Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Person rings our land-line then immediately puts down the phone when we answer

• 30-05-2017 12:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭

As title says, they do it on a continuous basis. I know who they are. My elderly dad, 82, answered the phone and this happened today.
    Mental illness is evident in the "caller".
    What can I do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

They dont say anything? how can you know its mental illness?

You could blow a whistle into the phone - a friend had to do that when they were getting calls. Or get your home phone number changed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Ciderswigger

If you know who they are then why not report them? Write down all the times they call and hang up and take it to the Gardai.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

If you know who they are then why not report them? Write down all the times they call and hang up and take it to the Gardai.

there's already a batting order against this person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

5rtytry56 wrote: »

Go to the Gardai and report it so, then see can Eir change the home number

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

5rtytry56 wrote: »

You know who it is so - report them to the Gardai.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

....... wrote: »
    Get rid of the land line - who needs one these days?

My grand parents need their landline, they wouldn't go near a mobile, I'd imagine a lot of people of a certain generation would feel the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Depending on the phone you may be able to block the number (or all private numbers if they hide it).

If the phone itself doesn't support it there are things you can get to do it. e.g. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cheeta-Guardian-Blocker-Blacklist-Private/dp/B06Y5PVV5B/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1496246736&sr=8-11&keywords=phone+caller+id+block

I've never used them but it should be possible to find a decent one

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Can you not get those caller ID things anymore? They display the callers number when they ring? We had one years ago.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,927 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

If there's a barring order against this person and they're making nuisance phone calls, then you need to report that to the Gardai because they're in breach of the order.

• Advertisement

Not so simple, Toots. My dad's love for his (adult)child is having a bearing here. Not in a little way either.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,927 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Hmm well that complicates things. What sort of handset does the phone have? Is there an option on it to block certain numbers? I know my parents have an option on their landline that they can set it so that certain numbers won't make it ring - they usually use it for those scam numbers that ring you and try to tell you there's a virus on your computer.

GingerLily wrote: »
    My grand parents need their landline, they wouldn't go near a mobile, I'd imagine a lot of people of a certain generation would feel the same.
    That's the way Dad is going. Didn't see your post until now. He hates mobiles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Are the phone calls upsetting your father? Or is it just you who's bothered by them?

Advertisement