Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Silent Laptop

Options
  • 30-05-2017 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,321 ✭✭✭

I require a silent laptop with an i7 (non U model) and at least 16gb of ram,ssd and as many usb ports as possible

it needs to be portable to that rules out a desktop
    it need to be as silent as possible as it will be used in a sound sensitive environment

anyone have any recommendations?

budget around 2k

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

MacBook Pro?

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭minitrue

i7 non-U is 45W so I'm virtually certain you won't find a silent (fanless) laptop with one of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,321 ✭✭✭dunworth1

minitrue wrote: »
    i7 non-U is 45W so I'm virtually certain you won't find a silent (fanless) laptop with one of those.

it doesn't need to be fan less just as quiet as possible a slight hum is fine but a powerful whirring wouldn't be as it could ruin the test

MacBook Pro?

it needs to be windows based

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

The new Surface Pro comes completely fanless, has an i7 variant, portable and has stayed with USB rather than the C. I haven't looked into pricing though it is probably eye popping but I presume around your 2k budget.

• Advertisement

The new Surface Pro comes completely fanless, has an i7 variant, portable and has stayed with USB rather than the C. I haven't looked into pricing though it is probably eye popping but I presume around your 2k budget.

i have looked into the surface but the lack of usb ports are a killer
    i require as many as possible at least 4 on the unit

dunworth1 wrote: »
    i have looked into the surface but the lack of usb ports are a killer
    i require as many as possible at least 4 on the unit

Connecting a USB hub not an option?

Connecting a USB hub not an option?

i will need to connect 4 or so hubs as i will need to connect 26 usb devices

which is why i would prefer to only have one hub per usb port on the laptop
    rather than daisy chaining them

I think you are really gonna struggle to find a portable with 4 USB connections. Some of the Dell's might have that option although I am not sure how quiet they would run. Maybe worth ringing them, they may even be able to customize something for you but I guess that is gonna come at a cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

How portable does it need to be? If you want something quiet I would be looking at the largest laptops you can find, as they will have more grille space, fans or larger fans. The fans shouldnt spin up as much.

• Advertisement

Lu Tze wrote: »
    How portable does it need to be? If you want something quiet I would be looking at the largest laptops you can find, as they will have more grille space, fans or larger fans. The fans shouldnt spin up as much.

it doesn't need to be very portable it'll be taken off site maybe once every couple of weeks

looking a big ones isnt a bad idea actually

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

It might be helpful if you describe your use case for the machine, maybe there's something else we could suggest if we had a better idea of how it's going to be used.

Oh OK I thought you were looking for a portable laptop. In that case you should more look into 'mobile workstations'. Plenty of options in that range and while I have used them I have never bought one so no point giving advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

i7 Surface pro fan-less (the new one?) I was pretty sure only the M3 and i5s where.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Wcool

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Wcool wrote: »

That Shuttle DH170 looks cool, and it has 8x USB ports.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

QuietPC Sentinel Fanless

Could be an option; would emit no noise at all if you go for 1-2x SSDs and no disc drive.

Advertisement