Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to connect smartphone to dumb TV for streaming?

• 30-05-2017 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭

I have a Sony Bravia KDL 32E55, must be about 6 years old.
    Inputs are HDMI, video, optical, USB for photos, LAN for DLNA-compatible devices (whatever that is)

The phone is a Galaxy S7 Edge.
    So, with no wifi or internet connectivity on the TV I'd like to use the phone to stream to the TV.

How is that done? I see various devices on Amazon, some wired, some wireless, and the Kindle Fire (although I think that uses Alexa that eavesdrops on your conversations). Looks like a wireless HDMI connector and something plugged into the phone microUSB might do it Any advice?

TIA
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ianob7

Get yourself a chromecast! They're about 35-40 euros in most places. Once you've got wifi in your house you're good to go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,586 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Chromecast would do it, needs a wifi connection in the house though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

Chromecast would do it, needs a wifi connection in the house though.

Hijacking thread here..If you used a second smartphone as wifi hotspot, would movies stream at same speed as they do on mobile phone itself, or would there be more of a lag as its 'jumping' via chromecast to the tv . ie if my internet speed on mobile is good enough to stream via youtubr, does this guarantee that will play on TV with similar performance using chromecast.
    Also would ye recommend Android box or Chromecast??

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Sysmod

That was a quick response! Thank you ianob7 and Atlantic Dawn (the ship??)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,586 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

seefin wrote: »
    Hijacking thread here..If you used a second smartphone as wifi hotspot, would movies stream at same speed as they do on mobile phone itself, or would there be more of a lag as its 'jumping' via chromecast to the tv . ie if my internet speed on mobile is good enough to stream via youtubr, does this guarantee that will play on TV with similar performance using chromecast.
    Also would ye recommend Android box or Chromecast??

I would think it would struggle, particularly if it's HD video, I think it would be technically possible but I'd be expecting issues like sound out of sync with picture on the Chromecast having to go through 2 devices.

I'd spend ?50 on an Android box before I would spend ?40 on a Chromecast, far more flexibility with an Android box.

• Advertisement

I'd spend ?50 on an Android box before I would spend ?40 on a Chromecast, far more flexibility with an Android box.

There seems to be a lot of shops and importers doing them. Prices from 66 ( incl delivery) to 200 or so. Finding material must be awkward using a remote without a physical or touchscreen keyboard which a smartphone has.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,814 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Sysmod wrote: »
    There seems to be a lot of shops and importers doing them. Prices from 66 ( incl delivery) to 200 or so. Finding material must be awkward using a remote without a physical or touchscreen keyboard which a smartphone has.

You can buy a Bluetooth keyboard for Android boxes. I got mine for 12 euro off amazon.

Thanks lertsnim. What about these: although I've never heard of these sellers:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Globmall-Wireless-Keyboard-X1-Bluetooth/dp/B06XPBRPKS
    #1 Best Seller in Video Players & Recorders
    GBP 39.99, c 46 euro Sold by Globmall

Or GBP 51 for ABOX A1 Plus Smart Android 6.0 TV BOX with 2GB RAM Amlogic S905X Quad Core A53 processor 64 bits. Sold by GooBang Doo UK

So I could search youtube.com, type in the performance I wanted, and just play it?

Advertisement