Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Criterium du Dauphine 2017 - **official thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭Somedude9

Dan pushes Froome of the podium with a second :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

pelevin wrote: »
    I think Froome has inadvertently done a mighty favour to Porte's career today if Porte is to really become a serious champion. Froome was conceding victory to Porte yesterday & saying he was happy for him. If ever Porte is to be a champion in the highest sense he has to realise fellow contenders like Foome are not his friends on the road. Sounds like on the road Froome was screwing with him, letting Porte & himself get distanced, sitting on his wheel then putting in a big attack & giving all he got for victory over Porte. Not the actions of someone happy that Porte would win the overall! - which anyway is what competitors are supposed to do, try to win, not disingenuously happily concede victory to their friends. Seems like this misreading of things cost Porte the overall as I presume he was back with Froome distanced from Dan Martin, Fuglsang group cos of focusing on Froome who I imagine was playing with him. Similarly the other day Porte was saying Froome would have helped share the load if he could but had nothing in the legs. This despite Froome trying to distance him on the descent afterwards.

I'd imagine the lesson of it being a dog-eat-dog world & the need for mental toughness would have hit home now for Porte but I'd imagine the BMC team would be really drilling it into him now regardless. People like Froome are not his friends! On Froome's side, the gains of waking up Porte to the reality didn't pay off as I imagine their racing relationship will have changed a fair bit now. I remember last year's Dauphine when pathetically Porte wouldn't add to the attacks I think Contador & Dan were putting in on Froome on a key mountain stage, instead rode as his docile domestique to keep things together. There doesn't need to be any more wake-up calls now surely for Richie if he's got what it takes.

i dont think portes a gt winner and going by todays stage bmc have alot to do aswell to give him support on the longer hilly stages. he was caught napping by froome and while he caught back up he would have used alot of energy to get back that time. todays stage was short and he had no support unlike sky who MK up the road that froome brdged over to. portes more a week long racer.

Much have held on a while? Normally I'd expect a fine and time penalty.

EDIT: Actually wasn't Vincenzo DQ'd from the Veulta for the same thing ???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

So following kirbys logic does this mean Fuslang is going to win the tour?

• Advertisement

bazermc wrote: »
    So following kirbys logic does this mean Fuslang is going to win the tour?

No only applies to froome

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Dan seems to be in decent form, and just noticed he's a whopping 150/1 with skybet for the tour! Each-way is quarter the odds for top 3 places, so that's roughly 37/1 for Dan to make the TDF podium...that deserves a few shekels to be thrown on it...

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭wpd

BMC team must be in crisis tonight, I would think Porte is going mad

If i was Porte I wouldnt want any of them on the TDF after that display especially Roche, he seemed to do nothing all week

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

wpd wrote: »
    BMC team must be in crisis tonight, I would think Porte is going mad

If i was Porte I wouldnt want any of them on the TDF after that display especially Roche, he seemed to do nothing all week

Roche is getting 800k a year to be the man as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Most of the BMC TDF team are at the Tour de Suisse. With a couple of other guys to bring, Roche could find himself fighting for a Tour spot.... if it wasn't for his pay packet which almost demands him to be there if only to justify it.

If Froome didn't have such a ridiculously strong team, then it might be a very open affair this year. Froome, Kwia, Henao, Thomas, Landa, Poels*, Kennaugh, Rowe, Stannard.
    *If he's not ready maybe another rouler like Kiri or Knees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭rtmie

It will be interesting to see BMC team for TdF, will they go with the full bet on Porte for GC. They will presumably have the likes of Oss back in. Will they use Tejay as a mountain Dom for Porte?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

It was not necessarily only a BMC team issue - Porte did not have the legs today. While he chased and passed Froome, he did not catch Fulsang, may not have got any time back on him on the last climb. I would not be 100% certain on that. You can't blame his team for that. Bar Sky and Astana, it was man on man. Kiaw got dropped when the pace went up and Aru was probably riding for himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Porte did fine; he was mobbed. This is why there are teams in cycling. :pac:

When it comes to the final climb of a fast paced /hard stage not many teams resemble the utopia you paint....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

neris wrote: »
    id say aru would rather help froome win then see his team mate win

Not sure where that's coming from. For instance Aru put in a great, selfless ride last year setting up Nibali in the Olympics, & I'd say today's was very much the ride of a teammate turning things chaotic for Fuglsang, & here's what Fuglsang said:

“We planned it very well with Fabio (Aru) attacking (with Alejandro Valverde in the col de la Colombiere) and everything went in our favour.

