Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFO Salthill

Options
  • 31-05-2017 12:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭

No i don't mean aliens, im not crazy

Did anyone see something weird fly over galway bay tonight? I was walking out to the lighthouse with the gf and saw something fly over the bay. It gained altitude, speed and brightness before disappearing suddenly. Very very little cloud cover tonight so was kind of weird. The gf saw it too so def not crazy.

Around 11.30/11.40

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Breaston Plants

gufc21 wrote: »

Did anyone see something weird fly over galway bay tonight? I was walking out to the lighthouse with the gf and saw something fly over the bay. It gained altitude, speed and brightness before disappearing suddenly. Very very little cloud cover tonight so was kind of weird. The gf saw it too so def not crazy.

A Chinese lantern.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭Guffy

A Chinese lantern.

I duno. It was big and moving pretty fast. Honestly thought it was a shooting star myself but seemed to be going up, not down.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,616 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Was there green and red lighthing on it?

There was a red light. Herself thought it was an astroid cause of the red and got a bit of shock cause of the speed. I thought i saw a Bright white light, seemed like there was two streams and the object may have been triangular in shape. In saying that it appeared and disappeared so fast i cant be certain. It was definitely way faster than a regular passenger plane... like much faster

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Thepillowman

Seen it here in East Clare around 11.45 myself & herself went wtf seemed to be very low as well.

• Advertisement

Seen it here in East Clare around 11.45 myself & herself went wtf seemed to be very low as well.

So now im def not crazy... yay..

Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,079 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Hail Ian's

So now im def not crazy... yay..

Any ideas?

Not a clue she reckoned it was a shooting star I said it was too low and it was traveling East West direction more or less horizontally until it disappeared . Traveling at some speed .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Has anyone checked the grass on Eyre Square?

The numerous posts on that topic may have attracted aliens' interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

Drone with camera & lights attached ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭ratracer

Salthill you say- They were probably looking for 'The Hangar' :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Bees flying in formation?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Around 11.30/11.40

Could it have been the International Space Station? It would fit with the times.

I noticed this post on Astronomy Ireland's fb
    Astronomy Ireland
    15 hrs ·
    May 30th. See the International Space Station at 11.41 near the Moon (especially between Listowel and New Ross) then climbing high in the South. Again at 1.19 am just above Jupiter

Could it have been the International Space Station? It would fit with the times.

I noticed this post on Astronomy Ireland's fb

Honestly don't know. We did see a second light about 10 min after that, it was much higher up and moving in a different direction. Attributed it to being a satellite of some sort. Tbh that being the space station would make more sense.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Honestly don't know. We did see a second light about 10 min after that, it was much higher up and moving in a different direction. Attributed it to being a satellite of some sort. Tbh that being the space station would make more sense.

Hmmm weird. I wonder what it was!
    Maybe ask in the astronomy section or on this facebook group . There are often "did anyone see..." posts on it and there are often interesting, informed answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭weshtawake

Green and Red lighting you say, in Salthill....hmmm Could be a Mayo reconnaissance drone prior to the upcoming Connacht Football match!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Psychlops

Possibly RESCUE115 out of Shannon Airport? Went direct over Galway City the other night at speed to Oughterard to perform night search for missing person.

Had all the lights on including the tail & under belly red anti-collision lights that were strobing. Her track on AIS also has her going directly over the lighthouse headed north.

Unless Rescue 115 has developed warp factor capabilities and a run silent mode it wasn't what we saw .Don't believe it was the ISS either.

Unless Rescue 115 has developed warp factor capabilities and a run silent mode it wasn't what we saw .Don't believe it was the ISS either.

But according to star trek one cannot enter warp within a planets atmospher..... i **** you not, this is what we were talking about last night :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

Wasn't that why the Government​ gave special permission to allow a group of UK fighters along the west coast last night?

Wasn't that why the Government​ gave special permission to allow a group of UK fighters along the west coast last night?

What do you think pillowman? Assumed it was a military plane tbh, given how fast it was, could it have been a fighter? I mean, im sure i saw a triangular shaped object with two jet propulsion exhausts ( quick google throws up a eurofighter typhoon)???

What do you think pillowman? Assumed it was a military plane tbh, given how fast it was, could it have been a fighter? I mean, im sure i saw a triangular shaped object with two jet propulsion exhausts ( quick google throws up a eurofighter typhoon)???
    Don't think so what we saw was like a ball of fire more than anything else going faster than any plane

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ciarrioch

It could have been a fireball. If there were other sightings then Astronomy Ireland will have reports. They can get a good idea of where it was closest to earth by tracking all the reported sightings. Very spectacular to see and, yes, they move really fast!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Psychlops

Source?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

Are we being trolled by Mayo?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Mephala

There was a bolide fireball seen over the UK about 2 weeks ago I think, so wouldn't be surprised if it was visible here as well.

Advertisement