Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Appealing district court decision

• 30-05-2017 6:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hello,
    I am in court this day next week ( district, criminal ) and I know the judge is going to find me guilty for a driving offence which could end up in a custodial sentence.

I plan on appealing this straight away, so my real question is can a judge disallow me to walk out of court after appealing? Or is it my right to appeal and pay bail to walk?

I would much rather this be heard in the circuit appeal court as the judge is known to be extremely unfair.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

talk to your solicitor asap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 stee293

I have a solicitor, just a very brief chat with him today but now it's playing on my mind.
    I can't find anywhere online that the judge HAS to fix bail.
    I know I have the right to appeal, but do I have the right to walk out that day? ( Cash and surety at the ready ) or can he point blank refuse and send me to prison on remand pending appeal? Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

It's usually at the whim of the Judge whether or not to allow you bail to appeal but they take each case as they find it. If you have some previous he may deny you that appeal in which case you'd have to apply to the High Court for bail (via Prison) which may take a week or two to sort out.

Talk to a local solicitor would be the best advice as they'd be more in tune with how a local Judge is likely to sway.

Taking Naas as an example, the Judge can be known as unfair but in reality if people are straight up with him and don't try any BS I've found him to be fairly reasonable. Bear in mind that everyone has an excuse but every Judge has heard each one a thousand times. Dress well, don't be cocky (in fact do your best to appear nervous!!) and respect the court and Judge. Judges tend to like people that face up to their responsibilities so don't try some ridiculous BS defence no matter how plausible it might sound to yourself.

Again....... talk to a solicitor if you really think there is a chance of jail time.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Mod
    Solicitor time
    Good luck
    Closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement