Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any advice on Maximum Import Capacity for a new build?

Options
  • 30-05-2017 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭

I'm filling out the form for a new connection and it's asking for the 3 phase MIC.

It's going to be 3 phase for a 200m² restaurant.

As the build is still in planning I have not put out the job so I don't have an electrician yet.

Obviously, the person that takes the restaurant will do the electrical work but I would like to have the right supply in place to start with.

Is there set jumps like the domestic market 8, 12, 16kva etc or does it work differently?

Any advice on going for bigger or smaller kVA?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

As the build is still in planning I have not put out the job so I don't have an electrician yet.

This is an engineers job imo. You'll have to fill out a design element of the application

Your question is difficult as it's missing information.
    Anything above 500 KVA would usually require MV

CIBSE rules of thumb for a restaurant would be in and around 500 Watts to 1500 W per M.sq with the higher end being for fast food.

It's late but I think that's the figures.

If there was gas there for cooking and heating that would reduce it. You could be looking at min 100,000 VA or higher, that's why you need to know the types of load you have and if there is gas etc.
    You need to look into it a bit more. You can always ask for a bit more and adjust in 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭pauldavis123

Bit more info, There is going to be a 185mm? cable going to the building, so that seems fairly lumpy if my house has 16mm??

Can I get a low MIC now and let them bump it up to the capacity they want (whatever that may be) later?

What's the lowest 3 phase? 36kVA?

You can apply for an upgrade, however if it's not available you will be stuck. Sometimes better to go a little higher and drop down.

I could reverse engineer the 185.sq cable but I don't want to. Not because I dont want to do something for nothing, but because it's not the right approach, it's good to know alright

The advice I have above stands as do the ranges so you'd need to do a little bit of work on the Potential load in the building , the cookers, cooling ,heating is there gas etc. It's not a big job, but the rules of thumb I gave you stand you haven't provided any new information to direct us any closer to the requirement.

You are well covered with a 4*185.sq cable though but as mentioned didn't get caught up in this.

BTW at 36kva devide that by 200 it's less than 200 W/Sq that's well below the average range for that type of building. An office building with AC would be in or around 80-90 W/M.sq kitchens can be heavy loads unless it's a salad bar with a BYOB policy you might be stuck.

The penalties for using more that you have secured will most likely cancel out any upfront​ saving in going for 36kva now

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭pauldavis123

Great info, I have to fill out the supply request form now. I'm putting in 15kVA for each of the upstairs floors.

There will be gas as well so if its 500w x 200 meters that's 100kW.

Is 100kVA a band they do or is there set levels they do like in the residential market (12, 16 kVA)?

Send me your Paypal email, I'll send you the price of a couple of pints for this info, you have been so helpful :)

Send me your Paypal email, I'll send you the price of a couple of pints for this info, you have been so helpful

No you are fine we never do that and its not allowed we all ask questions here it's how it works

• Advertisement

There are no real sets for commercial loadings. There are fuse sizes but they want a guess at what you'll use not necessarily what to fuse it at, that's a result rather than a Target

You could allow for something at the bottom of the scale I gave you and call the ESB.

Are you the client? They will advise you directly.

If not and it's a new build no meter will be fitted without an end user.

Something like 80 kva might be ok again it depends on the cooking methods really

• Registered Users Posts: 12,471 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Just on the finance
    If I recall correctly, upscaling the MIC is free if capacity is available but downscaling the MIC costs so the balance is lower fixed MIC costs versus MIC breaches penalties.
    Check this aspect out if not too late, and also see what MIC is available.

I also know that they might try stick you with increasing the MIC available, unlikely maybe for 200m2 but they are cunning...
    As Stoner said, you need an energy demand calc by energy source

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Advertisement