Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgraded from regular to fibre broadband today - no real speed difference

Options
  • 30-05-2017 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭

Today I upgraded from regular broadband to fibre broadband with Eir. We used to get download speeds of 8mbps with the regular broadband. Today we are getting 10 maybe 11mbps with the fibre. When we signed up we were told we could get speeds "up to" 50mbps. We live 500meters from the cabinet so I never thought we would get the 50, but expected at least 20mbps. 

The technician arrived, changed the modem and phone socket, made a call to his colleague did a few things on the iPad and then said he was finished and left. I was under the impression the cables coming into the house would need to have been replaced?

Does going from 8mb on old broadband to 10.5mb on fibre sound right? We currently (and previously get upload speeds of under 1mbps.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 807 ✭✭✭eir: Anna

Hi Maz2016,

Thanks for getting in touch and I'm sorry to hear this.

Fibre to the cabinet is speeds of up to 100Mbit depending on your line capability and we would not change the cabling going to your home for this as the fibre to the cabinet is run on fibre optic cabling from the exchange to the cabinet and not to your home I'm afraid.

I would recommend contacting our technical support team and troubleshooting the issues you are experiencing. You can contact them on 1890 260 260 or freephone 1901.

Thanks,
    Anna

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

OP using wifi for speedtest is not valid. Do a proper test using cable.

Advertisement