Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring of Kerry

Options
  • 30-05-2017 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,735 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys
    I'm off to Kerry in July, im heading to a wedding in Dingle for two nights and then plan on driving with the OH to Killarney as I really want to drive the ring of Kerry, I'll get to Killarney late afternoon so that day is a write off, but the next morning we plan on getting up early and driving the ring,
    Now my question is should we stop half way and stay somewhere or just drive it all in one day and make the loop back to Killarney ?
    We have an extra day so we could easily stop and spend that night somewhere around the loop or would we get it all in one day ?  anyone have any recommendations on the best way to see it and if we should stop ,if so are there any nice towns or places to stay ,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

With the right weather the Ring is a great drive - fantastic scenery. In July it will be very busy, especially with buses, so the more time you can give it and the more time you can spend off the main route itself the better. Kells Bay and Glenbeigh are well worth a small detour. After Cahirsiveen you could take the ferry out to Knightstown and see some of Valentia, leave the island at the bridge at Portmagee and do the "Skellig Ring" out to the Glen and Ballinskelligs before you rejoin the main Ring at Waterville. (Don't miss the chocolate factory in the Glen!!) Derrynane and Castlecove etc are beautiful places with plenty of scope for walks, especially if you're doing it in 2 days. Staigue Fort is a great spot too but it's a bit of a way up a narrow road.... so you'd need to think a little about it.
    Sneem and Kenmare are both beautiful - and you have the choice of getting back to Killarney via Molls Gap (expect traffic chaos) or via Kilgarvan and the main Cork road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Stay somewhere out the penninsula. Enjoy the feeling of remoteness and village life. After dinner have walk on the beach and a pint watching the sunset/rain clouds.
    Otherwise you'll feel under pressure to get back to Killarney and won't be inclined to take a detour or dawdle when something catches your attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Aimeee

Cycle on 1st July so would avoid on that day if possible, though probably ok in the afternoon when all gone through. Killarney will be super busy with a good buzz around the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,735 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Thanks for all the info guys, Would any one recommend a town in particularoin the peninsula which would be good to stay ?
    Also which is the best way to go , clock wise or Anti clock wise

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭JonathonS

Definitely take the two days, one day is just a long drive, very little time to get out and explore. I would do it clockwise - no buses to overtake, you are closer to the sea views, and pulling in/out of parking is easier. Stay in Portmagee if you can - pubs and restaurants withing walking distance, and a nice place to stroll after dinner. Good choices in Waterville also. lottpaul's suggestions are all good - Kells bay Gardens now has a rope bridge!
    On day 2 once you get to Killorglin the trip is over, not much to see after that.

• Advertisement

JonathonS wrote: »
    Definitely take the two days, one day is just a long drive, very little time to get out and explore. I would do it clockwise - no buses to overtake, you are closer to the sea views, and pulling in/out of parking is easier. Stay in Portmagee if you can - pubs and restaurants withing walking distance, and a nice place to stroll after dinner. Good choices in Waterville also. lottpaul's suggestions are all good - Kells bay Gardens now has a rope bridge!
    On day 2 once you get to Killorglin the trip is over, not much to see after that.
    is the gap of dunloe worth seeing ?

If you into Irish history you could also go off track a little bit and visit Derrynane house (home of Daniel O Connell). Nice beach and gardens there too. Derrynanehouse.com. Won't take long to do the house especially if you giving yourself two days. Have a great trip and hope you get glorious days weatherwise.

Hey guys
     would you stay a night in waterville or portmagee  can't decide which

Portmagee would be my choice. It's lovely at night. Valentia accross the water if you decide to visit. Beautiful walk in Valentia if weather good.
    Moorings in Portmagee good for food & probably music that night. Tubs there tomorrow morning I think? (Or was it this morning, I'm sure it'll bs on podcast if so).
    Edit: Geokaun mountain (geokaun.com). There is short & long version. If you caught for time & weather decent do the short to medium walk for views out accross the Atlantic. It will fill your soul! Path not a mountain as such so no special equipment required apart from comfy shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Portmagee trumps Waterville.
    But I'd probably select Caherdaniel personally - for the beach and Derrynane nearby. I agree with recommendation for Daniel O'C 's house. Great piece of heritage. (Well done OPW.)

Gap of Dunloe is lovely but you're not going to be short of stunning scenery. If you choose to drive through the Gap, I suggest: go early in the day or evening time to avoid jarvies(sp?) and walkers. (There's something not right about imposing vehicle traffic on the Gap.) Even better - park up and walk it.
    Access route from the south is long-ish, twisty and narrow. It may mean you miss Moll's Gap to Killarney which is a very scenic route too.

• Advertisement

In one day you'll do the Ring...but you'll have to drive through or by Killarney National Park, Kenmare, Sneem, Staigue Fort, Derrynane Beach, Waterville, the Ballinskelligs Ring, Valentia Island etc. etc. and not really stop to take in any place. The Gap of Dunloe is stunning, very dramatic scenery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Any reason you want to stay in Killarney? - Quite packed and overly touristy and coming from Dingle a bit of a waste of time.

I'd suggest stay in Glenbeigh (Towers Hotel) for 1st night and then this would be my itinery

Kells Bay House & Gardens (15 min from Glenbeigh) - fab gardens and with Ireland's longest rope bridge (just opened). They also have guest rooms but usually fully booked in summer.

Cahirciveen (15 min from Kells Bay) - Cahergall Stone Fort is fairly cool. + Old Barracks http://www.oldbarrackscahersiveen.com/

Then take the ferry from Cahirciveen (500m outside the town and takes 5 min) to Valentia. http://www.valentiaisland.ie/

At other end of Valentia go over the bridge to Portmagee and maybe stay the night. http://www.portmagee.ie/

Next morning, after a brisk walk :) - head to Skelligs chocolate factory for coffee and chocs, (15 min from Portmagee, but fab viewing points on the way) and onwards to ballinskelligs (stunning beach + castle ruin) - If you are there on a Sunday there's a great market with music.

Then towards Waterville (15-20 min from Ballinskelligs) - nothing much to see there really, so it will be a drive-through visit but the Centra has great ice creams :) and then on to Caherdaniel / Derrynane and stupendous views and stunning sandy beaches and birthplace of Daniel O'Connell. Well worth a couple of hours hanging about.

Then onwards to Sneem - sleepy village. Kellys Bakery has fab cafe food - its not cheap, but its real good.

Then you can either head to Kenmare and onwards to Killarney, but the better route would be the R568 from Sneem to Molls gap and onwards into Killarney as Sneem to Kenmare is fairly boring and Kenmare itself, whilst a fab town, is not anything special.

Thanks for all the idea guys,
    I think ill skip going to Killarney from Dingle it seems like a waste and out of the way

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Cahirciveen (15 min from Kells Bay) - Cahergall Stone Fort is fairly cool. + Old Barracks http://www.oldbarrackscahersiveen.com/
    Then you can either head to Kenmare and onwards to Killarney, but the better route would be the R568 from Sneem to Molls gap and onwards into Killarney as Sneem to Kenmare is fairly boring and Kenmare itself, whilst a fab town, is not anything special.

(i) You'd have someone stop in Cahersiveen...but not Kenmare? There is a reason one has a couple of 5 star hotels, has won the Tidy Towns a few times and is a tourist Mecca...and the other is Cahersiveen.

(ii) Kelly's Bakery is indeed famous. Check out Tripadvisor. My favourite is the one where the owner decides he wanted the salami for himself, or the one where he told the people not to visit that part of the country again!

https://www.tripadvisor.ie/Restaurant_Review-g211918-d3428257-Reviews-Kelly_s_Bakery-Sneem_County_Kerry.html

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭JonathonS

Most of the suggestions above are excellent, but your decision on direction of travel is an important one. Kenmare is prettier than Cahersiveen, but neither town is worth stopping in (except to eat) when there is so much else to see and do.

(i) You'd have someone stop in Cahersiveen...but not Kenmare? There is a reason one has a couple of 5 star hotels, has won the Tidy Towns a few times and is a tourist Mecca...and the other is Cahersiveen.

(ii) Kelly's Bakery is indeed famous. Check out Tripadvisor. My favourite is the one where the owner decides he wanted the salami for himself, or the one where he told the people not to visit that part of the country again!

https://www.tripadvisor.ie/Restaurant_Review-g211918-d3428257-Reviews-Kelly_s_Bakery-Sneem_County_Kerry.html

Considering that Cahirciveen is on the road between Glenbeigh and Valentia, its worth going to the stone fort about 2 iles outside and worth checking the barracks.

I can't see where I mentioned any stopping in the town for any other attractions as its simply the market town for the area. But the little French Cafe a few doors from AIB bake the finest croissants / pastries I know of.

Similarly Kenmare - Its a town, a very nice town, and well known for hotels and food with superb restaurants - but I don't think the OP was looking for hotels. the drive from sneem to Killareny via the R568 is amazing and would be a better option than Kenmare for the OP. If the OP is a foodie, then Kenmare is the Kinsale of Kerry.

Kellys - I read tripadvisor with a pinch of salt. Full of whiners. My own experience (I have stayed in Sneem on 4 occasions in last 2 years) is that the food is super and worth the little extra. The scones in particular are yum. But food is always subjective. I would agree that they don't fawn over customers, but frankly I like it that way.

If you're travelling clockwise, just be careful about busses approaching and swinging out over the white line, the twists and turns make it inevitable. The Moll's Gap road between Killarney and Kenmare is one of the most stunning stretches in the country, and is pretty much a must as part of the Ring (doing the Ring and missing the drive through the National Park and the Lakes is missing one of the best areas) but between Torc and Ladies View this is a standard problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭amdaley28

Some things in Caherciveen not mentioned.
    The birth place of Daniel O'Connell is actually a small stone cottage ruin just as you enter Caherciveen from Kells direction on the left hand side.
    The church in Caherciveen is the only church in Ireland named after a lay person Daniel O'Connell.
    As well as the French Cafe already mentioned there is also Camos  opposite the church & Cafesiveen both on the main street in Caherciveen where you can get some very nice food which is reasonable in price. K & T Bakery a few doors up from Camos restaurant bake fresh bread & cakes every day on the premises. Don't ask how I know :angel:
    If you need a good selection of newspapers, magazines or books check out Quirkes Newsagents just a few doors down from Cafesiveen.
    Have a great trip, take your time & enjoy the wonderful scenery.

amdaley28 wrote: »
    If you need a good selection of newspapers, magazines or books check out Quirkes Newsagents just a few doors down from Cafesiveen.

Forgot this - if you are a reader, ask Colman for a recommendation based on previous books you have read. He'll never disappoint.

He doesn't stock a huge selection of books, but the selection he stocks is very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭paddyref

My wife is doing the ROK and I'm looking for some where to watch the Lions v All Blacks game in Killarney, any suggestions please?

• Advertisement
Advertisement