Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Console to PC!

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

Are yiz trying to scare the OP off? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Ha, nah just get a bit interested in the in depth stuff. :D

I reckon the best build would be the one I popped up in post #22, gave some decent low cost peripherals last night so they should be about good to go. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 lDontKnow9990

Billy86 wrote: »
    Ha, nah just get a bit interested in the in depth stuff. :D

I reckon the best build would be the one I popped up in post #22, gave some decent low cost peripherals last night so they should be about good to go. :)

I'll more than likely base my build on what you posted but change the PC Tower I'm looking here on Amazon and there's a mid tower from Corsair and another from NZXT would a mid tower suffice for the build?

Ah yeah, cases are largely subjective - just has to be the same as the motherboard. So long as the case is listed as atx or Matx you're grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

Hi Op WEelcome to the master race it'll take some time getting used to a mouse and keyboard but the responsivness is awesome and the graphics will make you gush. :D

Billy86 wrote: »
    On a 1600 most likely yeah, but that would push the OP's budget further up again especially as higher frequency RAM would be required. A 1500 vs an i5 7500 is apparently pretty much a wash, tiny edge to the i5 for gaming and a small edge to the 1500x for versatility.

Best to check with the OP, but I get the impression they're looking to use the PC as a much stronger version of a console with all the other advantages of PC gaming, rather than for any kind of editing, rendering etc.

Actually though, this could well work:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor (£198.94 @ CCL Computers)
    Motherboard: ASRock - AB350M-HDV Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (£64.38 @ CCL Computers)
    Memory: Kingston - Savage 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2800 Memory (£67.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Storage: PNY - CS1311 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£39.47 @ Amazon UK)
    Storage: Seagate - BarraCuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£41.75 @ Amazon UK)
    Video Card: Asus - Radeon RX 480 4GB Dual Video Card (£177.23 @ BT Shop)
    Power Supply: EVGA - 430W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply (£39.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Other: Assorted peripherals (£50.00)
    Other: Budget case (£23.00)
    Total: £702.75
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-05-31 13:47 BST+0100

£702 = €803... + potentially €12 due to Parcel Motel if the non Amazon retailers don't do Irish delivery (as best I know they all do free UK delivery, so just 3.95 per item for P.Motel) = €815. If a wifi adapter is required, that's all all-in total of roughly €835 (Amazon do some for just under £15).

Doesn't have the nice 480GB SSD but a 1600 would be an upgrade over an i5 whereas 7500 vs 1500X is essentially a wash in terms of a gaming PC. That's a really good price on an RX 480 too, comes out to €203.

EDIT: Just got priced €12 on a wifi USB in Dublin, for what it's worth.
    Mickeroo wrote: »
    I think Billy's build will serve you well, would be no harm spending a little bit more to get an 8GB RX480 or RX580 rather than the 4gb though.

Both these guys have given some great advice.

As a ryzen use my advice would be, buy one granted the fps may not be leading the way like intel,

However it's smoother then butter to play on. I would say your better off with a Ryzen rig long term I think as 4k consoles come into play game developers need to utilize more cores,

granted a year a go we all be say something very different but right now build for the future go Ryzen.

Amd have ben fantastic with drivers updated regularly

• Advertisement

Just a few quick questions lads to finalize things, if I decide to start the build sooner than I had planned ( within the next month ) as Billy had suggested with the build posted on Page 1 is it possible that everyone agrees on it so I can have at least a definite build for my first PC?! I know all of you have different opinions on what I should/shouldn't get and respect that but bare in mind as I'm new to the PC World the tech talk about certain components goes right over my head.

The main reason why I'm switching would be to play Rainbow Six Siege and Battlegrounds as I'm young enough I want to experience it sooner rather than later. @Billy can your build suggestion run R6S on ultra setting's​?

Again more questions, sorry! But with regards to a monitor would a 60HZ monitor do for temporary use as I have one already! And most importantly sound, as you may know if you play Rainbow Six sound is crucial so I would need a headset, currently I have the Steelseries Siberia 800 would they be grand connected up to the PC or what should I be looking at with regards to sound/headset?

