Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Criterium du Dauphine 2017 - **official thread

Options
  • 31-05-2017 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 26

"With the stakes high in more ways than one, the Critérium du Dauphiné will take the pack from Saint-Etienne to the Plateau de Solaison for its 69th edition between 4th and 11th June. Several weeks before the Tour de France, the main favourites will do battle, in particular on a hitherto untried climb up the Alpe d'Huez. The three times winner and title holder, Chris Froome, will be up against rivals who have shown themselves to be sharper than him since the start of the season, such as Alejandro Valverde and Alberto Contador, but also Romain Bardet, Dan Martin, Richie Porte, Esteban Chaves or Fabio Aru"

It doesn't kick off until Sunday, but I'll admit I'm already pretty excited.

Looking forward to seeing how our Irish guys get on also.

Who are you picking?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

TopTube wrote: »

Who are you picking?

I think i know who Eurosport are picking.

"And usually when he wins the Dauphine, he wins the Tour". Bloody ad all through the Giro done my head in.

Any chance we can have Rob over pronunciation Hatch back for this?

Glad I bit the bullet and took eurosport up on their half price sub last week, plenty of bike racing between now and October.

Really looking forward to this myself and to see what kind of shape Froome is in. Last I saw of him was in Romandie I think and he had some issue with his back iirc :confused:

Like to see Richie Porte do well in this, he's been looking pretty good already this year. Himself or Valverde to win if I have to call it.

Maybe we should keep the Giro joke going but refer to Dan as Sam Bennet for this one :pac:

EDIT : Preview write up with more info on riders and teams taking part here , and a little on Stages http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/criterium-du-dauphine-2017/preview/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Everyone has been to altitude camps in the last weeks so we will see

Some of the parcours really suit Dan Martin ...at least 2 stages he can win ....depends on Valverde and Kwaito . Not really certain about Chaves form right now but has Simon Yates who could also win some of these stages. Nico Roche is flying at the moment but is Richie's top helper but some of the steep finales could suit him if he gets a chance

The longer climbs of course will be played out between Froome, Porte and Contador

With Bardet , Talansky, Konig, Aru , Barguil for the top 10

Tony Martin for the TT and Bouhanni for the sprints

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

I see the French open is also on same week, hopefully that wont mean the CDD gets bumped.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Top notch field for this one, should make for a great race and get us all in the mood for the Tour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,536 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I wonder will we get a tour diary if Nico is riding for BMC in support of Porte.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

bazermc wrote: »
    I see the French open is also on same week, hopefully that wont mean the CDD gets bumped.

Had a look at listing on RTE website there, as ES player only lists next 2 days.

Sunday 12:35 - 14:15 and 21:00 - 22:30
    Monday 14:00 - 15:30 and 21:00 - 22:30
    Tuesday 18:35 - 19:55 and 21:00 - 22:30

Wednesday is the same as tuesday and thats as far as the guide goes, could change and the player app might have more coverage during the day but if those are correct theres no live TV coverage mid week?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Glad I bit the bullet and took eurosport up on their half price sub last week, plenty of bike racing between now and October

is this €29.99 for the year? i see that offer until June 11th, could well be worth a punt.

edit...Giro final TT was on eurosport 2 last weekend, with tennis on 1. might work the same?

is this €29.99 for the year? i see that offer until June 11th, could well be worth a punt.

edit...Giro final TT was on eurosport 2 last weekend, with tennis on 1. might work the same?

Yeah I was on the fence as I was subbing month to month when there was stuff I wanted to watch and cancelling straight away least I forget but they seem to have done away with the 6.99 a month sub and now only have 4.99 a day or 59.99 a year. Seeing the 29.99 sale option I took the plunge as they have exclusive coverage of the Vuelta this year too. Just be sure to set a reminder on your phone as you can't cancel it until the final month.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,536 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Eurosport 2 has live coverage 1400 - 1530 until friday.
    There's live coverage on Saturday and Sunday 1230-2ish.

