Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank Teller counted out wrong amount

Options
  • 30-05-2017 9:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭

I take out a substantial amount of money last Friday from the bank and the money is counted out in front of me (although I wasn't taking much notice). I went paying someone Monday with it and was short. The money wasn't touched over the weekend. The bank refuses to even entertain the idea that I was short changed. Been with the bank over the decades and have never any issue.

So once I leave the counter is that it if I've been short-changed ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Four Phucs Ache

I take out a substantial amount of money last Friday from the bank and the money is counted out in front of me (although I wasn't taking much notice). I went paying someone Monday with it and was short. The money wasn't touched over the weekend. The bank refuses to even entertain the idea that I was short changed. Been with the bank over the decades and have never any issue.

What do you mean won't entertain the issue? As in have they investigated?

Happened to me 2 years ago.Got a few grand in 20s but when I got home it was 140 short.Rang up and they had to wait until the end of the day to balance the tills.They were surplus the 140 and it went into a holding account as uncounted for.Collected it the following day with no fuss and an apology.It happens.

Not being nosy but you said substantial cash amount.Did you buy something private like a car etc?

Did you watch the person you were paying count it?

Go back to the branch and ask where the tills balanced.Unfortunately I think the receipt does state to count your money before you leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭frostypants

What do you mean won't entertain the issue? As in have they investigated?

Happened to me 2 years ago.Got a few grand in 20s but when I got home it was 140 short.Rang up and they had to wait until the end of the day to balance the tills.They were surplus the 140 and it went into a holding account as uncounted for.Collected it the following day with no fuss and an apology.It happens.

Not being nosy but you said substantial cash amount.Did you buy something private like a car etc?

Did you watch the person you were paying count it?

Go back to the branch and ask where the tills balanced.Unfortunately I think the receipt does state to count your money before you leave.

Wasn't a car. I counted the money and was a couple hundred sort. Went back twice and they couldn't find anything wrong their side. I was 100% short changed that is for sure. Nothing I can do now but live and learn. Just thought they would have measures in place just in case this happened

• Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Wasn't a car. I counted the money and was a couple hundred sort. Went back twice and they couldn't find anything wrong their side. I was 100% short changed that is for sure. Nothing I can do now but live and learn. Just thought they would have measures in place just in case this happened

You went back twice and they couldn't find anything wrong. i.e your assertion is the teller stole it.

Do you think a teller would risk going to jail and losing their job for a few hundred.?

Anyone can count the money in front of the teller and also the tills are balanced and also their is cameras all over the teller area.

Have you considered you lost it

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tracey turnblad

If you were short changed it would show up when they balanced the drawer or the safes unless something else was at play here. The year of the change over from the euro I did an express lodgement in a bank. At the time the way they did the express lodgement was to put the money in an envelope and write your bank details on the outside and throw it into a hatch. My money was never lodged and I only found out when ford finance rang me to say my car payment hadn't gone through. I rang the bank and like you they dismissed me. I rang a couple of times and eventually they agreed a meeting with me. When I went to the meeting I asked had they checked camera footage they said they had none. They tried explaining to me that two people took the money in and it was written in a book and dual signed and there was dual accountability all the way. I explained how I worked in a cash office and we also had 'dual accountability' but often trusted each other enough just to sign something the other had written. He said that they would get back to me. I received a cheque a few days later without predjudice. It wasn't much it was €170 but I didn't have a spare €170 to pay again and I had put that money in a hatch and they had not taken care of it. Ask for a meeting with the bank. Ask do they have cameras? Did the cashier count the money out in front of you? I always count it with them when they count out money. If they didn't count it out maybe footage might show this and there could be an alternative motive for this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

The OP states himself that he didn't pay 'much notice' when the teller counted it.
    Then he doesn't count it until a few days later.
    No one to blame but himself methinks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tracey turnblad

Ok just skimmed through the post.... OP how do you know you didn't lose any on they way home? Or someone that lives with you didn't dip it?

listermint wrote: »

You went back twice and they couldn't find anything wrong. i.e your assertion is the teller stole it.

Do you think a teller would risk going to jail and losing their job for a few hundred.?

Anyone can count the money in front of the teller and also the tills are balanced and also their is cameras all over the teller area.

Have you considered you lost it
    I didn't assert this at all - i.e your assertion is the teller stole it.
    And I didn't lose it as I put it into a tin until I needed it

So go way with your ****e

Leave it at that cause only getting smart answers here. Unfollowed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Kareana

Hi,

Thank you for your post.

We are sorry to hear this.

Please be assured all checks and procedures are strictly in place for cash handling.

If you wish to log a formal complaint please see the link here.

Thanks

Kareana

So once I leave the counter is that it if I've been short-changed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Four Phucs Ache

Sorry if my post seemed smart.It was just quizzical.

Was your account debited correctly? As in you ask for 3300 but teller only debited 3100?

• Advertisement

Sorry if my post seemed smart.It was just quizzical.

Was your account debited correctly? As in you ask for 3300 but teller only debited 3100?
    Almost exactly yes. I will make a complaint like Kareana said above

Advertisement