Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spruce or Pine Sleepers

Options
  • 30-05-2017 6:29pm

I'm building our patio area and have decided upon a sleeper border. The border will be two sleepers high on their edge. One sleeper will have its back against the surrounding soil.

I can get both spruce or pine for around the same price. Both are pressure treated. Which do you think would be the better buy that would
    a) last longer
    b) look better?

Thanks

Edit....have I just asked a silly question?? Are they the same thing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

The only sleepers I've used are Pine and Oak.

The usual sleeper is Pine. There's great lasting in a good sleeper.
    I hung wooden gates here off Oak sleepers. They are a good sleeper too but a bit brittle to work with.
    I don't know which would last longer, there's fair lasting in either. For your job, bar you examine them closely they'll both look the same.

You should be able to buy a good sleeper for about €20. I think rough crooked ones suitable for fencing can be got for €15 or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Pine slightly redder in colour than spruce, and more resin in the timber, making it more durable outdoors.

recedite wrote: »
    Pine slightly redder in colour than spruce, and more resin in the timber, making it more durable outdoors.

Feck...Ive ordered the Spruce!!! Would there be much in it durability wise?

Spruce sleepers cost me €17 a piece

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Ah well, if they are both tanalised or pressure treated there won't be much difference in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

Put creosote subsitute on the sleepers, where they sit on / near soil. Will prolong them

• Advertisement
Advertisement