Europspot 1 seems to be given over to the tennis.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I think i know who Eurosport are picking.

"And usually when he wins the Dauphine, he wins the Tour". Bloody ad all through the Giro done my head in.

Any chance we can have Rob over pronunciation Hatch back for this?

Great thing about the player is you often get the raw feed - just picture and background noise - no inane commentary no ads

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Great thing about the player is you often get the raw feed - just picture and background noise - no inane commentary no ads

Yeah...great when, like me your watching (when you shouldn't be) with the sound turned down.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Is this "official thread" sanctioned by the ASO?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

You mean, NO Kirby!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 TopTube

As long as King Kelly is on the mic - the "super domestique", I can put up with the rest.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Always a great event, stellar lineup this year too.

Did anyone notice Kirby has gotten to almost crying (or wailing) now when one of his favourites wins...sigh

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭Macy0161

ITV4 has nightly highlights too, I think. Seem to have bumped last years live coverage for the French Open unfortunately (depending on who's commentating on the respective channels - Boulting > Kirby, Hatch > Boulting, anyone > Phil and Paul)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭nilhg

I had the chance to ride up the Col de la Sarenne last September, lovely tough climb, but in reality a goat track compared to the usual roads the big races climb in that area (croix de Fer/Glandon, Galibier ect)

418829.jpg

Going to be interesting to see how the riders react but also how the big race caravan gets over it.

nilhg wrote: »
    I had the chance to ride up the Col de la Sarenne last September, lovely tough climb, but in reality a goat track compared to the usual roads the big races climb in that area (croix de Fer/Glandon, Galibier ect)

Going to be interesting to see how the riders react but also how the big race caravan gets over it.

hasn't the tour either climbed or descended it in recent years?

google answered my question! http://www.letour.com/le-tour/2013/us/stage-18/news/flm/victory-for-france-riblon-conquers-the-alpe.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭lissard

That was the descent when we had the double Alpe d'Huez a few years ago. One of my favourite stages, think the descent of the Sarenne was pretty eventful with one guy dropping a chain and then Riblon going into a stream off the side of the road. He somehow got back on and took the only French win that year.

Just looked up ES UK TV schedule on my BT TV and no live action list for Tuesday to Friday next ...aaaahhhhhhhh

MPFGLB wrote: »
    Just looked up ES UK TV schedule on my BT TV and no live action list for Tuesday to Friday next ...aaaahhhhhhhh

did you also check ES 2?

edit: app looks like it should have it live, app tv schedule does suggest it might not be on because of tennis.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

TopTube wrote: »
    ... such as Alejandro Valverde and Alberto Contador, but also Romain Bardet, Dan Martin, Richie Porte, Esteban Chaves or Fabio Aru

Who are you picking?

Is it the REAL Dan Martin that's competing? :P

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Froome is going to win it.

Contador is going to extensively discuss his sensations and come up short.

Porte is going to finish 2nd. Valverde 3rd.

It's a great race, why they changed the name I'll never understand. Dauphine Libre was way cooler.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

If the Froome thats won 3 times shows up , I'd say you're right but hasn't looked at all good this year in the 2 events I've seen him in certainly not as good as Porte has gone, that said I'm reminded to go check what the full sky team is for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Brian? wrote: »

usually when he wins the Dauphine, he wins the Tour

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

Brian? wrote: »

Contador is going to extensively discuss his sensations and come up short.

Porte is going to finish 2nd. Valverde 3rd.

It's a great race, why they changed the name I'll never understand. Dauphine Libre was way cooler.

The Dauphine Libere newspaper stopped sponsoring the race in 2009 and ASO took over hence the name change

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Fair play to Dan Martin doing this so soon after the Giro !! :D

• Advertisement

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    Fair play to Dan Martin doing this so soon after the Giro !! :D

legs on that man are something else, go Sam Martin & Dan Bennet :pac:

Advertisement