Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Military Show

Options
  • 30-05-2017 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭

Saw the signs for this around the place.

Worth going to? Is it is expensive to enter? Can't seem to find a website

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

No website just Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/wexfordmilitaryshow/

Last year price was €10 Adults and €5 children.

Haven't been to been to the show so can't say what it is like

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Went myself several years ago on a fine summer's day when it was in Duncannon and it was decent. Have heard its been in major decline since, especially after the move to the race course.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

It used to be an annual pilgrimage for my family to vist this show in Duncannon . When it moved to the racecourse that put a stop to that for us. In all fairness it would have made more sense to hold the Military show in Curracloe and use Ballinesker beach as the backdrop to the main event
    " Storming the Beach" . If it was good enough for saving Private Ryan then its surely good enough for the military show.
    We now visit Normandy and the real Omaha beach every June. Its a must visit for real die hard WW2 fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Navarre wrote: »
    it was an annual pilgrimage for my family to vist this show in Duncannon over the last few years. When it moved to the racecourse that put a stop to that for us. In all fairness it would have made more sense to hold the Military show in Curracloe and use Ballinesker beach as the backdrop to the main event " storming the Beach" . If it was good enough for saving Private Ryan then it surely good enough for the military show. We now visit Normandy and the real Omaha beach every June. Its a must vist for real die hard WW2 fans.

A certain group of locals don't want anything to do with Saving Private Ryan out there not sure what the full story is but there have been plans and proposals objected to and refused

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

Navarre wrote: »
    It used to be an annual pilgrimage for my family to vist this show in Duncannon . When it moved to the racecourse that put a stop to that for us. In all fairness it would have made more sense to hold the Military show in Curracloe and use Ballinesker beach as the backdrop to the main event
    " Storming the Beach" . If it was good enough for saving Private Ryan then its surely good enough for the military show.
    We now visit Normandy and the real Omaha beach every June. Its a must visit for real die hard WW2 fans.

So... not worth visiting at the race course?

I'll be honest, we just want to see a tank!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

ezra_ wrote: »
    So... not worth visiting at the race course?

I'll be honest, we just want to see a tank!

You should go and enjoy the Tanks and other Machines that are there.
    We used to go Duncannon for the main event which was the reenactment of the D-day landings. Went to the racecourse the 1st time it was there and we just didnt enjoy it at all. I have spoken to other enthusiasts and some of them have said the same its not as good as when it was in Duncannon. We head to Normandy France each year now for the reenactments and visit all the different sites. I would highly recommend it,
    here is a vid of there https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APA0B0le1Vg 1min 27 secs in the vid is Point De Hoc. its like the surface of the moon with all the craters on it. If anyone is considering going to Normandy to vist all the WW2 sites and villages then i suggest that yous look at the movie... The Longest Day and get familiar with the towns and battles that took place.

Advertisement