Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle Ring of Kerry

Options
  • 30-05-2017 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I intend to cycle the ring of Kerry this August, not part of the organised race, just me and a friend gong for a spin. Can anyone recommend a good place to start? We'll be travelling up from Dublin and intend to do it over 2 days so need accommodation about half way around, again recommendations would be greatly appreciated as well as any tips and advice. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭okane1

Start in Killarney. Stay the night in Sneem

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Yep. Sneem hotel is very cyclist friendly. Was the base for R?s na mBan for a good few years, hosted a stage of the R?s Tailteann last year. Lovely place too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

What's the road like traffic wise when there isn't a sportive on? The Ring of Beara last week has me itching to try the next ring up but I'm not paying the over-inflated ROK entry price.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭dogsears

fat bloke wrote: »
    Yep. Sneem hotel is very cyclist friendly. Was the base for R?s na mBan for a good few years, hosted a stage of the R?s Tailteann last year. Lovely place too.

Owned by Louis Moriarty I think - erstwhile organiser of Ras na mBan, father of Louise Moriarty (twice winner), and cyclist of note in his own right in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭okane1

P_1 wrote: »
    What's the road like traffic wise when there isn't a sportive on? The Ring of Beara last week has me itching to try the next ring up but I'm not paying the over-inflated ROK entry price.

Traffic fine in the morning. Did it last year on a standard July weekend and was surprised by the low volumes of traffic. As the day goes on the traffic does build

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 FowlerAD

Thanks for all the thoughts. Waterville seems to be a half way mark, worth pitching up there?

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭ustazjoseph

FowlerAD wrote: »
    Thanks for all the thoughts. Waterville seems to be a half way mark, worth pitching up there?
    waterville is fine - lots of tourists lots of buses! very pretty wee town though.
    the whole route is quiet enough but be aware a huge fleet of buses leaves killarney every morning to " do the ring" they often lead to are part of traffic tail backs. the route is killarney killorglin. caherciveen waterville etc. tou ll be facing the the first big climb after your breakfast and have another Molls for your afternoon . enjoy . ( id suggest spending time in killorglin but Im very biased !)
    enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭ciaeim

Base yourself in Killorglin it's much more relaxed and cheaper than killarney. And stay in sneem on the way around ring of kerry. One climb first day ( coomakista) and molls gap on second day.

Advertisement