Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broken laptop screen. How do I retrieve my files?

Options
  • 30-05-2017 10:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭

Hi.

I've had this battered old laptop for years and have all my important files and what not on it. Finally seems to have come to its last legs. Screws got loose and being a stubborn prick I went moving things for some reason the entire screen is pitch black now. Honestly it is gone beyond repair at this stage and I have no problem retiring it. However it does contain a tonne of data that I do want and need.

It's password protected as expected, so how would I go about retrieving my files? I am going to buy an external hard drive but without any screen showing me what I am doing I have no idea how to transfer files. I am a complete novice when it comes to this sort of stuff. Would greatly appreciate any help.

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If you have something that looks like this on your laptop, you can connect up a monitor to it.
    vga.jpg?x73577

• Registered Users Posts: 82,650 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Simplest option would be if you have a monitor or TV with HDMI slots it may be able to connect to either the HDMI slot if it's a relatively new laptop from the last 3 yeaars or so. If the laptop is older than that it will have an old style monitor connection so you will need an oldish monitor too.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Mean Laqueefa

Burial. wrote: »
    Hi.

I've had this battered old laptop for years and have all my important files and what not on it. Finally seems to have come to its last legs. Screws got loose and being a stubborn prick I went moving things for some reason the entire screen is pitch black now. Honestly it is gone beyond repair at this stage and I have no problem retiring it. However it does contain a tonne of data that I do want and need.

It's password protected as expected, so how would I go about retrieving my files? I am going to buy an external hard drive but without any screen showing me what I am doing I have no idea how to transfer files. I am a complete novice when it comes to this sort of stuff. Would greatly appreciate any help.

Thanks!

if its old check for VGA port and connect to TV (may need a HDMI/VGA adapter) or just a hdmi port and switch TV source ....maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 14,385 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Has it got a hdmi or dsub port . If it has find a tv or monitor and cable and con net I it up. There should be a function key on the keyboard to switch between the built in screen and the monitor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

spurious wrote: »
    If you have something that looks like this on your laptop, you can connect up a monitor to it.
    vga.jpg?x73577

I've one of those alright! I presume I need a specific lead for it yes? If I connected it to a monitor would the screen automatically show up on the second monitor? I remember trying to use one before at a presentation and having to press some display buttons or something before it showed up. Wouldn't that be an issue as I can't see the screen?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭boogerballs

Hi.

Thanks!

Easiest way to do it is to plug an external monitor into it. If you have a old pc in the house unplug the monitor and plug it into the laptop.

If you don't you can buy a vga cable for about €10 from any computer supply shop like pc world and connect the laptop to your TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

It has a HDMI and a similar one to the picture spurious posted!

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭alane20

Could you not remove the hard drive and put it in a 3.5 inch caddy and connect as an external hard drive to another computer

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Mean Laqueefa

alane20 wrote: »
    Could you not remove the hard drive and put it in a 3.5 inch caddy and connect as an external hard drive to another computer

The KISS Principle. Keep it simple

• Registered Users Posts: 82,650 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It has a HDMI and a similar one to the picture spurious posted!

Just connect it to a tv with HDMI slot, should be plenty you have access to either your own or a friends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

I've one of those alright! I presume I need a specific lead for it yes? If I connected it to a monitor would the screen automatically show up on the second monitor? I remember trying to use one before at a presentation and having to press some display buttons or something before it showed up. Wouldn't that be an issue as I can't see the screen?!

Close the lid on your laptop and it will route the display through this port. Use a VGA cable to connect to a monitor/TV. You would also need an external keyboard/mouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

If it has hdmi there is a very good chance it will output to the external screen automatically. Try that first.

Advertisement