Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

False references

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

I would return nothing until I had tenants moved in and then deduct for everyday of lost rent caused by the previous "tenants" and for any additional rental costs.

And you would be rightfully sued.

This landlord signed agreements room deposited and after ages decided that after not getting a reference, to back out.

Contracts signed! End of story.

The only thing the landlord can do is refund fully and hope the tenants don't push the issue.

The tenants to be are the ones out of pocket looking for somewhere to live while this landlord is sitting on their cash with no intention of letting them stay in a place they have signed a lease for.

Some landlords belong behind bars.

I once rented a place in my less aware years and I mean this place was a health hazard. Should have been condemned. Same place is still being rented out. Ridiculous what some landlords are getting away with.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Bushmanpm

Return the deposit MINUS the cost of readvertising, checking the prospective tenants out and the cost of your time dealing with all the enquiries and doing the viewings. If the previous, would be tenants are unhappy
    1, let them take you to a small claims court
    2, don't give false references!

Mr.H wrote: »
    And you would be rightfully sued.

This landlord signed agreements room deposited and after ages decided that after not getting a reference, to back out.

The only thing the landlord can do is refund fully and hope the tenants don't push the issue.

The tenants to be are the ones out of pocket looking for somewhere to live while this landlord is sitting on their cash with no intention of letting them stay in a place they have signed a lease for.

Some landlords belong behind bars.

I once rented a place in my less aware years and I mean this place was a health hazard. Should have been condemned. Same place is still being rented out. Ridiculous what some landlords are getting away with.

Let them try and sue me I would look forward to seeing them pay my costs after I win on top of keeping the portion of the deposit I was entitled to.

Their lease means nothing when they have provided false documentation.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,098 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

If you cant find someone decent its because you charge too much or your place is not worth what your charging

is that not the same thing, and is it only fraudulent shysters that rent expensive apartments?
    I myself have giving fake references to get a flat generally my mother and she will answer and talk the talk ... Your basically holding them up from looking for another flat by withholding their deposit ... If it was my deposit you wouldn't still have it in your pocket .. Anything for a free buck eh screw the poor why not

screw the poor? whats all this then?

why do you need your mother to give references for flats if you lived in other ones before??

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

This is everything that is wrong with the rental market in this country.
    The lying tenants? Yup. I wonder if they even have jobs! Heck, the OP could be down a few thousand when he tries to evict them for non-payment of rent!

The would be tenants signed the contracts. You assumed the landlord also signed the contracts, but this is not stated anywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Bushmanpm

I myself have giving fake references to get a flat generally my mother and she will answer and talk the talk ... Your basically holding them up from looking for another flat by withholding their deposit ... If it was my deposit you wouldn't still have it in your pocket .. Anything for a free buck eh screw the poor why not

It is fraud. Pure and simple.
    How would some of the posters here feel if say, a banker was trying to commit fraud against them to gain access to their assets that could be worth hundreds of thousands of euro?
    But, y'know "Grrr, evil landlords",

You damn well are entitled to withhold money to cover your costs, if nothing else they deserve to be taught a lesson for their antics.

Really? You absolutely sure about that? Legally?
    They signed a tenancy agreement, maybe he should be forced to let them move in, it's a legal document I'm sure.
    And they deserve to be taught a lesson? Why?

Their lease means nothing when they have provided false documentation.

Does it though?
    And a made up letter isn't really documents.
    A fake reference is never going to be prosecuted as a 'false document'

• Registered Users Posts: 20,098 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

bubblypop wrote: »
    Does it though?
    And a made up letter isn't really documents.
    A fake reference is never going to be prosecuted as a 'false document'

a made up letter isnt documents and a fake reference is never going to be prosecuted as a false document?

what nonsense is this

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

it's a legal document I'm sure.
    ?

You shouldn't be so sure. It was procured by fraud and so unenforceable. The o/p is entitled to avoid it.

• Advertisement

Do you have any idea why they gave false references OP?
    Are they working at all? Do they work somewhere else?
    Did you think they seemed OK when you decided to rent to them?

Cyrus wrote: »
    a made up letter isnt documents and a fake reference is never going to be prosecuted as a false document?

what nonsense is this

Can you see this being prosecuted by Gardai in court?
    Possible tenant makes up a work reference letter?
    Please!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

I actually don't get this work reference thing anyway. A lot of jobs wouldn't give someone a reference for renting purely because they don't know each individual who works for them personally so why should they?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

pilly wrote: »
    I actually don't get this work reference thing anyway. A lot of jobs wouldn't give someone a reference for renting purely because they don't know each individual who works for them personally so why should they?
    Work reference = proof you can pay the rent each month. Also proof that you're not on RA.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

corelon wrote: »
    Does anyone know what I should do with the deposit as now i have an unrented flat due to these guys?

