Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT retest. Failing something that passed on first test

• 30-05-2017 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

Just wondering if anybody knows or has experience with NCT retests.

I failed the NCT on Monday due to headlight alignment. Fixed it and booked in for the re-test two days later on Wednesday morning. Problem is this, was driving home this evening and a dashboard light came on. It's to do with a wheel speed sensor. Tried disconnecting battery and fuses to see if it resets but no such look.

The re-test is first thing tomorrow morning so don't have time to get and replace the sensor.

So my question is this, does any one know if I can be failed on something that wasn't flagged the first time round or will they just check the headlight alignment and not care about anything else.

Thanks in advance.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,051 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

What dashboard warning light is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

they will just check what it failed on first time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

dbs103 wrote: »
    Just wondering if anybody knows or has experience with NCT retests.

I failed the NCT on Monday due to headlight alignment. Fixed it and booked in for the re-test two days later on Wednesday morning. Problem is this, was driving home this evening and a dashboard light came on. It's to do with a wheel speed sensor. Tried disconnecting battery and fuses to see if it resets but no such look.

The re-test is first thing tomorrow morning so don't have time to get and replace the sensor.

So my question is this, does any one know if I can be failed on something that wasn't flagged the first time round or will they just check the headlight alignment and not care about anything else.

Thanks in advance.

May vary but mine failed on CV boot and that's all he checked car done in 9 mins from drive off to park up.

If its a fail and noticed it will fail but may be OK if not emissions based or safety issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It can fail on something new during retest.
    Usually they just check what it failed on first time but a warning light might just give you a new fail.

I don't think there is anything specific about this in the manual.

Tbh, it comes down to if the light is a fail in itself, or just an advisory item.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭dbs103

It's two lights. The DSC light and brake fluid level (I think) lights, both yellow. It's on an e46, have tried everything to I've read online but no luck.

Anything I've read is either people saying they'll only test what failed the last time, the headlight alignment, and then the other half saying if they notice something new they can also fail it on that. Pretty hard not to notice two yellow lights on the dash though.

• Advertisement

From what I've read in the NCT manual it's a fail for dash lights for stability control, ABS etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

dbs103 wrote: »
    The re-test is first thing tomorrow morning so don't have time to get and replace the sensor

You can't do much about it, so just go with the flow.

Report back, bit I would say you'll be grand.

Again to the manual, section 60
    ITEM
    Malfunction indicator for Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) airbags, electronic stability control (ESC), antilock brake system (ABS), electronic braking system (EBS), parking brake, tyre pressure monitoring systems (TPMS), electronic power steering (EPS), or brake fluid warning lamp.

ITEM REASONS FOR FAILURE
    1 Not working or indicates a defect in the relevant system.
    Possible fail but then again you never know until after the test..

Good luck either way :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,678 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Depends who you meet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭GerryDerpy

My car failed on a worn ball joint driver side. I replaced it and returned 3 days later for retest. They failed the retest on worn ball joint passenger side!

Now the passenger side ball joint was worn so I had no argument regarding changing it and retesting. But I complained officially because they missed it first time and thereby it would cost me 28 Euro extra for second retest, whereas if first tester spotted it I would have only one retest.

They agreed and waived the fee for the second retest.

In saying all that, your fault is new. My faults were present at first test and just missed.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the replies. I'll just keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best. Will report back after the test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭nd

There's a good chance it's lose wiring/connector to the abs sensor. if you've time this morning you could check them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

headlight aim is a matter of running through the machine again, so it will fail on the new fault I think.

Were it a visual like the CV boot, you'd be OK. I'd postpone , you have 28 days to re-test I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

I think it would be a fail due to the warning lights that are on, DSC and brake fluid could be serious faults and any warning light like this would warrant a fail.

As the "mechanic" will be getting into your car to move it to where they test the headlights he most likely see the warning lights and has to fail it.

Have you searched for anyway to turn the lights off? I had a BMW before and faulty wiring in the brake pad level sensor turned these lights on. I was able to get it to turn off, google it!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

biko wrote: »
    It can fail on something new during retest.

Whilst this does happen from time to time strictly speaking it can't.

You can only be failed on something you are actually being tested on and legally the NCT can only test what failed the first time, not additional items, forget the NCT manual, this is written into law.

Therefore they can't legally fail you for something which passed the first time even if it is a safety issue. Sometimes the NCT need little reminders of their statutory duties.

An update for anyone that's interested. The car passed. It gets (a tiny bit) more interesting though.

DSC and handbrake warning light both on all the way to the test. Put the car through and got it back 10 minutes later with a cert and nothing even said about the warning lights. Got into the car and turned it on, no more warning lights. Drove away and roughly 2 miles down the road there was a beep and the two lights turn back on.

Now, I've no idea if the lights were on during the re-test and they just ignored them as it wasn't a previous fail or I just got very very lucky and the lights turned off for the duration of the test.

Guess I'll never know...

P.S. I've checked all the obvious things like wires etc think I'll get a cheap INPA lead off ebay and it should hopefully be able to tell me the exact fault, save me swapping out sensors and the likes till I find the faulty one.

Thanks for updating.
    Maybe Jesus thought he'd give you a break today :D

About the brake light, for some cars this will come on if the brake fluid is low so check that level just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Great news OP

Maybe, whoever it was I'll take the blessing from them.

I was tempted to go back in and ask if the lights were on as I'd like to know for future reference or if anyone else is in a similar situation. Decided against it though.

Most of the topics on this seem to be about failing on another part of the re-test. For example, someone fails due to some suspension problem and they get that fixed and during the suspension retest another suspension problem shows up. I couldn't find anything on failing a re-test due to completely unrelated items already passed being failed the second time.

Advertisement