Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can you freeze mortgage whilst trying to sell your house?

Options
  • 31-05-2017 1:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭

Was talking to a person lately ans he said he just put his house up fo sale and has froze his mortgage while its for sale through his solicitor.
    is this possible?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

crxsi09 wrote: »
    Was talking to a person lately ans he said he just put his house up fo sale and has froze his mortgage while its for sale through his solicitor.
    is this possible?

You really need to ask your mortgage provider, only they can answer that question. It's possible your friend unilaterally froze payments.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭allybhoy

Not with EBS anyway, i recently sold a property, rang them and told them we had gone sale agreed and contracts were signed, asked them to freeze the mortgage for the last month and offered to email over copies of signed contracts etc. They wouldnt entertain it at all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

allybhoy wrote: »
    Not with EBS anyway, i recently sold a property, rang them and told them we had gone sale agreed and contracts were signed, asked them to freeze the mortgage for the last month and offered to email over copies of signed contracts etc. They wouldnt entertain it at all

I can't see why anyone would expect them to freeze it to be honest.
    You take out a loan and you pay interest until it is paid back in full, very fair and simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭denismc

A lot of mortgage providers used to allow you to take a break from paying a mortgage for a couple months
    I am pretty sure this was in my last mortage although I never used it.
    Just don't tell them you are selling.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

A mortgage is a metaphysical object. How can it be frozen?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭jamesthepeach

AIB will do it. It's basically a payment holiday for up to three months after contracts are exchanged. The interest is added to the amount you owe up to the day it's cleared though, so it's not like it's free.

Advertisement