This isn't as daunting as I thought it may be so thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Billy's build is sound, you should be 100% at 1080p60fps for a good 2-3 years before you need to worry about running games.

Can't speak for RS6 but you'll get very close to max settings I'd imagine.

60fps is fine, anyone who tells you its not is kidding themselves. Hell 30fps is fine, just not optimal. Or welcome.

Your Steelseries will work with the PC, there's 3.5mm headphone and mic ports on the back.

Billy's build is sound, you should be 100% at 1080p60fps for a good 2-3 years before you need to worry about running games.

60fps is fine, anyone who tells you its not is kidding themselves. Hell 30fps is fine, just not optimal. Or welcome.

Your Steelseries will work with the PC, there's 3.5mm headphone and mic ports on the back.

Thanks, appreciate it man!

Yup, you'll run games at High or Ultra with 60fps no problem so your 60hz monitor is fine. You'll be blown away how much better the experience compared to games running on a console. Also remember, no more paying for online play. That's more money that you'll save in the long run plus games are a lot cheaper on PC with the likes of Steam, gog.com and cdkeys.com. As i posted, i only built my first rig last month and i've hardly touched my PS4 and Xbox since.

Yup, you'll run games at High or Ultra with 60fps no problem so your 60hz monitor is fine. You'll be blown away how much better the experience compared to games running on a console. Also remember, no more paying for online play. That's more money that you'll save in the long run plus games are a lot cheaper on PC with the likes of Steam, gog.com and cdkeys.com. As i posted, i only built my first rig last month and i've hardly touched my PS4 and Xbox since.

I should have no problems connecting the PC wirelessly should I?

• Advertisement

Once you get a Network Adapter for your PC then nope. I bought and installed the following in mine.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-TL-WDN4800-Wireless-Express-Antennas/dp/B007GMPZ0A/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&qid=1496265625&sr=8-18&keywords=network+adapter

You just put it in one of the PCI slots in your motherboard and install the adapters software.

Once you get a Network Adapter for your PC then nope. I bought and installed the following in mine.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-TL-WDN4800-Wireless-Express-Antennas/dp/B007GMPZ0A/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&qid=1496265625&sr=8-18&keywords=network+adapter

You just put it in one of the PCI slots in your motherboard and install the adapters software.
    Perfect cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

People can and do notice 60FPS + you only really know though unless you do. My personal sweet spot is >50FPS but it should be noted other people's milage will vary. I assume coming from console (30FPS with significant lag) you should be fine.

Just some quick googling - not sure about the source credibility.

Also with Ryzen being so sensitive to memory speed I'm dubious of single channel (single stick) set ups so I'd go for a 2 stick kit personally unless the selected motherboard has only 2 slots.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,241 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Another option is homeplugs, I got these: http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5488311/Trail/searchtext%3ETP+LINKS.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

People can and do notice 60FPS + you only really know though unless you do. My personal sweet spot is >50FPS but it should be noted other people's milage will vary. I assume coming from console (30FPS with significant lag) you should be fine.

Oh I'm not disputing that 90, 120 or 144hz are wastes, just that 60hz is still a fine standard imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Depends on the games you play as well. Something like Battlefield 1 on consoles isn't bad, visually or framerate wise.

Then games like Fallout 4 and Witcher 3 are horrendous, sometimes dropping to 20fps.
    Lads, what's the story with the hate for the i5? The pc i built is only being used for gaming and the usual youtube, surfing, etc and it runs all the games i have at ultra and it doesn't drop frames at all. It wipes the floor with any console version of any game i've played so far. Is it because i have a GTX 1070 8gb card or what?

Problem with the i5 is that in some CPU heavy games it will heavily bottleneck a GTX1070, Battlefield 1 being a prime example - in that game, an i7 or Ryzen is far more beneficial a match. It's rare at the moment, but it does happen, and we can only assume over the coming years that will continue to be the case as newer games are released.

At the moment, though, broadly speaking, the i5 is still a better CPU for gaming in the vast majority of games than the equivalent Ryzen but for how long depends on how soon games start using more cores. Some games at the moment still perform better on 6th gen i3 than Ryzen simply because Intel's performance per core is still superior.

Ryzen is a better prospect on paper right now though and assuming a builder wants to keep the core system unaltered for a fair few years, it's a logical recommendation. Unlike Intel though, overclocking and the fastest ram possible is almost essential for Ryzen to get the most out of the best value parts and most commonly recommended.

Pretty much this, and if you can't find one a USB wifi adapter does fine - got one for €12 yesterday and I've furiously been downloading the games I bought (it's a gift for someone else) at about 4mbps so you get decent speeds. Didn't expect it to be so easy - just plugged it in and up popped the internet options. They cost a bit less, though the PCI ones have the advantage of being in the motherboard so one less USB slot taken up.

---

Re fps - I would be about the same, anywhere about maybe 48 and I can't see the difference personally. Not to say it isn't there, just it varies per person and for me it is unnoticeable. The only way I can usually tell if I am at 48-50 for 60+ is the little yellow FPS counter in the top corner I turned on on Steam a few weeks ago.

Also high/ultra - there's good as no difference quite often I find. Reddit had a very interesting thread on this a while ago and in a lot of more recent games, there really is not discernable difference. A note to OP - console graphics if I am right would usually come out at about medium on a PC, just to give a point of reference.

That said, at 1080 a Ryzen 1600/RX 580 should be able to clear just about anything at 55-60+ fps on ultra, pretty sure the RX 580 is the best GPU you can get out of this generation apart from the 1070/1080/1080 TI which are really all geared to 1440p or 4K. I have a GTX 970 and have zero issues (even on Arkham Knight that I've been playing through, bad port and all) and never seem to drop below 50fps, the RX 580 scores a good deal better than the 970 on user benchmark - http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-970-vs-AMD-RX-580/2577vs3923

---

And on game prices... Doom - €11, Borderlands 2 - €7, Arkham City & Knight - €5 each, Alan Wake - €2.80, Witcher GOTY - €25, Mass Effect Trilogy (not Andromeda) - €8, Bioshock Infinite - €6, Alien Isolation with all DLC - €7, Saints row 4 - €7, Saints row 2 - free, Tomb raider (2013) - €5, Mad Max - €4, Outlast - €6.

Quick idea of the ridiculous amount of money you can save on PC games... I think I have about 4 that cost me €100 combined, and another 35 or so on my Steam library that cost me maybe €100 between the lot of them.

Agreed about the FPS. Most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference with high frame rates but when you are coming from console believe me the difference in how games run and play is very noticeable. Some games run at 60fps on console and look great but when you can run all your games at 60 then you'll be well chuffed.

Agreed about the FPS. Most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference with high frame rates but when you are coming from console believe me the difference in how games run and play is very noticeable. Some games run at 60fps on console and look great but when you can run all your games at 60 then you'll be well chuffed.

Oh I know, was out of gaming altogether for a good 5-6 years (realistically more 7-8) myself - hence all the 3-5 year old titles at the end of my post :D - but got back into it when an old housemate bought a PS4 and some games like Star Wars Battlefront and Fallout 4... the differences are pretty staggering. Not least of all the never-ending Fallout 4 load screens on consoles!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,241 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Yeah I'm the same, I play Overwatch at 144fps and I switched back to the xbox out of curiosity to see if the 60fps was noticeable and it wasn't for me. What was noticeable was how clunky the game felt with a controller though.

Similarly playing PU Battlegrounds my fps varies from between 50-60 up 120fps and I probably wouldn't realise but for I have an fps counter on screen. If it drops close to 30 the difference is very noticeable though.

• Advertisement

OP. Any more progress on your build?

Advertisement