“We played really smart. Froome had to pull after Fabio and Valv. I tried to keep cool all day, and without pushing too much I went for the stage win and I got it all.”

The Dane said the victory was a warning shot at rival teams for the July 1-23 Tour de France.

“There’s still a long way to the Tour but I’m really happy with my condition now. I’ll have to take it easy onto the Tour,” he said. “With Fabio we’ll form a good couple for the Tour. We’ll share the leadership and we have a good team.”

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Just watching coverage on Eurosport... assumed it was live... Checked this thread...

D'oh!!!!!
    *facepalm*

yeah they seemed to take poetic license with the 'live' description!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Usual bashing of Nicolas Roche on here Any faulure must be all kl down to him And how what he gets paid is anyones buainess I didnt see the llast few days but i do know he had a bad crash a few days ago and went over the handkebars into a car .Maybe stop throwing mud untiil the facts are known Talking bout his salary is just begrudgry and only com
    3Cnenting to have a go say more about the commentor than about Roche

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Eh try read the thread again and you'll see one comment about roche performance and multiple posts defending him....

MPFGLB wrote: »
    Usual bashing of Nicolas Roche on here Any faulure must be all kl down to him And how what he gets paid is anyones buainess I didnt see the llast few days but i do know he had a bad crash a few days ago and went over the handkebars into a car .Maybe stop throwing mud untiil the facts are known Talking bout his salary is just begrudgry and only com

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Eh try read the thread again and you'll see one comment about roche performance and multiple posts defending him....

Eh ?iread whole thread and its how much he gets paid how he was esp bad and how he will be lucky ro make Tour team and i see no defense

• Registered Users Posts: 30,536 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

A bit of a 'mea culpa' in Nico's tour diaries...

"Today the team and I failed Richie and we lost the race"
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/cycling/today-the-team-and-i-failed-richie-and-we-lost-the-race-35815192.html

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Nico Roche should definitely stop bashing Nico Roche until all the facts are known.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,783 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

He let Porte down to a degree but the same can be said for every rider in the peloton bar Aru helping Fuglsang and Kwiatkowski helping Froome

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭not sane

Roche was not going well all week. He was suffering even on the wheels. Know the feeling

I'd say the majority of teams were struggling to assist their GC men after the last 3 days. Even a normally strong Movistar suffered and had no one there to help Valverde , not like you'd see Quintana assisted.

Sky and Astana being the exceptions I think , and even then Fuglsang wasn't assisted really by Aru, he just happened to be in the break and pulled back before Fuglsang went with Dan. Kwiatkowski was incredible , 3 times he assisted Froome in a big way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

Going from Fuglang's words, Aru didn't just happen to be in the break.
    “We planned it very well with Fabio (Aru) attacking (with Alejandro Valverde in the col de la Colombiere) and everything went in our favour.

“We played really smart. Froome had to pull after Fabio and Valv. I tried to keep cool all day, and without pushing too much I went for the stage win and I got it all."

And Porte said: "Aru has gone up the road and then no one else is going to ride. There's only so long that you can sit there and gamble for the race. I was there to try and win and I had to chase."

Aru did a great job for his teammate, though obviously luck has to fall your way also afterwards the way things pan out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

TJ was straight onto the DS for the Tour:

"I got this. This IS my year. You can count on me boss."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Stephen, is that you? Were you on the red wine again?

Listening to Porte in ITV last night he was not pleased. Saying "others did not want me to win the race and were willing to risk their position so that I did not win. Just wait for July" and later something like " Let's see how things are in July"

On a different note, ITV saying something about just realising that stages like that deserve to be covered from rollout to finish, so that's what we are going to do in July. Every stage start to finish live!! Edit: I can't see how every stage is live but they are saying 90hrs of live coverage. See here:

http://www.itv.com/tourdefrance/tv-schedule/tv-schedule-when-to-watch-le-tour-2016-live-on-itv4

Can't wait for July...its going to be "Exciting"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

ITV are bloody worse than Eurosport for ads though, and at least with Eurosport they front load the coverage​ with them, ITV don't.

• Advertisement

ThisRegard wrote: »
    ITV are bloody worse than Eurosport for ads though, and at least with Eurosport they front load the coverage​ with them, ITV don't.

ITV 4 is free for me on Freesat so I can't even begin to complain about ads! IMO the ads are not an issue. For lots of stages, nothing happens in the 2/3mins of an ad break.

Advertisement