Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Criterium du Dauphine 2017 - **official thread

Options

Comments

neris wrote: »
    did ne 1 watching today online have commentary

None on ES Player, normally I wouldn't expect any there but seeing as they had no live coverage on TV I did expect to hear Kirby. Indeed on Sunday the player feed had commentary.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

my feed only had that uci feed that has no commentary but on twitter people were saying they had commentary. multiple tennis channels and they couldnt give 1 channel over for cycling with commentary

• Registered Users Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Melodeon

The delayed coverage has been pushed back even further until 7:15 now, for continued coverage of people I've never heard of batting a little ball back and forth :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Melodeon

^
    |
    |
    Belay that, it's starting NOW!

Really annoying how long it takes them to get videos up for replay on the player if at all for the non GT events. Don't think they bothered with Belgium a week or so ago, did they even air it ? I'm convinced they showed stage one and then didn't bother with the rest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

An hour of highlights on ITV4 (free to air) every night. Watching on +1 now....

EC1000 wrote: »
    An hour of highlights on ITV4 (free to air) every night. Watching on +1 now....

No Kirby to listen to either , did they show the break away getting away even or was it last 40km like eurosport?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

No Kirby to listen to either , did they show the break away getting away even or was it last 40km like eurosport?

Missed the first few mins so not sure how much of the early action was shown. Good coordination by the breakaway in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭Macy0161

EC1000 wrote: »
    Missed the first few mins so not sure how much of the early action was shown. Good coordination by the breakaway in fairness.
    I think they mentioned about how the Tour is showing the complete stages so they can see the break forming, which I took as the host broadcaster not showing the complete stage tbh.

We were spoiled with the Giro a few weeks ago , this time out though I really don't think much of note has happened before live coverage started.

TT today, most of the GC contenders are off shortly after live coverage beings at 2pm. Times I saw I assume are +1 to us? Should go live towards the end of Tony Martins run if I assume correctly :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

I had it on ES here in Poland with CK and MS.

Dan Martin almost forgetting zip up his top as he was getting the beeps to start :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Nico lying 6th so far in intermeditate ...just behind Contador

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Just going by live text updates, it seems like Porte has done a super fast time

Porte is looking fantastic this year so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Great ride by de Ghent, Porte in superb form

419310.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

Hard to know what to make of Froome. Is he descending to earth as a rider - which is hardly likely, though his rise in the first place was I suppose far less likely again - or is he trying to pace his form very much to peak for the Tour? So used to him winning any stage race he's been in from early season onwards. Is the Tour layout tt centred to much degree or more or less to be decided in the mountains? - so he might be focusing more on that side of things.

Having said that, Porte must be seriously flying it.

pelevin wrote: »
    Hard to know what to make of Froome. Is he descending to earth as a rider - which is hardly likely, though his rise in the first place was I suppose far less likely again - or is he trying to pace his form very much to peak for the Tour? So used to him winning any stage race he's been in from early season onwards. Is the Tour layout tt centred to much degree or more or less to be decided in the mountains?

I like the look of it to be honest. Route etc. here http://www.letour.fr/le-tour/2017/us/overall-route.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Penny for Tony Martin's thoughts on that result...

• Advertisement

velo.2010 wrote: »

He thought that he won it until he didn't.

Porte is the Oz TT champ so has form in TTs so it's not surprising to see him take the win when he could gain some time on the other "big" favourites when he could probably be expected to ship a little bit in the high mountains.

velo.2010 wrote: »

Well it wasn't a foregone conclusion that Tony Martin would win today.

Richie Porte has been top class at TTs for a long time

419316.PNG

And Tony Martin isn't as good as he used to be; the World Championships last year being the exception...

419317.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

Especially if you look beyond Porte & times in relation to him, that seems not a bad tt at all for Dan Martin.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭smurphy29

It was a reasonably hilly TT, which might just have been enough to swing it in Porte's favour. Martin would have preferred a longer, flatter effort.

Serious statement of intent from Porte. He is shaping up to be the main contender to Froome for the tour. He has always been a great week-long stage racer, will this be the year he finally delivers his best in a GT? He has always thrown int he 'one bad day' before, or had mishaps and thrown in the towel.

It is also not beyond the bounds of possibility that Valverde could be a contender. Great time trial today, he really is the man for all seasons. He could do a Sean Kelly type performance where he goes for all the time bonuses he can muster to give himself a lead to defend. There aren't that many seriously high mountains - his one weakness - this year to trouble him.

Also, well done to both Nico and Dan who posted solid tests today.

Hard to know what to make of Froome. Is he descending to earth as a rider - which is hardly likely, though his rise in the first place was I suppose far less likely again - or is he trying to pace his form very much to peak for the Tour? So used to him winning any stage race he's been in from early season onwards. Is the Tour layout tt centred to much degree or more or less to be decided in the mountains? - so he might be focusing more on that side of things.

It's a bit of an odd parcours this year...
    Not too much TT, just a flat 14km ITT on Stage 1 and a flat (albeit with a very short 1km but steep climb) 22.5km ITT on the penultimate stage. It isn't very mountainous either, especially compared to the Giro/Vuelta or even to the previous few years of the Tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

It's a bit of an odd parcours this year...
    Not too much TT, just a flat 14km ITT on Stage 1 and a flat (albeit with a very short 1km but steep climb) 22.5km ITT on the penultimate stage. It isn't very mountainous either, especially compared to the Giro/Vuelta or even to the previous few years of the Tour.

Meaning there should be tighter time gaps throughout the race, ie, there won't be a stage where Froome kills it and we all go 'ah FFS, the Tour is over after one week'. Saying that, we will get an idea of who may be strongest as early as Stage 5. Although relatively short, the climb to La Planches des Belles Filles has proved fairly decisive the two times the race has finished there.

Especially if you look beyond Porte & times in relation to him, that seems not a bad tt at all for Dan Martin.

There was a piece with him on Cycling News i think it was during the week, saying he was hoping for an improved TT ahead of the tour.

Watch Sagan in Le Tour. He will be in yellow for a good bit I'd wager.

• Advertisement

Nico's had an off early on today but bike changed and back on the peleton. Hopefully not hurt.

EDIT: Just a heads up it's back live on ES2 today at 2pm

Advertisement