Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardai stopping pedestrians and cyclists breaking red lights today

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭plodder

jive wrote: »
    Cyclists break red lights more blatantly, motorists break lights more often; the double standard is hilarious online where people crib about cyclists. It's alright though, similar to food dropped on the floor, you've a few seconds after the light goes red in which to just blaze on through.

Red light cameras would make a world of difference, even just random enforcement as seen in the OP. Speed vans on the same roads at the same times aren't much of a deterrent for anything only stopping speeding on a 500m stretch of road in the proximity of the van.
    They definitely have them in Belfast and presumably other UK cities. I was in a taxi up there a year or two ago, and the driver pointed out a motorist "clipping" a red light. "He'll be getting a ticket in the post" was all he said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

What? :confused:

If a garda stops you because s/he thinks you've broken a traffic law, "See you in court!" isn't an adequate or polite response. They're just doing their job, even if you don't agree with their interpretation of the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

newport2 wrote: »
    They should put cameras on the busiest traffic lights, with a snapshot of the car's registration taken for every car that breaks it. The problem would pretty much disappear overnight once the fines start arriving in the post. And I say this as primarily a motorist. Too many drivers take amber as a signal to accelerate. If people know they will be fined each time they break a light, then they won't break them. Impossible for Garda to enforce this on a manual basis, they can't be everywhere all the time.

There's junction I cross every day to/from work (SE corner of Portobello bridge). At a very conservative estimate, 60% of the times I cross, at lesat one car eastbound along the canal comes sailing through the junction after the pedestrian light has gone green. Usually at fairly high speed since they've been accelerating to get across before the crossing traffic.
    Most recent example was the two eejits in a car, windows down, arm casually draped out the window, lazily drifting through well after the pedestrian green, car proudly emblazoned with 'Garda Traffic Corps'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

Chuchote wrote: »
    If a garda stops you because s/he thinks you've broken a traffic law, "See you in court!" isn't an adequate or polite response. They're just doing their job, even if you don't agree with their interpretation of the law.
    All they can do is take it to court. There's no FPN offence for a pedestrian.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

jive wrote: »
    It's alright though, similar to food dropped on the floor, you've a few seconds after the light goes red in which to just blaze on through.

Interesting analogy in that what alot of people think and what is the truth are far different. Once that food hits the floor, even for a second, it is not going to pick up much more if you leave it there for 5, 10 or 20 seconds, that sh1t is on the food and that is it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

fxotoole wrote: »
    They should be stopping drivers that break those lights as well. A few years back I was crossing at those lights. I had a green man so I was 100% entitled to cross there. A car came speeding towards me, and missed me by centimetres. I'd say he was doing about 60kph at the time. Idiot driver not paying attention to the road*

*I say this as a driver myself.

They were doing that last week.

Advertisement