Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best air rifle under €300

Options
  • 31-05-2017 9:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭

I am planning to get my fac and will need a decent air rifle capable of shooting rabbits crows rats . I dont mind second hand guns but ideally I need good stopping power and accuracy. Im told I should avoid springers as im new to air guns. Are gas powered or pcp guns more suited? If so, which ones?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

For 300 you would be better off just buying a .22lr decent air rifles usually cost more than a decent .22 and for what you want it for it seems like a better choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Feckoffcup

Im probably more suited to an airgun because I don't want to annoy neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Depending on where you are shooting (near sheds, yards etc.) an airgun may be a better option than a .22lr.

Weihrauch hw50 , hw57 and bsa lightening grt look great, anyone used these?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

300 is budget territory for an air rifle. A second hand PCP is ideal if you have the backup to have it serviced and of course a source for charging it. Something like a second hand Air Arms s410 or a Weihrauch HW100 are very accurate. Otherwise a bolt action .22 using .22 short rounds ( if you can find them ) is very effective for small game. It really comes down to the effort you want to put into owning the gun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭skipking

you might get a second hand pcp for 300 but you will have to get a pump or dive bottle to fill it. expect to pay between
    200 to 350 for a way to fill it.

skipking wrote: »
    you might get a second hand pcp for 300 but you will have to get a pump or dive bottle to fill it. expect to pay between
    200 to 350 for a way to fill it.
    350 just to fill it ? fck that, way too expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

Feckoffcup wrote: »

On your budget, you can forget pcp rifles if you don't have extra budget for filling them because, as said, you will need a dive tank and filling kit or a decent pump, both of which will set you back between 200-350 give or take.

A good second hand springer or gas ram type would be better for your budget. For who ever told you to stay away from springers, they obviously have some reason but going by your budget, you are better off looking at them.

Keep in mind you are going to need scope, mounts, bipod, etc.
    Also, unless you get something decent, your neighbours are going to probably hear the rifle.

When you say you don't want to annoy them, I'm not sure it it's noise because they are living close.

There are some lovely second hand weihrauch break barrel or lever rifles around from time to time that would be in your budget and Airarms also. Sportsden have a few second hand with/without scopes for about 260 upwards if you look on their website.

Which calibre is best .17 or .22?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

Which calibre is best .17 or .22?

On lower power air rifles, definitely in the 12ft lb category, the 17 has the advantage of a flatter trajectory. A friend of mine hunts with one and he wouldn't go back to a 22. However on high power air rifles, the 22 is often the better choice. I use one myself for years and couldn't be happier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭clawback07

amadablam wrote: »
    On lower power air rifles, definitely in the 12ft lb category, the 17 has the advantage of a flatter trajectory. A friend of mine hunts with one and he wouldn't go back to a 22. However on high power air rifles, the 22 is often the better choice. I use one myself for years and couldn't be happier.

I use a .177 set at 12 ft lb , springer . Accurate , quiet , and excellent for vermin out to 30 yards . After 15 or 20 shots you will be familiar with the hold to maintain accuracy .That's part of the fun of using one !
    I had a FAC rated pcp .Good points ; accurate , lovely to look at . Bad points ; loud (with moderator ) ,too much power at short range , no back up service over here , when regulator , magazine etc started to act up I was on my own .
    I even met the reps of the company at Midlands game fair in U.K to seek advice out lowering the power and they didn't want to know .
    At least with the springer if something goes wrong I can YouTube to resolve it (haven't had to by the way !) . I used a pump to charge my pcp and pumping air to over 3000 lbs pressure will give you shoulders Shrek would envy !
    I'm going to stay with springers for a quiet life !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

He means 350 to buy a 12 liter cylinder + hose and have that filled. In reality you will get a cheaper cylinder by shopping on the UK diving sites who offer airgun accessories as well.
    PCPs have a load of advantages, being suitable almost everywhere ,can shoot off a bipod and are mostly whisper quiet. An Air Arms s200 is a great little budget rifle.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭clawback07

recipio wrote: »
    He means 350 to buy a 12 liter cylinder + hose and have that filled. In reality you will get a cheaper cylinder by shopping on the UK diving sites who offer airgun accessories as well.
    PCPs have a load of advantages, being suitable almost everywhere ,can shoot off a bipod and are mostly whisper quiet. An Air Arms s200 is a great little budget rifle.

With respect a fac rated pcp air rifle is NOT whisper quiet , and remove the moderator off same and there are shot guns which are quieter ! Again , servicing a pcp over here might cause you to regret your decision to purchase one . Speaking from experience !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭ligertigon

I started off with a pcp air rifle (30 ft/lbs). It was heavy, loud, and quite frankly, inhumane to rabbits unless you are spot on, coupled with the loopy trajectory and constantly compensating for drop.

I subsequently got a ,22 LR.
    Quieter ( without moderator), better range, and more humane.
    My pcp set up cost €1000. The 22 LR €350.

200 pellets were costing me €12 plus gas refill of €15
    200 22lr cost €24

As someone said, 22 short ammo turns your 22lr into an air powered equivalent, and you could also use bird shot for rats in sheds. Patrick carley has both in stock.

No brainer if you ask me

• Registered Users Posts: 15 tomidomi

Gamo coyote, very accurate.
    https://youtu.be/I6LWtFRxkgQ

Advertisement