Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2017 Local authority SEO competition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭passinginterest

I just emailed them too. Will revert. For the people that got through, are you currently working in a local authority?

No civil servant, applied as a HEO with pretty much the same form I used for the AP competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Kigera

sukisue wrote: »
    I have emailed public jobs in relation to feed back and the appeals procedure. Will update.

I also queried the number through to interview from the 200 and the percentage of these that are existing council staff. I know In the past that they favour those who are existing staff members.

I didnt get shortlisted either, also recently appointed an AP. I know of 6 others who also didnt get shortlised (5 of which are long term HEOs and 1 who is an experienced AP).

As per Page 14 and 15 of the job booklet, you have 2 days to seek an informal review. As per page 14, feedback will be provided on written request. Feedback is not time bound.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Nerd Queen

In the top 10 didn't get through. Very bitterly disappointed. AO with 2 years experience in a central dept and I have extensive private sector experience leading teams. I have emailed to ask also.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 neilie22

I also fell at the shortlisting hurdle. Very dissappointed as I felt I had a strong submission. I have emailed to request feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Sheep_Lover

Shortlisting results are out.

I got through, not sure what to do now as I recently got AP and I like my posting.

AP is the Civil Service equivalent to SEO so no reason for you to move I would suggest?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 Sheep_Lover

Didn't get through either. Have 9 years HEO experience and what I would have considered a strong form. I was recently promoted to AP although that wasn't on the form. This is extremely disappointing. I will definitely be looking to appeal if possible.

Never mind, what's the attraction of SEO if you are already an AP?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭willthiswork

Ok got a reply from pas. I didn’t demonstrate in application sufficient examples of strategic management change and delivering results for this senior role.

Looks like they only want people who are already in an equivalent role.

Ok got a reply from pas. I didn’t demonstrate in application sufficient examples of strategic management change and delivering results for this senior role.

Looks like they only want people who are already in an equivalent role.

“Didn't demonstrate in applicationthe breadth & depth required in Strategic Management & Change andDelivering Results for this senior role”

Is what I got. Bit too samey? How about others?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 neilie22

Nerd Queen wrote: »

“Didn't demonstrate in applicationthe breadth & depth required in Strategic Management & Change andDelivering Results for this senior role”

Is what I got. Bit too samey? How about others?

I got the same comment but citing a different competence.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Kigera

Can anyone shed any light as to why they only shortlisted on 3 of the 4 Essential Requirements, i.e.

- Strategic Management and Change
    - Delivering Results
    - Delivering Results
    and did not look at the Personal Effectiveness?

In addition, it would appear they did not look at the Desirable Requirements;
    - Hold a degree level qualification
    - Excellent working knowledge of integrated financial management systems, including Agresso and Microsoft Excel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Dublincorkie

I just emailed them too. Will revert. For the people that got through, are you currently working in a local authority?

Yes I work in a local authority.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 sukisue

I was unsuccessful in the strategic management and change competency only. I am going to request a review as I think I can clearly show where I have displayed this. Implementing change is all over my form.

87 got through, wouldn’t say how many were existing local authority.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Bouncybouncy

87 got through, wouldn’t say how many were existing local authority.

Which would suggest on the basis that roughly half will be panelled that there will be only 45 vacancies in the whole country until the expiration of the panel. Does that seem plausible?

I’m not in any way familiar with the level of vacancies in that role. I’m in a rural location and I know that there are not many positions at that grade in my county, I have no idea if there are vacancies. I don’t think it’s comparable to AP as there are a much larger number of AP positions across the civil service.

This wouldn’t be the only competition for these positions, I’m sure there are internal comps too.

I think the struggle sometimes to get boards for these interviews and the number of boards available may drive to number they are willing to put through.

I just think it’s a bit ****e to run this long winded competition and then shortlist so few. I have the competences and experience for the role, as I’m sure many others here do also. I should have the opportunity to interview - fair enough if I don’t get the interview.

I think the competition is flawed if the most difficult part is to get an interview and the easiest part is to pass the interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭passinginterest

AP is the Civil Service equivalent to SEO so no reason for you to move I would suggest?

Main consideration would be location and a slight broadening of horizons, albeit in a similar/equivalent roll. SDCC would be walking distance for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Word is that SDCC have 4 vacant SEO posts to be filled.

Best of luck to the 87. Fingers crossed for the rest and if we get called for Stage 3 this year or if ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Bouncybouncy

For those of you who got through did they say when the interviews will be held?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Dublincorkie

For those of you who got through did they say when the interviews will be held?

Week beginning 26th March.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Moggaman

I’m not in any way familiar with the level of vacancies in that role. I’m in a rural location and I know that there are not many positions at that grade in my county, I have no idea if there are vacancies. I don’t think it’s comparable to AP as there are a much larger number of AP positions across the civil service.

This wouldn’t be the only competition for these positions, I’m sure there are internal comps too.

I think the struggle sometimes to get boards for these interviews and the number of boards available may drive to number they are willing to put through.

I just think it’s a bit ****e to run this long winded competition and then shortlist so few. I have the competences and experience for the role, as I’m sure many others here do also. I should have the opportunity to interview - fair enough if I don’t get the interview.

I think the competition is flawed if the most difficult part is to get an interview and the easiest part is to pass the interview.

Many of us who are well down the order of merit have been saying that for a while now.'flawed'

• Advertisement

Didn’t bother appealing but disgusted with the process. Best of luck to all who got through and those that are appealing

• Registered Users Posts: 6 monreaghlad

I take it from the previous posts that PAS have shortlisted those who have passed the psychometric test, does anyone know how many was put forward for shortlisting - was it the top 200 or 300?

Why have they changed from the SE process when they just interviewed the top 100 baseef on the psychometric tes results, and I’m not saying I agreed with that process, but I’m surprised they have changed as all posts were advertised as one.

Thsnks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭tungsten

Evidence from the last large colume campaign shows SE were in the minority hence first 100. SEO twice the size so reasonable to call first 200

• Registered Users Posts: 6 monreaghlad

tungsten wrote: »
    Evidence from the last large colume campaign shows SE were in the minority hence first 100. SEO twice the size so reasonable to call first 200

Thanks,

That makes sense when you consider the number of applications but in the case of the SEs, they did not shortlist at all they just took the top 100 based in the Physometric tests.

I see - i wasn't aware the SE wasn't shortlisted. Possibly because they realised a large bulk of applicants were from the wider Civil Service getting some cut-e practice!

How are people getting on at the SEO interview?
    I believe they started this week....Best of Luck

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Murraymint81

External Candidate - had interview this week, don't think it went well - really tested my local authority knowledge i.e. spent approx 10 minutes delving into what I knew (or not) - thought it was a little unfair as the marks are meant to be allocated on competency and the time spent on each competency was rushed by comparison.

Anyway happy I was shortlisted - from the postings on this thread I was lucky to be shortlisted.

I think results due end of April.

When do people expect to hear results?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 sheep0106

Still no results.

• Advertisement

The longest endurance test in the world ha. I’d imagine it’s to do with posts nationally for different LA’s & cross check with those who have made panel.

Advertisement