roads where there is no sign posts without ruining the road or upsetting anyone.

I don't think the relevant Co. Council would approve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Andy Magic

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Chalk? Do they do chalk based spray cans?

That's not a bad idea, providing it doesn't rain but worth a go

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I don't think the relevant Co. Council would approve give a toss!
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

While I believe it's discouraged in favour of signage, I don't think it is outright banned.

Signage is the preferred option as it doesn't wash away, yet is easy to remove. Chalk paint should be grand... if it stays dry. I wouldn't be using a paint that leaves a permanent mark anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

What do they use on sports pitches these days, eg Landsdowne road. It washes off with hot water if I remember correctly so they can quickly turn a pitch around from rugby to football etc.

Would seem to be the job if it was available anywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

Hey all,

Something like this? https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/ckb/Montana-Chalk-Spray-Paint-Temporary-Marking-Eco-Friendly/B00JEECAEW

Though getting it from Amazon by the weekend (if they ship to Ireland) might be tight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

Buy a second can, of black paint.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

Fair play for doing this the right way.

Some donkey did this on my road a couple of years ago. Don't know what they used but it's still there.

That's not a bad idea, providing it doesn't rain but worth a go
    Would probably work if it was dry when put on, and was rained on (going by the kids on our tarmac, it doesn't wash off that quick). May be an issue if the road is wet putting it on, but that would apply to the survey marker paint sprays too I think?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

Rackstar wrote: »
    Some donkey did this on my road a couple of years ago. Don't know what they used but it's still there.
    Ask at the local donkey sanctuary.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Ask at the local donkey sanctuary.

Sounds like bray wheelers at it again. :) (I'll get my coat....)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Andy Magic

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Would probably work if it was dry when put on, and was rained on (going by the kids on our tarmac, it doesn't wash off that quick). May be an issue if the road is wet putting it on, but that would apply to the survey marker paint sprays too I think?

That's a good point about the rain, the kids in my estate regularly write there names on the road and that lasts through rain if I remember correctly. Obviously not for long but 12 hours should be ok

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

• Registered Users Posts: 14,399 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Depends on the amount of road traffic. Most paint now is supposed to disappear after a few months. I actually have black paint to paint over other people's road marks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

What colour will you be using? I must get out soon and redo my fcuk the gardai/council splashes.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

... I want to go out the night before and spray an arrow just on the back roads...
    Just be aware that it takes much longer than you'd expect to mark roads (depending of course on the length of the sportive and number of junctions).

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭trek climber

Also a good idea if you are going out to mark roads is to have a 2nd person with you to watch out for traffic etc...

Just be aware that it takes much longer than you'd expect to mark roads (depending of course on the length of the sportive and number of junctions).
    +1 on that takes a full day to do 3 routes for our sportive. Think it was about 9pm when I finished ours.
    Wear a hi vis vest. You're allowed to do anything wearing one !

Might be a few this weekend at ras dun na ngall

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭jntsnk

We had a local sportive recently, and it's a great idea to highlight the potholes but the fellas here decided to mark out every little indentation in the road that I wouldn't classify as a pothole along with faces and comments.
    Keep it simple. Never heard about co.council issues but every county is different.

• Advertisement

We actually send our safety plan to the council (as your supposed to) and we also send the routes to all the local road guys and they fill most of the pot holes on route. They actually resurfaced a long stretch of road in the hills after talking to them last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

Maybe talk to your local motorsport club if you have one, they would have posts with arrows for events. They may lend them to you. Would take a couple of people and a van to put out and collect from each junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

+1 on whats been said about how long it takes. And The black paint

For safety of participants its the warnings about Road Hazards. Bends, Bridges. Road narrowing, Steep descents that are important. So when going out to mark you have to view everything from the weakest cyclists point of view . It can drive you mad sitting in the car wondering how will the different levels of cyclist react to things you take for granted .

A Stencil of the Event Title abbreviation helps. You can make it small but distinctive. Ie W200, RoK.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Haul d Naul spray paint marking are still perfectly clear on the roads around north Dublin.
    Can't say I agree with the use of spray paint, washable sprays or chalk make more sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

sparrowcar wrote: »
    Haul d Naul spray paint marking are still perfectly clear on the roads around north Dublin....
    ...and they left a poster on a pole near my house for weeks afterwards. I eventually took it down and disposed of it myself.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

sparrowcar wrote: »
    Haul d Naul spray paint marking are still perfectly clear on the roads around north Dublin.
    Can't say I agree with the use of spray paint, washable sprays or chalk make more sense.

I was wondering what HdN was for months as they're all around the airport.

Not sure whether to post this here or in the event moan thread, but going to be interesting to see how the WW200 deal with the old road markings/ new route problem next week!

A bit torn on whether this is really an issue or not - the amount of litter bugs me more. Or left up signs when (usually charity cycles rather than sportives) leave up. Definitely don't "Hammertime" to disappear from the Shay anyway :)

Advertisement