Personally, I'd just give them the deposit back and tell them you won't be proceeding with the tenancy.

Consider it a lucky escape on your part and get on with finding new tenants.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

the_syco wrote: »
    Work reference = proof you can pay the rent each month. Also proof that you're not on RA.

Which is discrimination so the OP should tread carefully....

the_syco wrote:

So what if your employer won't give you one?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭hanna200

i believe it could have been an actual letter: so-called proof of employment.
    Alternatively it could have been 'old work references letter' or fabricated version of one.

OP how are you getting on?

So what if your employer won't give you one?

Its pretty standard, any decent employers will have this request regularly and issue it no problem for people renting and going for mortgages. They state how long you worked there, if you are permanent or on contract, if you are likely to stay employed there and your gross salary. HR will issue these without knowing you at all.

Its pretty standard, any decent employers will have this request regularly and issue it no problem for people renting and going for mortgages.

That's a salary cert you're thinking of I think. Totally different thing to a reference.

It's not actually standard when renting because LL's can't insist on a work reference, it's discrimination.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Graham wrote: »
    Personally, I'd just give them the deposit back and tell them you won't be proceeding with the tenancy.

Consider it a lucky escape on your part and get on with finding new tenants.

+1

OP didn't say if he actually signed the lease or was it just signed by the tenant while LL was checking the references

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭Tayschren

corelon wrote: »

Does anyone know what I should do with the deposit as now i have an unrented flat due to these guys?

If you have to think about this you are already on your way to becoming a landlord.

Give the money back!

That's a salary cert you're thinking of I think. Totally different thing to a reference.

It's not actually standard when renting because LL's can't insist on a work reference, it's discrimination.

That's not a salary cert, its an employers reference. The bank asked for a work reference when applying for a mortgage and that's what I got. A number of my colleagues were asked for a work reference when renting recently and that's exactly what they got. Any LL with a even half a brain will ask for a work reference.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

the_syco wrote:

People with jobs can qualify for RA too!

That's not a salary cert, its an employers reference. The bank asked for a work reference when applying for a mortgage and that's what I got. A number of my colleagues were asked for a work reference when renting recently and that's exactly what they got. Any LL with a even half a brain will ask for a work reference.

Banks do not ask for a work reference ever, you're just making that up now to make a point. Any LL with half a brain will not leave themselves open to being accused of discrimination.

Banks do not ask for a work reference ever, you're just making that up now to make a point. Any LL with half a brain will not leave themselves open to being accused of discrimination.

Ok "employee status report" which is fancy talk for work reference. Well I can't think of anyone renting a full apartment (particularly more high end ones) in the last few years that were not asked for a letter from their employer/work reference. I see people asking from them all the time where I work also. Houseshares/renting room obviously don't get asked at all/as often.

I really really didn't want to give a work reference when I was looking to rent last year. Now, I didn't have any choice as I didn't have a previous landlord reference either.
    But the reason I didn't want to give a work one was because I just didn't feel it was anyone business what I do for a living. If I can pay the rent what does it matter what my job is?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

I can understand faking landlord references, I've been renting for a decade and have never managed to get one out of a landlord (mostly due to cash for rent or just laziness on their part)

Faking a work reference however is a major red flag, in the house a month for cash and then will drop the RA bomb or similar. I wouldn't rent to anybody without a work reference that I could call up to verify, also make sure to google the phone number of the company and ask reception to put you through , wouldn't rely on what the tenant has handed over.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

I really really didn't want to give a work reference when I was looking to rent last year. Now, I didn't have any choice as I didn't have a previous landlord reference either.
    But the reason I didn't want to give a work one was because I just didn't feel it was anyone business what I do for a living. If I can pay the rent what does it matter what my job is?

If you were a builder or a farm hand or similar 'dirty' work , a house with light coloured carpets would be a nightmare for a landlord to keep. Bar staff/ shift work / security - coming home late, if I had a cranky adjoined neighbour who's a light sleeper i'd be looking for a 9-5er , Unable to hand over a work reference usually makes me question drug dealer / house as a grow house etc… too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

I see your logic but it is very simple if a person says they are working you can ask for a work reference if they don't you can assume they are lying. It is actually funny when you are renting places and you show the place. The fronts people put up are often very transparent.
    I have and will rent to RA and HAP but it is based on the person. I have had local drug dealers try to rent off me and it was hysterical as they lied about working and made sure to tell me all about their jobs. They even tried sending in one of their friends to rent the place after I told them I wasn't renting to them. A look out the window and I see them waiting for him. They were high as kites too.LOL

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement