Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Stone Roses - Belfast, SSE Arena, 13th June

Options
  • 30-05-2017 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭

I'm surprised there isn't already a thread about this! Does anyone know who the support is for the gig?

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,061 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057518309

No support announced yet.

Heres details of the official after party - https://www.facebook.com/events/302273106813557/

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

I've seen a lot of bands live but Stone Roses were the worst! Awful live band imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Pink11 wrote: »
    I've seen a lot of bands live but Stone Roses were the worst! Awful live band imo.

Brilliant live band let down by ropey vocals.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭RolandGoose

Where did you see them?

I seen the reunion show in the Phoenix Park and thought it was very poor, sloppy music and Ian was all over the place, cringe inducing at times.

However I decided to give them another chance and pop along to the Marlay Park gig last year, which was absolutely brilliant. The band were solid all night and Ian sang a blinder. Fantastic gig, the only gripe is the sound mix was noticeably guitar light for the first 4 or 5 songs.

Indoors is always better and I hope the band are in good form in Belfast for all those going, enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,465 ✭✭✭finbarrk

That Phoenix Park gig was a right mess of a thing. I'd say indoors should be much better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,410 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

saw them in the Etihad Stadium in Manchester last summer and really enjoyed it. Although Ian Browns vocals are terrible live (vocal style suites records much better) the rest of the band were on fire and the atmosphere was electric

There a but unusual as they didnt release an album in years (only a few tracks) and didnt release a live DVD in ages too

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

Oh absoutely, it was the venues letting them down. Saw them in Marley Park and Phoenix Park - both shocking and awful. Ian Brown's voice is shot to pieces. I hated the Marley Park gig last year!!!

It completely turned me off them to be honest & I always 'credit' them as being the worst live band & biggest disapointment I've ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 philderbeast

Roses are one of my favourite bands but I can't justify seeing them again. First gig I saw them in Manchester at Heaton Park, 2012, the first comeback gig and they were great. Went to the Ethiad & Marlay park gigs last year and personally thought both was poor. Brown has the potential of a good gig in him but sadly only produces this once in blue moon. Can't fault the rest of the bands performance (Squire especially is immense) but the overall sound quality was way off whether it was bad mixing or what, I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,061 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Oh absoutely, it was the venues letting them down. Saw them in Marley Park and Phoenix Park - both shocking and awful. Ian Brown's voice is shot to pieces. I hated the Marley Park gig last year!!!

It completely turned me off them to be honest & I always 'credit' them as being the worst live band & biggest disapointment I've ever seen.

You should check out their Madison Square Garden gig from last summer on youtube. Ian sounded decent and the rest were excellent that night.

• Advertisement

The SSE have mentioned that they didn't think there was a support act as this was a warm up gig before the bigger shows following on :( It even says, "Plus Special Guests" on the ticket! If the doors are at 6:30, what time do you reckon The Roses will be onstage?

The SSE Arena have posted to say that the Stone Roses will be on at 8:30.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

Heading to The SSE Arena, Belfast for The Stone Roses?
    Please note the following IMPORTANT information:
    - Doors 6.30pm
    - Support from DJ Phil and DJ Mek
    - Stage Time 8.30pm
    - There will be extra security measures in place so please leave extra time

So, the, "Plus Special Guests" are two sh1tty DJs. What a let down...and a bit of a rip off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭ryaner777

Anyone make the trip up through the traffic and road closures early, currently sitting on a bus in Banbridge and its not looking good.

Any idea how long its taking to get through ??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭recyclops

ryaner777 wrote: »
    Anyone make the trip up through the traffic and road closures early, currently sitting on a bus in Banbridge and its not looking good.

Any idea how long its taking to get through ??

Left dub at 3 30. Got stuck for near an hour. As we were driving ourselves could detour. Only just arrived up.

recyclops wrote: »
    Left dub at 3 30. Got stuck for near an hour. As we were driving ourselves could detour. Only just arrived up.

Cheers about 15 mins away from Belfast now. Have to make it across from bus station. Hopefully just about make the start.

They were amazing! What a brilliant gig :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Penfailed wrote: »
    They were amazing! What a brilliant gig :D

Great to hear, can't wait for Saturday :D

Great gig last night and thought the venue really suited them. They sounded 100 times better than Marlay and phoenix park. Squire was incredible. His little swagger and quiet confidence in himself is great to see. Mani looked a little tired towards the end of the gig but Reni' drumming was intense.

Can they close the roof for the Wembley gig ?

• Advertisement

Great gig last night and thought the venue really suited them. They sounded 100 times better than Marlay and phoenix park. Squire was incredible. His little swagger and quiet confidence in himself is great to see. Mani looked a little tired towards the end of the gig but Reni' drumming was intense.

No, only the seats are covered in the event of rain.

Looks like it's gonna be brilliant weather on Saturday though, 28 degrees at the highest.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

They were fantastic, really smashed it, Squire is an absolute genius and I thought musically they were tight as a gnats bits; IB has a mediocre voice at best but he is a total legend, swaggering around throwing his maracas to the crowd. Made a big effor to get over to Belfast for an indoor show and so glad that I did, going again on Saturday but don't expect it to replicate the SSE atmosphere in a stadium

Pretty sure Wembley doesn't have a roof to close, so lots of sun block will be required

• Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭recyclops

Wembley roof can be closed and they really should, waited to see them a while indoor and was a completely different experience and hopefully one they can emulate on saturday

Yeah, was my first time seeing them indoors and it was completely different. would the sse and the 3arena be about the same size capacity wise ?

recyclops wrote: »
    Wembley roof can be closed and they really should, waited to see them a while indoor and was a completely different experience and hopefully one they can emulate on saturday

Only partly, the pitch will still be uncovered.

Doubt it would emulate an indoor show.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

https://help.wembleystadium.com/support/solutions/articles/9000000140-does-the-roof-close-will-i-get-wet-if-it-rains-

Looks pretty open to me, but hopefully it will be better than the sound at croke park etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

"Don't be sad it's over, be happy that it happened" Ian Brown. Hampden Park Glasgow tonight, confirming it's the last ever Stone Roses gig

Seeing them in Phoenix Park and Marley and now have the regret of not going Belfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

I don't see that as any confirmation at all. I would've thought he was talking about the concert being over.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,410 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

but1er wrote: »
    "Don't be sad it's over, be happy that it happened" Ian Brown. Hampden Park Glasgow tonight, confirming it's the last ever Stone Roses gig

Seeing them in Phoenix Park and Marley and now have the regret of not going Belfast.

maybe he didnt mean it that way and its simply you just talking about that show in general ??

but if it is im happy i saw them in Manchester last year and it could just been a mutual decision and want to go out on a high. Hopefully we will get a new live DVD release. I still love the Made in Stone Movie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Suas11 wrote: »
    I don't see that as any confirmation at all. I would've thought he was talking about the concert being over.

Yeah, it's a bit ambiguous. Think they had planned to hit the studio after this "tour".

Have seen them three times since the reformation but didn't manage a show this year. What was the interaction on stage like? They seemed all loved up in Heaton Park in 2012 but a bit distant in Marlay Park last year.

Advertisement