Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What can be done here?

Options
  • 30-05-2017 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭

Hi, just looking for some advice on what I could possibly do with the side portion of my parents house. I made raised beds for them years ago but they've fallen into disuse, home for a week now and just wondering what I can do to make the area more sightly. Spent the day at it with a strimmer and cut vegetation over a foot high down to what you can see in the photos attached.

Photo taken at 2 o clock today so I suppose that's the max amount of sunlight the area receives. Low maintenance vegetation of any kind would be ideal, even just good green grass just looking to improve the appearance of the area.. Have about a half tonne of topsoil and 2 bags of compost at my disposal at the minute but could buy whatever is needed. Photos attached. Any help hugely appreciated.

lkjDmvU.jpg
    ayHfsLv.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

just one comment on the raised beds - did you add soil to them? usually raised bed would imply that the soil level itself had been raised.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

Thanks for the reply, to be honest it was about 4 years ago but as I remember the soil level was about half way up the planks, so a bit higher than it is now but not much.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Would you pave the area and just have some large pots of flowers and maybe a seat?

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭jomalone14

looksee wrote: »
    Would you pave the area and just have some large pots of flowers and maybe a seat?

I must say that's what I'd do. Are your parents gardeners?Will you be back to the same scenario again in a couple of years? Looks nice and sheltered, paving and pots would be a lovely idea and it's done!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

The guys above are right.
    Think "courtyard garden" for that space.

Maybe stack the timbers three high and make one ultra raised bed with alpine s etc covered in deco gravel and it would be low maintenance.

• Advertisement
Advertisement