Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mount Kennett Apartments- yay or nay?

• 31-05-2017 9:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭

Asking for a friend. I used to live in Steamboat Quay about 10 years ago and found the area not too bad despite it's awful reputation. Friend who currently lives abroad is considering buying a place in Mount Kennett and renting it out for a year or so before moving back here and possibly living in it herself or selling it on. She's asking me what it's like at the moment but I've no idea. Is it really as bad as people make it out to be? Have the higher rents etc not pushed the rougher elements out?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Mount Kennett is a pretty much ghetto of migrants. I have a friend from Cameroon living there and so is a significant proportion of the African community of Limerick. I don't know if I would call it rough but its a bit run down and seems to be very crowded. It is in a great location through so I am sure you're friend will have no problem renting it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

That's what I thought when I rented in Steamboat Quay- lots of foreign people living around but not particularly rough. Friend is thinking about a place in Mahon House on William St too but all I've heard about that place is that there's lots of drugs around, which you could probably say about a lot of places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Have a friend living in one so I've been in and around it quite a bit.

The design is fairly poor. They were built to minimum standards at the time, and consequently the rents have been low, and that's brought its own problems. A large migrant community lives there and generally it's reasonably well kept. They have recently put more secure locks with access control.

In short, they're crummy enough buildings that are in an excellent location.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

I also know the Mahon House apartments. There's a few rough elements there and the apartments are even crummier than Mount Kenneth. I'd go for the latter if it was a choice between the two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭davo2001

Have a friend that lived their up to last year, the place is a total kip, his car was broken into twice in a year, dispite the "secure" parking.

Found used needles in the building and parking area also. The walls are thin and you can hear whats going up two appartments up.

Would I invest in it? Not a hope in hell.

• Advertisement
Advertisement