Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

6 year gap in CV

• 31-05-2017 1:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Regular poster going unregged here

I've a 6 year gap on mine, and I'm basically f'd same position as OP but bigger gap and I get a response to maybe 1 in 20 applications , no shortage of work in the sector but how do you explain away the gap without going into gory personal details. No agency is going to send you for interview without knowing the specifics and I've done further education to keep current. Even applying for entry level positions meets with silence,

How do you explain away I was messed up mentally but im ok now :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I'm not a good liar but I do not want to discuss the truth with an employer of a failed attempt on my life and a long recovery.

DSP have me down to meet with TUS next week. I see it as an opportunity finally but I'm worried they and any one they send me for interview with are going to ask me to explain 6 years. Saying I had family commitments wouldn't cut it for me if I was interviewing someone I'd expect a bit more, also I'm not sure how to broach the gap on cover letters when applying for positions. I'm pretty casual with a vague "looking to rejoin workforce" theme to those.

Calls I get from employers and agencies range from some sympathetic ones giving good advice like focus on going forward, willing and able to work etc , don't take a job or volunteer at something that doesn't have a connection to what you want to do , to the bluntly honest ones that tell me a different story. As you can imagine I'm at the point now where it's pointless sending my cv to many places as they have seen it so many times they likely instantly bin it and think I'm some kind of troll or something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement