Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it legal to record a conversation in work.

Options
  • 30-05-2017 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi there,
    Is it legal to record a conversation at work that is going to be about me. I have been working in a place for 5 years and since a new guy started, there has been a clear push to get me out the door in the last month - a buddy of the manager. I overheard them saying they'll have a chat when he gets back on how to "get her the boot".

The guy is back tomorrow and they are meeting. Is it legal to record the conversation because I know they are going to bring me up again?

I fear for my job. Please help. I will probably speak to a legal professional if people are saying it is ok.

Regards,
    Tony

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Creol1

A solicitor once told me I could secretly record a meeting, transcribe the recording, and ask the management if the transcript represented the meeting. If they said no, the recording would be there to back me up. This was in the context of a formal disciplinary meeting, rather than overhearing someone else's meeting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Op, only one party needs to give consent to record a conversation (Garda McCabes phone calls are a prime example of this), however, if you are not party to the conversation then there is no consent to record it. You can't leave recording devices around your office to record other people's private conversations when you are not one of the people participating in the conversation, that would be creepy and probably illegal.

If you are given the boot you can bring a case under the UDA but you will not be able to use a covert recording of s conversation you were not part of, in fact recording colleagues private conversations in itself may be a cause for disciplinary action, your employer could not record your private conversations without making you aware of the recording if your employer was not part of the conversation.

Check the bold type in the fourth paragraph:

http://www.dolores-maxwell.com/audio_recording_comments.php

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/q-a-what-are-the-legal-implications-1.1740070?mode=amp

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭skallywag

OP, do you mean covertly recording a meeting which you are not part of?

You most certainly cannot do this, and I would imagine that doing so would most likely be grounds for immediate dismissal without question.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks all, will just forget about it and hope for the best. Already looking for a new job but i'll probably have to move to Cork or Limerick.

Advertisement